Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Juniorized Parts - Help Wanted!

davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 839
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some assistance for a potential article about Juniorization.  In particular, trying to get a bit of a more diverse assessment of just how Juniorized individual LEGO pieces are. If you'd like to help, go ahead and score some parts!

https://baseplate.com/davee123/rate_junior.cgi

DaveE

Comments

• truck730truck730 Member Posts: 358
    Very time consuming .The more individual small parts to make a bigger part compromise the structure ,fine for static models but kids play rough and falling apart isn't going to be fun unless they love building and not doing anything else with the build
    560Heliport
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,487
    I don't think juniorized is the right word here. Builds can be juniorized, but parts? Surely it depends on how you use them.

Take a 1x16 brick, is that juniorized? In some situations 8 1x2 bricks would suffice, so if you used a 1x16 in their place it might be classed as juniorizing the build. Yet in other situations, that 1x16 brick is essential. Does that make it a juniorized part?

Similarly, wall panels with windows or BURPs. Are they a juniorized part because it is quick to build with them, when you could have used 10+ smaller parts in their place. Yet if you create a 10,000 piece castle and have used them for both speed and lighter weight, are they still juniorized?

560HeliportBumblepantsFizyxrd1899
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 839
    CCC said:
    I don't think juniorized is the right word here. Builds can be juniorized, but parts? Surely it depends on how you use them.
    I definitely agree that the term probably isn't the most appropriate.  I went back-and-forth wondering if maybe I should use "POOP" (Part-Of-Other-Parts), although that didn't quite seem to fit.  Any suggestions for something more fitting?
    CCC said:
    Take a 1x16 brick, is that juniorized? In some situations 8 1x2 bricks would suffice, so if you used a 1x16 in their place it might be classed as juniorizing the build. Yet in other situations, that 1x16 brick is essential. Does that make it a juniorized part?

Yeah, this is where things get really subjective.  If you want to span a long distance, a 1x16 can be totally necessary.  But if you're looking to make a quick wall, and stack 1x16s on top of each other, it could be just a shortcut element towards getting you a wall.

Same thing with BURPs.  The hollow space inside the BURP (for instance) can make them essential to certain designs.  Like the Spyrius base, where the hidden rocket sits inside the BURP mountain.  The BURPs make it more lightweight and give a cavity to house the rocket.

But hey, that's part of this experiment!  If we try and enumerate Juniorization at a part-by-part level, do we get anything useful?  Maybe not, but maybe so!  It's nothing official, just an attempt to see what (if anything) it gains us.

To be honest, after I started making this, I was thinking what you REALLY want is more of a "desirability" score for parts.  IE, "if I buy this set, how many useful vs. non-useful parts am I going to get?"

Anyway, I'm happy to see what comes out of it.  If it's useful, great! If it's not, welp, it was still an interesting exercise (well, to me, at least!)

DaveE

YellowcastleCymbeline560HeliportgratefulnatBrickfan50
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,292
    CCC said:

Similarly, wall panels with windows or BURPs. Are they a juniorized part because it is quick to build with them, when you could have used 10+ smaller parts in their place. Yet if you create a 10,000 piece castle and have used them for both speed and lighter weight, are they still juniorized?

While I think this is partially true (and definitely agree with the examples provided!), I think there ARE parts that are specifically 'juniorized'.  Most of these parts are of the Jacobellis v. Ohio variety, IE, you'll know them when you see them. I think the set #10758 (T. Rex Breakout) provides a couple of good examples of these parts, namely the following two:

and

Both of these pieces are very large, single pieces that could pretty easily be built out of other, also relatively large pieces, in a pretty sturdy way.  But LEGO has decided to make specific pieces for them, and while these pieces and others like them are often reused in other sets, the sets they get reused in are almost exclusively Juniors (or 4+ now I guess) sets, and it's quite obvious that their low usage rate and large size/complexity contribute quite heavily to the high price per piece cost that is a hallmark of these sets.

Anyway, just my 2 cents because I think this is kind of an interesting discussion.  I usually HATE complaints about LEGO 'Juniorizing' sets because they're almost always just petty whinging about something stupid and demonstrably untrue.  Just using bigger pieces like panels or BURPs is NOT 'Juniorizing' imo.  But I also think that LEGO DOES have a specific process FOR 'Juniorizing' a set, and it generally includes swapping out more complex builds with more regular pieces for larger single-shot parts of the kind I've linked above, which I would argue ARE 'Juniorized' parts in and of themselves.
    BumblepantsYellowcastle560HeliportgratefulnatNateMN2020stlux
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,487
    Funny enough, that car body is the first part that comes to mind when I think of juniorized builds. Although I once saw a fantastic MOC where a load of them were used in constructing robot limbs.  
    FizyxYellowcastle