Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How expensive is too expensive?

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 5,159
edited November 14 in Brickset.com articles
How expensive is too expensive?

LEGO products have gradually increased in size, complexity and element count throughout their history. However, that formerly cautious growth has recently accelerated dramatically.

Prices have increased accordingly, following the development of larger and more ambitious creations. 75313 AT-AT epitomises such changes, becoming the most expensive set outright in the UK and matching 75192 Millennium Falcon elsewhere. Discussion has surrounded these rising prices throughout 2021, particularly with the expanding selection of enormous and therefore expensive products.

Continue reading »

© 2021 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 250
    *grabs popcorn*
    I'm beginning to think the sky's the limit!  I'll be very curious to see how Nov 26th plays out.  Depending on where my work schedule puts me on that day, I'll either attempt to order an AT-AT online (ugh) or don my riot gear and actually visit a mall. *shudders*
    Either way, if this thing disappears like a fart in the wind on release day, then becomes unobtainium for months, then I think we have our answer to the question posed in this topic. 
    SumoLegoandheMarshallmariopxchriskiki180703gmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,361
    I get all of my unobtainum from a guy on SoundCloud.
    lowleadpxchrisKungFuKennykiki180703Yellowcastle
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,080
    Currently I don't have a ceiling, but value for money really counts for me.

I was certain I was going to buy the UCS AT-AT, until I saw the pricing. £100 more than the MF? That was a record breaking price only a few years ago, and they've broken that record again, but with a set that has fewer parts and 25% less weight. For me that's poor value for money. It's even more galling when you see the US pricing of $800, I feel they're getting a much better deal and the UK is getting ripped off.

I will not buy that set without discount, I'm adamant about that.
    BumblepantsBrainsluggedbandit778kiki180703gmonkey76
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,507
    I voted $1000, not that I'd ever spend that (my personal non-special-occasion limit is probably like £50 :D) but I really want to see what a $1000 set looks like.

Pretty sure we'll see that in the next 5 years if not sooner, judging by the way sets sizes and prices have expolded even within that last couple of years.
    lowlead
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,984
    I think I am starting to really reach my limit on what I can afford with out having to start spreading the cost out. There will always be people who can afford it and I do begrudge them getting this set. But for me I am starting to have to decide if I buy a load of the smaller sets that I would like or if I save up for this one set. It seems like it is becoming more and more like Apple nice products but over priced for what you get. 
    andhebandit778gmonkey76BlueTaco
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,923
    I enjoy seeing the big sets in a store, so it wouldn't really bother me if they had stuck at below £500, go to £1000 or £5000. I doubt the number of people buying a £5000 set would be that different to a £1000 set, so might as well go big! The limit is probably more practical - down to how much they can fit in a single box that can be carried or wheeled around. If they have to start breaking sets across multiple boxes, then mistakes will be made with sets getting separated.

I'd never pay that much though, as (i) I've pretty much run out of space for display and (ii) for that price, I'd prefer to build my own designs rather than LEGO's designs. And that means I can slowly build up a design more like a MBS set composed of multiple builds that are somewhat independent instead of a UCS set of one huge build. I think multiple builds displayed together are more interesting over a period of time than a single big build, although in isolation the big build might look more impressive.

lowleadKungFuKennyYellowcastle
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,084
    I'm just glad it's not a spaceship. That's my goto, and it would be hard (but do-able) to say No based on the awful PPP ratio.
    lowlead
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,689
    CCC said:
    The limit is probably more practical - down to how much they can fit in a single box that can be carried or wheeled around.
    ^ This.

Depending on the subject matter I think some AFOLs would potentially pay thousands for a set - consider how much some of us have shelled out on huge MOCs, for instance - but practical considerations like packaging and shipping could end up defining the upper limit.
    lowleadbandit778kiki180703Yellowcastle
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,293
    Personally, for me it doesn't come down to final price but what you get for that final price.

The UCS M.F. was a must have as I love the ship and every fond memory that it conjours up when I see or hear it, so the £650 was worth every penny.

The Star Destroyer set doesn't do that for me as it doesn't hold the same wow factor that the Falcon does and the finished product itself is fairly boring as display pieces go as it has none of the play features or internals that made the Falcon that little bit special so the set wasn't worth the £650 price tag (to me).

That being said, I will end up spending a lot more than that on Raskolnikov's version of the Star Destroyer just because it comes with the removable sections, internal builds & even a mini hanger bay which, to me, makes the build and the finished product worth the money.
    The added bonus for those on a budget, building from parts has the benifit that the cost doesn't have to be spent all in one go and I still get to build it at the end whereas any of these large sets might dissapear after 2-3 years and would be missed out on if the funds aren't available at the time.
    lowleadKungFuKennyarathemisRedbullgivesuwindkiki180703Yellowcastle
    I have another theory why the UK RRP is so high...

During the COVID lockdown, the price of puppies went up from about £800 to around £2500 (its well on its way back down now as all those people on furlough have gone back to work). I think Lego have recognised that the AT-AT is basically a mechanical dog with cheek and chin weaponry and decided that we in the UK are willing to overpay for dogs, even mechanical ones.
    HAAAA!!  I read, I laugh. =oD
    And to echo @bandit778 value is always in the eye of the buyer.  For example, I would never purchase a Death Star II for $500, let alone 8 or $900.  But a new $1200 Super Star Destroyer (done accurately, this time)...I'm listening...

bandit778andhe
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,009
    I am confused with the pricing across the world. In Switzerland the Millennium falcon is 999 Swiss Francs, and the AT-AT is 879, so cheaper!!!! I think that the Millennium falcon is way overpriced in Switzerland so may be Lego have realized that it doesn`t sell as well. I presume in the UK, the Millennium falcon sold well, so they are pushing the boundaries.

Whilst I love the Millennium falcon, its rather large and difficult to find space, and very expensive. However, I am really tempted by the AT-AT. I think that it is much easier to find a space for this for display! If it goes on discount in various stores, I would be very tempted! Having said that, I can think of so many other sets totally that price that I would love so its difficult to justify spending on one set vs 2-3 sets. 
    KungFuKenny
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,614
    I've never spent more than $250 on a single new set before... so I'm definitely out of the target demographic here.
    SumoLegoKungFuKennyMr_CrossMarshallmario
    I'm already delighting in the anticipated complaints years from now when sets like these are in the past, and all that LEGO sells are buckets of bricks.

(After the inflationary crash, zombie apocalypse, climate catastrophe, nuclear meltdown, or whatnot.)
    KungFuKennyMr_Cross
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 640
    The most I've ever spent for a single new set is $399.99, so I voted $500 as my upper limit in the poll.  In reality though, at this point I'm more interested in building my own stuff, and that leads down a whole other cost trail.
    BumblepantsKungFuKennyrd1899Mr_Crosskiki180703
    SumoLego said:
    I'm already delighting in the anticipated complaints years from now when sets like these are in the past, and all that LEGO sells are buckets of bricks.

(After the inflationary crash, zombie apocalypse, climate catastrophe, nuclear meltdown, or whatnot.)
    Buckets of brucks? It will be cardboard boxes of wooden bricks by then.
    SumoLegomsanders
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 289
    Just thrilled that I am NOT a Star Wars fan!
    pxchrisFollowsCloselygratefulnatshikadimnbvc
    CCC said:
    Buckets of brucks? It will be cardboard boxes of wooden bricks by then.
    A burlap sack of bark bricks.  

When can I get my hoverchair on the Axiom?
    andheMr_Cross
    msanders said:
    I am confused with the pricing across the world. In Switzerland the Millennium falcon is 999 Swiss Francs, and the AT-AT is 879, so cheaper!!!! I think that the Millennium falcon is way overpriced in Switzerland so may be Lego have realized that it doesn`t sell as well. I presume in the UK, the Millennium falcon sold well, so they are pushing the boundaries.

Whilst I love the Millennium falcon, its rather large and difficult to find space, and very expensive. However, I am really tempted by the AT-AT. I think that it is much easier to find a space for this for display! If it goes on discount in various stores, I would be very tempted! Having said that, I can think of so many other sets totally that price that I would love so its difficult to justify spending on one set vs 2-3 sets. 
    If you bricklink the tilted technic stand, I'd expect the footprint of the MF and AT-AT to be about the same.
    gratefulnat
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,496
    Nostalgia/foolishness/black VIP promises etc. "tricked" my feeble FOMO brain into getting the #75192 MF. I thought I needed it, and I'm fairly sure I was wrong as I still haven't built it... there are many contributing factors to that fwiw.
    I can't see myself paying that much again though, I can imagine maybe spending about £350 ish on a set, but it would need to be pretty special.
    That sort of includes retired products... so I voted £500... with very little conviction and a momentary dalliance with the idea of voting £250.

KungFuKennymessybandit778kiki180703andhe
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,557
    my biggest so far is hogwarts castle which was slightly disappointing for the price. 2nd was disney castle which felt good value. I'm considering the titanic, otherwise a lot of the most expensive sets don't interest me enough or just look overpriced, like the AT-AT looks great but looks like a 500€ set maybe. not sure the colosseum looks like a 500€ set as well.
    KungFuKennyFollowsClosely
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,050
      5-10 years ago I could not get enough of the big expensive sets. I had acquired all the Star Wars UCS sets, all the modular Buildings, and most of the large Creator sets. I had everyone of the top 20 largest sets produced in the 2010s.

Now, I find it hard to justify a $200 modular. I have sold off all but one Star Wars set. I have sold most of the large Creator sets as I just don't have room and the money is better leveraged elsewhere.

At this point I have just 3 of the top 20 largest sets, and that is because LEGO keeps outdoing themselves year after year. Can this continue? No. It cannot continue.

SumoLegoBumblepantsKungFuKennyBrickfan50
    Of course it can continue.  Forever!!!!
    andhedrdavewatfordlowleadKungFuKennygratefulnat
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 640
    I don't consider the modular buildings to be large sets at this point.  Lego has produced so many sets with far more pieces.  
    Bobflipandhe
    edited November 18
    Come play with us Danny.  Forever and ever and ever....  - The LEGO Twins
    *looks down in horror at open wallet.  And it's E M P T Y*
    Marshallmariogratefulnat
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,084
    The most I've ever spent is the list price minus AFOL discount on the first UCS Millenium Falcon. Or at least I think I got a discount. Anyway, after that it's the SSD which definitely had a discount. Then it's sub £200 for all the rest.
    What I find striking is that of my top ten most expensive sets, I've only managed to find time to build 3 of them, and space to display only two. Of the next ten, it's pretty much the opposite. So whilst I like these massive sets, I'm not sure I enjoy them as much. Mainly because at the moment they're just pretty boxes!
    Food for thought.
    KungFuKenny560HeliportAstrobricks
    SumoLego said:
    Of course it can continue.  Forever!!!!
    Can, and will.
    My SSD is in bits in a big box after one of the kids pulled a shelf boad out of its clamping brackets. It looks like it crashed into DS2 - will have to get that rebuilt one of thee days.
    Bumblepants
    ...I ended up literally pushing her out of the store exclaiming "this is my happy place. Why would you want to make me feel bad while I'm in my happy place????"...
    Good on ya.  I get that we all have to watch our pennies and be responsible with money, blah blah blah, but it's rare that the wife or gf completely lacks any penchant for collecting - shoes, clothes, C O A C H bags, etc...
    ...oh, and Facebook is evil.
    560HeliportCymbelinegratefulnatFollowsCloselyBumblepantsAddicted2OxygenMarshallmario
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,614
    Arguably, they are already too expensive...

My second worst nightmare happened last night: my wife came into the Lego store with me. She was stunned by how much all the sets cost and was totting up the cost of the ones she knew I had. I was like that meme with the numbers going round that dudes head calculating stuff. I was panicking and like "yeah but 20% off for VIP, plus I always buy them at a 40% discount plus always at least two freebies worth about £50" and then it'll be worth triple RRP in the future anyway etc etc"

I ended up literally pushing her out of the store exclaiming "this is my happy place. Why would you want to make me feel bad while I'm in my happy place????"

And all this comes hot on the heels of her discovering how much the UCS AT-AT costs from bloody Facebook.

Oh... and if anyone's wondering, my worst nightmare is my wife going up into the loft and having a poke around. <<shudders>>
    The pain is felt viscerally! 
  • FireFox31FireFox31 NH, USAMember Posts: 125
    All these high prices for Star Wars UCS sets and they're just a pile of grey.  I'd like to see a $500 - $1000 set that's not mono color (Star Wars, Colosseum) or two dimensional (art sets).  Titanic, that's what I'm talking about.  And what would a minifigure-scale expensive set look like (ie: Diagon Alley)?
    Brickfan50andhegratefulnatlowleadFollowsClosely560Heliport
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,045
    edited November 19
    FireFox31 said:
    All these high prices for Star Wars UCS sets and they're just a pile of grey.
    If they produced more UCS from the PT there’d be far less grey but OT is what sells, particularly at the crazy high prices of the Falcon, SD and AT-AT. An Endor MBS could be quite colourful too as suggested recently.
    andhelowlead560Heliport
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,851
    edited November 19
    If they produced more UCS from the PT there’d be far less grey but OT is what sells, particularly at the crazy high prices of the Falcon, SD and AT-AT. An Endor MBS could be quite colourful too as suggested recently.
    Jabba's sail barge would also hit the sweet spots of being not grey, minifig scale, great for both play and display, massive and deserving of a high price. I.e. not just built to an arbitrarily large size like the Gunship. The Gunship also fails in my eyes because you need characters to make it look complete - but it's the wrong scale. That's one reason why I'm not super excited about a potential Luke's Landspeeder.

Other than being very grey, the points above are why the MilF and AT-AT are the epitome of the perfect UCS sets, IMHO.
    gratefulnatlowleadandhe560HeliportKungFuKennyAddicted2OxygenMr_CrossGothamConstructionCo
    FireFox31 said:
    All these high prices for Star Wars UCS sets and they're just a pile of grey...
    On the outside, sure.  Watch a #75313 speed build video and you would see the AT-ATs internal rainbow!  Makes for a more interesting build, but we get our massive grey vehicle in the end.  Perfection! =oD

560Heliport
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,507
    Jabba's sail barge would also hit the sweet spots of being not grey, minifig scale, great for both play and display, massive and deserving of a high price. I.e. not just built to an arbitrarily large size like the Gunship. The Gunship also fails in my eyes because you need characters to make it look complete - but it's the wrong scale. That's one reason why I'm not super excited about a potential Luke's Landspeeder.

Other than being very grey, the points above are why the MilF and AT-AT are the epitome of the perfect UCS sets, IMHO.

And think of the figs! Bright, colourful, most of the major characters...
    FollowsClosely560HeliportKungFuKennyBrainsluggedMr_Cross
    Someone posted in the comments section on the main page that the AT-AT has been reduced to £699 in the UK. Very happy about that, but can't say I'm super surprised. Does that mean @monkeyhanger is back in?
    KungFuKennyAddicted2Oxygenandhe
    FireFox31 said:
    All these high prices for Star Wars UCS sets and they're just a pile of grey.  I'd like to see a $500 - $1000 set that's not mono color (Star Wars, Colosseum) or two dimensional (art sets).  Titanic, that's what I'm talking about.  And what would a minifigure-scale expensive set look like (ie: Diagon Alley)?
    Buy a few modulars and combine them in a row. Expensive, single display piece and colourful.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,687
    Why are the current MF and ISD both £750, but the MF is $100 higher in the US?
    The MF, SD and AT-AT are £650, £650 and £700 respectively in the UK.

In the US they are $800, $700 and $800, but you need to add tax to those.

So once you take (for example) 10% tax into account, the MF is about the same in both countries, the SD is about $100 more expensive in the UK and AT-AT about $60 more in the UK.

One thing in the UK's favour is that retailers quite often discount these. Even right now, you can get the MF for 15% off and SD at 20% off at one particular store (John Lewis).
    KungFuKenny
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 438
    That’s what I will be waiting for. The nice John Lewis discount. 
    edited November 20
    Nobody actually answered my question, but I’m not sure anyone here can.

Seems like the days of discounts on UCS sets are over in the US. 😡
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,673
    "Because they can."
    Astrobrickslowlead
    "Because they can."
    And three year old Astrobricks asks “Why?”
    560Heliportlowlead
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,673
    "Because they can."
    And three year old Astrobricks asks “Why?”
    😀 "Because." "Why?" "Because." "Why?" "Because!" "Why?!" Third person in the room: "ENOUGH!!!" First two giggle.
    BrainsluggedKungFuKennylowleadgratefulnat

The prices you quoted were wrong (see Brainslugged's post). So there is no question to answer.
    CCC said:

The prices you quoted were wrong (see Brainslugged's post). So there is no question to answer.
    Not that it’s terribly important, but no. I just quoted the prices from the BS database. It just struck me as odd that two sets (MF and ISD) with the same price in the UK have prices in the US that differ by $100.
    monkeyhangerKungFuKenny560Heliport