Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Review: 21330 Home Alone

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 271,985
edited October 2021 in Brickset.com articles
Review: 21330 Home Alone

Home Alone has become perennially associated with Christmas, assuring incredible success. The fantastic LEGO Ideas submission, designed by adwind, accordingly reached 10,000 supporters with remarkable speed and notable anticipation has preceded 21330 Home Alone.

The original submission included approximately 3000 pieces, hence I expected its scale would be reduced for production. However, the model now includes 3955 elements and looks absolutely spectacular, displaying extensive detail and potentially appealing beyond Home Alone fans, given the excellence of this substantial house.

Continue reading »

© 2021 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• lowleadlowlead Downeast, USAMember Posts: 648
    I can't stand this goddamn movie...but very nice looking set.  Works well for a 'Christmas in the Suburbs' theme.
    If I had a giant town layout, I would add this to a nice wooded side street or something.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,150
    I answered "maybe" to the "are you getting it" poll.

However, as is often the way, today I find myself going round my children asking what they think of the Home Alone house and whether they think it'd make a great family build this Christmas. I can almost hear the protests of "he's leading the witness, your honour".

Plus now I'm thinking that the £200+ would most logically fall into the "Christmas decorations" cost bucket. So it's not even Lego any more but just part of Christmas. And who am I to deny Christmas?
    KungFuKenny560HeliportAstrobricksAddicted2Oxygen
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,449
    That’s my problem. I don’t know if I can justify over £200 on something I will only really use as a Christmas decoration, when there are things like ‘Large UCS set’ to buy quite soon, which I can hopefully enjoy displaying all year round. I already have the new Santa Sleigh for Xmas this year anyway!
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 2,088
    This set really was wonderfully designed. It seems to me to capture the essence of the movie extremely well.
    I have no plans on getting it. But I can appreciate it's design quite a lot.
    560HeliportCymbeline
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,318
    I have not previously seen the technique of holding the movable walls closed by combining a clip and click hinge part. Is this new? It almost seems like it would be “illegal”.

I’m also wondering when the clear globe part of the gumball machine was introduced.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,150
    I have not previously seen the technique of holding the movable walls closed by combining a clip and click hinge part. Is this new? It almost seems like it would be “illegal”.
    Not a new technique. I remember seeing it on at least #10243 Fairground Mixer from 2014. Other sets since then but I can't think of any specific ones.

Astrobricks
    Not a new technique. I remember seeing it on at least #10243 Fairground Mixer from 2014. Other sets since then but I can't think of any specific ones.

Or even #10244 :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,468
    The clear gumball globe was used years ago in Spongebob sets. 

I've also used the clip hinge technique fine without breaking parts, although that doesn't mean it is a legal technique of course.
    AstrobricksKungFuKenny
    CCC said:
    The clear gumball globe was used years ago in Spongebob sets. 

I've also used the clip hinge technique fine without breaking parts, although that doesn't mean it is a legal technique of course.
    I guess it is now :)
    KungFuKenny
  • sipusssipuss PolandMember Posts: 176
    That technique is also used in #75292 to hold the canopy in place, while allowing for easy removal.
    KungFuKenny560HeliportAstrobricks
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,357
    edited October 2021

I’m also wondering when the clear globe part of the gumball machine was introduced.
    Click hinge 'receiver' elements include two very short bar-width protrusions inside the 'fingers', which are visible in the element image. I believe the technique has been legal since click hinge elements were introduced, but has certainly become increasingly common in recent years.
    KungFuKennyAstrobricks
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 775
    Illegal?  So the Lego Cops gonna come bust somebody?
  • WesterBricksWesterBricks USAMember Posts: 630
    I first encountered it in #60223 Harvester Transport, there are two clips securing the harvester to the trailer when it's packed up.
    Astrobricks
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,450
    Combining a clip and click hinge doesn't seem to have ever been on the list of "illegal" techniques.

For anybody not familiar: "illegal" techniques are those TLG deems put too much stress on the elements, and hence cannot be used by designers in official sets. You are of course free to use these in your own MOC.

Jamie's presentation on this topic is available here. This already dates from 2006, so some things have changed in the meantime due to e.g. part redesigns. Or in the case of transparent pieces, a change to the material. Since a couple of years these are no longer made from polycarbonate, so putting 2 transparent pieces together no longer creates an almost inseparable bond...
    AstrobricksgratefulnatKungFuKenny560HeliportReesesPieces