Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ideas review results

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 1,165,633
edited October 2021 in Brickset.com articles
LEGO Ideas review results

LEGO has just announced the results of the first 2021 Ideas review!

Find out which, if any, of the 57 projects has passed after the break, then let us know what you think in the comments.

Continue reading »

© 2021 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,116

I’m surprised The Office set was selected.  I have never watched an episode and reading from others on the forum and main page I wasn’t aware about the history of this TV show.  This set was one of two The Office sets to make the Ideas review process, and if a The Office set was to be approved than this specific set selected was a no-brainer choice of the two.

Many folks have posted that it’s about time due to the popularity and vast number of The Office sets making it to the review process.  I gather from reading comments that it’s been a quite a few to reach this threshold but has always been Not Approved until now.  I’m curious besides this recent review of having two The Office sets in the running, how many other past The Office sets achieved the 10,000 threshold to be considered in the review process?

This The Office set from this designer has reached the 10,000 threshold three times thus has been considered three times in the review process.  The third time was the charm.  I credit the designer in making improvements from their initial design to the one that was approved.

Many folks argue that The Office set should be produced due to the many times it’s been considered, but with this specific set it’s not a surprise that it reached the 10,000 threshold three times because of the designer’s following.  So, this goes back to my question of how many The Office sets reached the 10,000 threshold.  Is The Office set really that popular because folks want it or because the designer pushed the set many times to reach the review process that Lego figured, “Well, The Office has reached the review process many times…..let’s just make it a set.”

SumoLegoandhe
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 15,197
    My presumption is that they were able to work out favorable licensing terms for NBC sitcoms and NBC/Universal, but Friends is Warner Bros. and Seinfeld is a Columbia/Sony property.  The Office is NBC/Universal.

Perhaps they were able to translate that initial agreement with Warner Bros.  (Big Bang Theory & Friends) into a comparable agreement with Sony and Universal.

Always super-amused by people bemoaning the Ideas product line when their preferred entries are not selected.  Folks, we're lucky LEGO even has a line that is purely based on fan input!
    CymbelineAstrobricksstluxKungFuKennyYellowcastle560Heliportpxchris
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,523
    Yes, I imagine it is down to seeking and getting the license agreement and also the timing. There was that other company that had an Office set. That is now a while ago (just like Character Building and Doctor Who). Long enough that those cheaper sets will not be competing with LEGO. Plus there has been a huge change in LEGO since the original submissions.  LEGO have seen that popular sitcoms make popular sets. They have also started to specifically target adults with their 18+ range. 
    stluxSumoLegoandhe
    ^ Completely agree.  Much to my son's chagrin when considering purchasing those terrible Pokémon sets made by another manufacturer.  He's still optimistic that the Mario series will eventually result in larger Pokémon sets...
    I don't find the Office build itself very interesting or in-line with LEGO's typical design standards.  I definitely would like a minifigure set of the Office, but I'll be surprised if the office itself will be more of a caricature or stylized reinterpretation.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,380
    SumoLego said:
    I don't find the Office build itself very interesting or in-line with LEGO's typical design standards.  I definitely would like a minifigure set of the Office, but I'll be surprised if the office itself will be more of a caricature or stylized reinterpretation.
    You will be surprised, or you won’t be surprised?
    SumoLegoandhe
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    Yes.
    SumoLego560Heliportpxchrisandhe
    edited October 2021
    Yes.
    Simultaneously, collaboratively, with pro-active synergies... in real-time.

(And I won't be surprised.)
    560HeliportYellowcastleAstrobricks
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 242
    Schrödinger’s Office…
    SumoLego560HeliportYellowcastleCymbeline
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,857
    As well as two office sets (wasn't aware it had reached 10k three times) I'm pretty sure that Snow Whites cottage hit 10k previously but with different colours?