Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

First 2021 Ideas review results due tomorrow

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 4,909
edited October 13 in Brickset.com articles
First 2021 Ideas review results due tomorrow

LEGO has just made it known that the results of the first 2021 Ideas review will be published tomorrow, most likely at 2pm BST / 9am EST.

You may recall that a whopping and unprecedented 57 projects amassed 10,000 supporters during the period concerned, so I am sure it has not been an easy task picking one, or more if we're lucky, from the selection.

The Ideas pipeline is quite long already so, at the current rate of 4 or 5 sets a year, whatever's chosen probably won't be released until 2023.

Here's what we are still awaiting:

View all 57 projects after the break and, in time-honoured fashion, let us know your predictions in the comments.

Continue reading »

© 2021 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,491
    Perhaps the violin, Succlents or King Tut Mask? The Bentley and Jazz Quartet would be interesting too.

All the rest feel like unobtainable licenses or retreads of exisiting ideas as nice as they might be.

Bumblepants
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 869
    edited October 13
    I'm prepared to put my heart back on the line and hope for a Zelda set.

Jazz Quartet seems like exactly the sort of set Ideas was invented for though. I really really like it.
    I confidently (and therefore surely incorrectly) predict it'll be that that goes through, and nothing else.
    MynattKungFuKennyCymbelineandheSumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,830
    The violin seems not so different to the IDEAS piano and the current guitar set, so not that exciting.

• pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,526
    I'd love a set based off of The Princess Bride!
    Switchfoot55Bumblepants
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 620
    I doubt more than one will be chosen, and I'd put money on the Jazz set as the one pick, but this round showed that castles are very much appreciated.  I'm hoping the current Creator 3-in-1 set is selling well enough to lead Lego to the decision to offer more similar sets.
    andheCymbelineKungFuKennyBrickchapMarshallmario
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    I am guessing 3+ submissions will move forward here.
    Marshallmario
    I'm going 2.
    andhe
    What do you want?

CASTLES!
    ZELDA!
    ZELDA CASTLES!

What's that you say? A violin??? Here you go!
    andheBrainsluggedBrickchapKungFuKennymsanders
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,975
    I feel like the Astronaut and Jazz group would be the most interesting to come through ideas for a few rounds. But I think that they will probably go for Zelda as they have a much closer link to Nintendo now through Sonic and Mario.
    edited October 14
    Though that also may mean they already have more things in the works with Nintendo so why go the IDEAS route?

Ultimately I think I've found the non-IP sets a lot more interesting. The IP stuff feels a bit too easy to suggest as you're just relying on it having a big enough fanbase rather than the strength of the actual design.
    Brickchap
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 841
    edited October 14
    Announcement is delayed until tomorrow.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/LEGOIdeas/posts/4969069219773903
    BrickchapThe_Rancor
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,975
    andhe said:
    Ultimately I think I've found the non-IP sets a lot more interesting. The IP stuff feels a bit too easy to suggest as you're just relying on it having a big enough fanbase rather than the strength of the actual design.
    I agree with that fully. I wish that ideas would get rid of all IP's altogether. Then have a separate site where people could submit suggestions for sets for existing ip's or new ip's. 
    andheBrickchapmr_bennMarshallmario
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 516
    @Redbullgivesuwind I agree also.

Going on from that, what do people think of a Lego Ideas site just for modular buildings? Each year Lego would release one official modular and one fan design that has achieved 10 000 supporters.

This would remove all the modulars from the current Lego Ideas site (since I know some people complain about that) but still allow fans such as myself to propose potential new sets that are compatible with the modular building collection. It would also allow Ideas to focus more on those really unique ideas like Ship in a Bottle, the Grand Piano, Birds etc.

In short there would be 'Lego Ideas' and then something like 'Modular Collection Ideas' (it would need a better name). Both would work the same way, 10 000 supporters and a review by Lego to see which sets are chosen except that there would only be one winner each round for the modular ideas site.

Some people argue that fans just shouldnt do modulars for Ideas at all, I strongly disagree. I think there are lots of unique and very well designed models out there by fans that would go very well with the official modulars. Apart from my wallet, I for one sure wouldnt mind two modulars a year.

I would also emphasize that while the official modular buildings would continue to be just buildings, the fan based sets could be anything modular related and any size (within reason). One year there could be a 16x32 modular which wins and is made, the next year it could be a 32x32 plus 16x32 add on (like the Modular Construction Site Ideas project). Sets more based around old vehicles could also theoretically be made.
    gibburnz
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,441
    Think it’s a coincidence but just realised the delay put the announcement onto the same day as an Animal Crossing content announcement…….

of the Nintendo projects in this round that’s the one I’d be least interested in but it would be funny if that’s the real reason for the day delay.
    edited October 15
    I'd prefer two lego designed ones than one lego and one fan one. Although one per year is fine. If fans want their designs made by others, then sell or give away the instructions. 

As to separate sites, if there is a separate site for licenses, one for modulars, then why not one for technic designs, one for classic themes, one for art and another for objects, another for this, and another for that. Start splitting and there is the expectation that each site gets at least one set per year or even per round, plus it dilutes the number of people looking and any crossover.
    stlux
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,441
    Shib said:
    Think it’s a coincidence but just realised the delay put the announcement onto the same day as an Animal Crossing content announcement…….

of the Nintendo projects in this round that’s the one I’d be least interested in but it would be funny if that’s the real reason for the day delay.
    Seems I should have waited a couple of minutes before posting!
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,997
    The results are in!

Jazz Quartet made it and it’ll be interesting to see how much TLG change the design - having less pieces invested in the floor might be a god start price wise but the design is really interesting and what Ideas should be all about.

The (American) Office I can totally ignore because I couldn’t care less but I can imagine there may be disputes about the other Office 10k achievers that weren’t selected, considering the actual designs didn’t feel they differed that much and it was just “here’s a bunch of minifigs from another sitcom”.

Snow White is interesting - I quite like the design but not sure if I’d commit to buying something that big for it.
    andhe
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 841
    A cult tv so called 'idea' getting a win - never saw that coming...
    Unless they have good parts, both an easy pass IMO.

I'll be buying the already chosen Sonic set when it comes up though and maybe the lighthouse.
    Brickchap
  • hTristanhTristan AustraliaMember Posts: 11
    Jazz Quartet was one of the best for sure.

Office may have been the actual worst.
    Brickchapbricktuary
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 620
    The Office?  Really?  Well, if they'll make a QE apartment, they'll make anything I guess.
    Brickchap
    I am very happy that the Jazz group got through. to me that seems more what Lego ideas should be about making unusual and different ideas. 

I cannot say I am surprised by the Office getting chosen, just that it has taken so long to be picked. I know it is very popular in America so will probably sell well. It has been on Netflix internationally so must be doing okay on there as well. Still  not as good as the UK one though.
    andhe
    hTristan said:

Didn’t you see the ‘Bike lanes’?
    BumblepantsYellowcastledaewoo
    hTristan said:

Didn’t you see the ‘Bike lanes’?

Or the Hobbit Hole. I'm an LOTR fan, but that was just as plain a box and interior as The Office, just covered in greenery on the outside so they didn't need to do any details.

Yellowcastle
  • hTristanhTristan AustraliaMember Posts: 11
    Bike lanes are obviously atrocious as a single piece, but at least offer something a bit different for a city.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    There are mysteries in life as well as Mysteries.  How a straight line of tiles got 10,000 votes is just...
    Alas poor Middle Earth map, I never got to know you.  You are now going to a Chitty, Chitty place.
    KungFuKennySwitchfoot55SumoLegoMarshallmario
    There are mysteries in life as well as Mysteries.  How a straight line of tiles got 10,000 votes is just...

It does show that there is some demand for including bicycle lanes in City sets. It is sad they need IDEAS to tell them that, but maybe they will notice and do something about it. It would have made an awful IDEAS set, but a great City add on pack.
    YellowcastleKungFuKennyhTristan
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,421
    edited October 15

Nothing new/different about that Bikes Lanes proposal: there's already exactly that in #60306 Shopping Street. I expect TLG to continue using it in future City sets.

I'm using an adapted version of that design in my own city - the pieces are easily available.

BumblepantsKungFuKennyCymbelineandhe560HeliportSumoLego
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 7,005
    stlux said:

Nothing new/different about that Bikes Lanes proposal: there's already exactly that in #60306 Shopping Street. I expect TLG to continue using it in future City sets.

I'm using an adapted version of that design in my own city - the pieces are easily available.

I was about to post the same thing. Also, Lego also advertised the green stripe zone of the gray roadplates as a bike lane back in the 80s. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,350
    I'm glad LEGO saw the Jazz Quartet as a clear selection just like the rest of us did. I'm very excited to see the final model released on that one! 

I'll be anxiously awaiting the Snow White announcement as well. I'd snap that set up in a heart beat!
    KungFuKenny
    I would have loved it if they had added the map and one of the castles which would have pleased so many folks.  I won’t say this on the main site of rabble rousers but I do feel that LEGO could easily have thrown a bone or two to the masses here without much of a lift.
    Marshallmario
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,759
    I won’t say this on the main site of rabble rousers but I do feel that LEGO could easily have thrown a bone or two to the masses here without much of a lift.
    Hey - I can rouse rabble with the best of them!
    YellowcastleKungFuKenny
    I would have loved it if they had added the map and one of the castles which would have pleased so many folks.  I won’t say this on the main site of rabble rousers but I do feel that LEGO could easily have thrown a bone or two to the masses here without much of a lift.

I'd prefer they do their own follow-ups to The Blacksmith, like they have done with FRIENDS. They can do the designs themselves, they don't need IDEAS now to ask for castle type builds.
    stluxBumblepants
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,100
    stlux said:

I’d like to see more pics of that layout sometime!
    Brainslugged560HeliportBumblepants
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,526
    I know it's a trope that's been done now over and over again and honestly I completely understand why people are tired of it (I am myself to an extent) but... I'm actually looking forward to getting a set for The Office. It's a favorite sitcom for both myself and my son.

That said - they should just siphon off all of the TV properties into their own theme and move onto other things in the Ideas line. 
    Switchfoot55560HeliportSumoLegoBumblepantsMarshallmario
    pxchris said:

That said - they should just siphon off all of the TV properties into their own theme and move onto other things in the Ideas line. 
    And at the same time they could also syphon off any realistic space into their own theme, anything Disney into their own theme, anything Modular style into their own theme, anything movie based into their own theme, anything "real object" into their own theme, anything video games related into their own theme, anything castle into their own theme, anything pirates into their own theme, ....

Sitcoms may not be very original, but neither are the modular MOC submissions. A submission based on yet another sitcom show is not that different to a 32x32 footprint IDEA based on yet another style of building.

stluxYellowcastle
    @CCC I strongly disagree. A modular building is merely a starting point, like using oil on canvas. Apart from a 32x32 baseplate (which by the way could be a 16x32 or two 32x32 or 48x48 or 32x32 + 16x32 etc.), there are some Technic pins, a sidewalk and a lamppost. Even the sidewalk and lamppost are often done differently to Lego.

Modulars are just buildings. They can be all kinds of things, many of which Lego hasn't thought of before, like a Jazz Club, train station, chocolate shop, Victorian buildings, sewing shop etc. There's a train station currently on Ideas I believe it's called the Meeting Point or something like that, where the designer has creatively done one have of the build as a regular modular, but then angled the station to 'block off' the street, creating a new street style for the modular line.

On the other hand, numerous random 1980's or current TV shows require very little skill and support. People just support it because they like the show, not because the Ideas project itself is actually any good. The original Friends submission was hardly anything special.
    Furthermore, all these The Office builds are literally just a bunch of walls and then some minifigs. Ideas should be about unique ideas, which can build off a current Lego theme or set, but are nevertheless unique. Just copying some TV show and using the show's popularity to get lots of votes is rather lame to be honest.

Not sure why so many people hate on the modulars. Hence I proposed above a separate Ideas line/series just for fan designed modulars, modular add on packs, maybe even vehicles (old cars).
    SumoLegomaniacmustang69
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,287
    pxchris said:
    WandaVision for LEGO...
    pxchrisMarshallmario
    Brickchap said:
    @CCC I strongly disagree. A modular building is merely a starting point, like using oil on canvas. Apart from a 32x32 baseplate (which by the way could be a 16x32 or two 32x32 or 48x48 or 32x32 + 16x32 etc.), there are some Technic pins, a sidewalk and a lamppost. Even the sidewalk and lamppost are often done differently to Lego.

Modulars are just buildings. They can be all kinds of things, many of which Lego hasn't thought of before, like a Jazz Club, train station, chocolate shop, Victorian buildings, sewing shop etc. There's a train station currently on Ideas I believe it's called the Meeting Point or something like that, where the designer has creatively done one have of the build as a regular modular, but then angled the station to 'block off' the street, creating a new street style for the modular line.

On the other hand, numerous random 1980's or current TV shows require very little skill and support. People just support it because they like the show, not because the Ideas project itself is actually any good. The original Friends submission was hardly anything special.
    Furthermore, all these The Office builds are literally just a bunch of walls and then some minifigs. Ideas should be about unique ideas, which can build off a current Lego theme or set, but are nevertheless unique. Just copying some TV show and using the show's popularity to get lots of votes is rather lame to be honest.
    Sitcom sets can also be done well, matching the source material. Just as LEGO hasn't done every type of building, LEGO hasn't thought of every sitcom. Yet Modulars are an existing range, sitcoms aren't. 

I also disagree with you that IDEAS items should be unique which can be built off a current LEGO theme. The idea of doing a railway station is not unique.  The idea of doing a post office is not unique. They are also copying existing things, and also using the popularity of the Modulars. So why is that also not lame? Especially as LEGO already do a Modular each year outside of the IDEAS system, there is no need for them to be told fans want yet another modular. Whereas they don't do a sitcom set each year outside of IDEAS. There is no sitcom theme. 

stluxBumblepants
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,759
    I know a bunch of people have already mentioned how there have been so many prior The Office sets that haven't made it through the review process. But I havent seen anyone mention that there was a second The Office set in the very same batch of sets reviewed this week. How pissed off must SoGenius106 be? Especially as I'm sure the final product will look nothing like one submitted by Lego the Office anyway.

ReesesPiecesandhe
    I don’t care about the set but I actually prefer SoGenius’ design to Lego The Office. It’s more random and colourful to give it some personality, and the size is more realistic.
    ReesesPieces
    It is curious as to how they picked which version.  The smaller one just feels like a large battlepack and one could argue that Michael’s office and the conference room are key characters themselves.
    SumoLegodaewoo
    edited October 16
    It's worth noting that Lego these days seem to treat Ideas submissions as just inspiration. I imagine the final Office set will look very different. 

Kind of crazy to accept one and not the other though, I agree, and I also think the other one is better. 
    SumoLegoYellowcastle
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 181
    I'm glad LEGO saw the Jazz Quartet as a clear selection just like the rest of us did. I'm very excited to see the final model released on that one! 

I'll be anxiously awaiting the Snow White announcement as well. I'd snap that set up in a heart beat!
    So if you changed the roof from yellow to white wouldn’t you have next years WV set?
    560HeliportKungFuKenny
    edited October 16
    Was it first passed the post or something? People always mentioned that some other brick company had the office licence but I guess that must have expired or something making it up for grabs.
    There's no way it will be that size if Big Bang/Central perk/seinfeld are anything to go by.

I'm surprised we haven't had a Cheers set yet, but perhaps a bar is too much... Frasier is supposedly getting a relaunch soon so perhaps we could get his living room.
    I do find it interesting how Lego specifically stated that due to the high number of The Office submissions they decided to make a The Office set.

Funny, since I recall seeing at least 4 castles in this round alone and I'm pretty sure there were some in prior rounds as well. Five if you count Zelda. There were also 3 or 4 Imperial Fort type submissions along with a few historical themes in general like Western, Vikings and I'd count Steampunk as Victorian.

Hmmm sounds like a pattern to me...Clearly there is a market for Lego castles, one or more Pirates/Imperials themed sets and historical themes in general. So I'm hoping Lego will take the same logic as it did with The Office and give us more historical themed sets!

Oh and for those of you who would whinge that kids don't like historical sets or whatever, I doubt there are many kids (particularly in Lego's target range of roughly under 10 years old) that really want a The Office set or even watch the show. The Office set is intended for adults, yet we have huge fanbases for historical themes as well as trains and nothing much for them? We did get POBB and the Crocodile but I think Lego can keep going.

It doesnt have to be within the Ideas line but a Medieval Market Village and Castle type set would be a very fun and popular and we definitely need some sort of Imperial representation to fight Redbeard and his crew, whether that be a naval ship or a fortress.
    A standalone Viking Village set would have been a very cool and unique idea but nope. We get yet another Yank sitcom.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,561
    The Office submission that got approved is obviously better than the one that didn’t, even if the eventual set isn’t as large.
    daewoo
    andhe said:
    Was it first passed the post or something? People always mentioned that some other brick company had the office licence but I guess that must have expired or something making it up for grabs.
    There's no way it will be that size if Big Bang/Central perk/seinfeld are anything to go by.

I'm surprised we haven't had a Cheers set yet, but perhaps a bar is too much... Frasier is supposedly getting a relaunch soon so perhaps we could get his living room.

I think it is as simple as that guy submitted The Office to IDEAS three times. And three times he got it to 10K, including when getting to 10K was still reasonably rare.

The other guy might be annoyed he got to 10K and did not get approved, but it would be far worse the other way around.

560HeliportBrainsluggedandheBrickchap
    ^Shouldn't there be a limit on how many times one can resubmit the same project? Did he even change anything from his first to second, second to third submission?
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,561
    Yes