Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

A zero-feedbacker on eBay just did 'buy it now' on a high value set

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited March 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Unfortunately, these days you cant block people with very low feedback from buying your stuff.
Someone with zero feedback, in France, has just bought a £500 Lego set.
I think i should probably cancel it - anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    It would be nice to give people a chance and we all have to start somewhere but to me it sounds like hassle waiting to happen. I would cancel.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    I sold buy it now to 0 feedbacks.
    what I do is I put paypal payment immediate, then you do not have any problem.

I had may be 1-2 bad experience with 0 feedbacks people, but rest was good.
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    Would I be correct to presume that they didn't email first, I'm guessing you would not be asking here if they had? We all have to start somewhere on eBay, but the very least they could have done was to have contacted you first, especially on a set of this value.

Considering the value, cancelling it would seem to be the safe/sensible option. Are you allowed to do that though? Would that not be marked against you as a non-performing seller? I'm not really especially up on the rules for selling these days as I only sell (occasionally) low value items.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    I've had a lot of non-paying zero feedback buyers before. Now I ask them to contact me before they bid/buy.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    It's a tough call. Did your listing indicate that 0 feedback bidders should contact you first? If not, eBay may ding you if the buyer complains. Transversely, if the buyer paid through PayPal, you should be protected on all fronts, though the hassle you'd have to put up with if this is indeed a scam buyer may not be worth it. I'd say contact eBay... but their customer service is notoriously bad. They really need to take a page from LEGO's book on that one.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    I would email them first to get a 'feel' for how you think it will turn out. make a decision after that.
  • morbiczermorbiczer Member Posts: 50
    TBH, you should have considered all these things before listing the item.

How would you feel if you win (buy) an item on ebay, and the seller cancels the transaction just like that?
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    from my recent experience with 0 FB Ebayers , enter the postage send invoice and they wont pay.

be careful though as paypal europe declare cash as received whilst it is still clearing, i'd wait 48 hours before sending if he does pay
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    I get those zero feedback people all the time. I give them the benefit of the doubt. However half do not pay. Lately, it's been - "Oh sorry, my 3-year-old bought this on our ipad, can I cancel the transaction?" Grrrrrr.

If they pay, make sure it's insured. But I would email them separately to find out if they intend to pay. Otherwise, you'll have to wait a few weeks to get your fees back before you can relist.
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    Ebay really has gone to the dogs since i first joined nearly 10years ago. recently been ban for the five star feedback system. zero rates are normally a waste of time but some times they come through. for a high priced item I'd contact them and tell them they really should of contacted you first. invoice them and see if they pay. one thing when you send it get signed for option as paypal Will find in there favour if they say it doesn't arrive.

Just cover your self and next time put something in the description about zeros
  • bahnstormerbahnstormer Member Posts: 180
    ^^
    prevere , worth remembering that a transaction cancelled by mutual consent still allows buyer to leave feedback. they cant when cancelled for non-payment.

had a few like yours and I always tell them ebay cancel it automatically after X days. Most people swallow it, a few come back with threats but a simple point in the direction of the rules about allowing a 3rd party access is a breach of their contract and they back off.

a few years back ebay let someone off the strike and she left me a neg. I threatened to go to the press. Neg got reversed and her account got suspended, not had any problems since.

• vader34mtvader34mt Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2012
    @Hob "for a high priced item I'd contact them and tell them they really should of contacted you first"

if he said something about it in the listing then yes. If he didn't then no where in ebay's rules does it say that a potential buyer should contact the seller first

this person could have more money then God and may have just joined ebay specifically to start collecting high price lego sets

the protection is there, just see if the person pays...wait til the payment clears then ship

to all of you who say cancel, if you were on the other side of this argument, just bought the lego set of your dreams at what you considered a fair price and then the seller cancelled the transaction, you'd be fuming

what is an acceptable amount of feedback then? My feedback is only 25, and I haven't really bought anything over 100 dollars yet. Am I an unfit buyer to all of you? And I have paid for every item minutes after it ended.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,335
    As someone stated above, make it so that all your BIN listings require immediate paypal payment - even if a buyer clicks commit to buy, the listing stays live until payment is made, no need to invoice.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited March 2012
    I should add that they have already paid me! Im more concerned about chargebacks, false 'item not described' reports etc.

Cheers for the advice, I've emailed him and I'll see what he says. Wasnt entirely sure what I was asking him, so I just asked him to confirm his shipping address.

Next time I will definitely add 'no zero feedbackers' to the listing. So many things to remember to include!
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited March 2012
    He's replied straight back to confirm his shipping address, and it's the same as what's in paypal, so he's not trying any funny business with that.

However, in Google street view, his address seems to be in some kind of rural semi-delelict industrial estate, and according to google his address looks like this. It thinks his address is the metal hut on the left!

It does seem fishy to me.

So if I cancel it and do a refund, I'm risking a negative feedback, losing £50 paypal fee, plus my listing fee, as well as ebay putting a mark against me as a non-performing seller - what does it mean if they do that?
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    ^ It could be that it's a new development - some of the pics on streetview are getting a bit old now - I know that haven't done the area around me for about three years now.

Take pictures of exactly what is being sent before you package it, make sure that the buyer understands that it is their liability if they don't have insurance and keep your fingers crosssed... if you do want to highlight any concerns, do it via the Ebay messaging system as it will mean that they have a record of your prior concerns too if there are any issues later on.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    I've also found feedback or lack of it not to necessarily be a fair indicator. I've just sold a set to someone with a feedback rating of 2, and those are for transactions that were a long time ago. However they don't seem to leave feedback for sellers and I know a lot of sellers won't leave feedback until they receive it so that might be the reason for their low score. In fact at the moment I'd suggest my feedback rates from buyers are down around the 20% level and that is even after I ask for it in my packing slip. So they could well have made a 10 or more transactions but not sought the feedback - as a lot of new buyers don't realise why they should bother with it and hence not received any.

Having said that this was a £200 set and in the UK with insurance and tracking. I also used Google streetview which initially showed me a field! ...but moving around the corner showed a £1M+ house.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,821
    ^ I would probably go ahead but be water tight on shipping & insurance, even if it means spending another £15. Paypal covers the rest of the transaction.
  • mobimobi Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2012
    For high value items, it is better not to take Paypal at all. A dishonest buyer can shaft sellers much easily with Paypal rather than a cheque or other method of payment. For buyers, Paypal is better though :-)
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    FWIW, a few months ago I had someone with 1 feedback buy more than one GG from me. The one feedback was from the day before on a purchase of a CC. Seemed fishy to me as well, but I spoke to some other sellers and eBay themselves and they said as long as he paid, and you have tracking/insurance/proof of delivery, etc. I should be okay. And I was. No problem at all with the transaction. Though I admit I was nervous until the buyer left feedback.

Good luck!
  • AnseltheCatAnseltheCat Member Posts: 141
    ^ Good advice from a very fitting username!

I think the important part is the tracking/insurance/proof of delivery bit. We should all be doing this for any high value item, however good their feedback appears to be.

@mr_benn It is not the buyers responsibility if they do not have insurance. Why would they need insurance? If you buy an item from Amazon/Play/[email protected] do you take out an insurance policy to make sure it arrives?

The seller is the one that requires insurance to cover non-delivery/damage as it is their responsibility to ensure the item is delivered safely.
  • BalloonistBalloonist Member Posts: 52
    Use Interparcel.com economy service. It'll go by road fully tracked with UPS in about three days. Never had a problem selling abroad but always ensure it is well wrapped. I understand your concerns though having sent GGs Taj Mahals etc to very low rated ebayers abroad. Just cover all the bases and you should be fine.