Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Where to buy shipping boxes USA

Does anyone know a good website/store to buy shipping boxes in the US ?  I'm thinking 25x21x7" size wise.  I need about a dozen so it can't be a bulk order.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,526
    If you have amazon prime, you can order something big but cheap. A dozen times. 

I needed some boxes a couple of months back and did that. Peanut butter was on offer, and so I stocked up on PB and boxes. Obviously not great environmentally but for so few boxes, you'll pay high prices.
    rd1899
  • rd1899rd1899 U.S.A.Member Posts: 210
    edited November 2021
    Is 25x21x7 the inside or outside dimensions?  Because boxes are usually listed by their internal dimensions.
    For a box in that size range, as CCC noted, a "free" shipping box from Amazon or another online company is typically the best option.
    To answer the general question, these are my preferred box sources for online selling:
    Additional sources include:
    • The UPS Store (my local one sells plain boxes)
    • Walmart
    • Office Depot, Staples, and other "big box" office stores
    • Craigslist and similar (for sellers dumping their shipping supplies)
    The Uline website and print catalog are good resources for knowing what box sizes and types are available, as well as baseline prices, though shipping costs need to be factored in.  Uline's site has a search form where you can enter the internal dimensions of the box that you want.
    For the size range (24x20x6 search; 25x21x7 search) you're looking at, Uline has 24x20x6 boxes in bundles of 10 for $3.05 per box and 26x22x10 in bundles of 15 for $4.09 per box, though the shipping fees for those bundles could easily add $1 to $3 dollars per box.
    A good local option for larger boxes is U-Haul.  They will even buy back unused branded U-Haul boxes if you still have the receipt.  Besides their standard moving boxes, U-Haul also sell specialized sizes such as the "Laydown Wardrobe Box" for $5.95, which has listed dimensions of 36-1/4” x 21” x 10-1/2”.
    Another option besides a moving or self-storage company is a retail shipping place such as The UPS Store, especially if one needs an odd size.
    If you live in or near a community without curbside recycling, dumpster diving at drop-off locations might be an option.
    Also, when choosing a box for shipping, it's important to know how the shipping service calculates shipping costs, especially dimensional weight.  The USPS calculator and eBay's shipping calculator (log-in required) are useful for figuring out the best low-cost options.

*From Uline, I mostly buy smaller boxes, such as the 6x4x4 and 9x6x3 sizes, which are good options for items too delicate and/or valuable for bubble mailers.
    **U-Haul also sells biodegradable packing peanuts, which I find much less annoying than standard styrofoam packing peanuts.
    BumblepantsFizyxKungFuKennykiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,197
    I tend to hoard monitor boxes for shipping sets.  I also have an intense aversion to paying more for a box than the cost for shipping said box.
    gmonkey76jmeninnoMarshallmariokiki180703
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 745
    edited November 2021
    @rd1899 that was an amazingly well thought out, thorough and almost generically interesting answer! I have zero need for finding a shipping box in the US and yet I read your answer in its entirety- well done!
    560Heliportgmonkey76FizyxKungFuKennykiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,719
    wbmason is pretty good with prices as well and shipping is usually cheaper than what uline charges (but price compare as some boxes are cheaper-even with shipping- via uline vs wbmason)
    Walmart lately in store has a lot of bubble wrap as well.
    gmonkey76
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 259
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  Very helpful.  I'll check out all the options.