Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10294 Titanic discussion/thoughts

Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 351
The release of #10294 Titanic came as a complete surprise to me. In overall build size it's the largest LEGO set released so far. I've read reviews about this set here on Brickset, the Brothers Brick and I've seen Jang's early comments.
No doubt that I would like to purchase and build this iconic set.
But €630 is a hefty price for a hobby toy. I think I can afford it when I sell some Bitcoin I've invested in, but still: it's a large amount of money!
Being able to purchase this is one thing, but having this set displayed in your home requires another challenge: how to prevent dust? I've searched for custom made acrylic displays and found that you will need at least €300 for a display box that fits the set.
What are your thoughts about this?
KungFuKenny

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,561
    Tarp. ;-)
    560HeliportlowleadMarshallmario
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 216
    ...challenge: how to prevent dust?...
    An eternal battle rather than a prevention.  I attack with a handheld vacuum and a dry paintbrush about twice a year - sometimes more if I get sick of looking at it.  

• PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,104
    Dust - use a ladies' blusher brush every month or so. Much softer than a paintbrush and will certainly get most of it off.

Also far cheaper than a $300 case!
    KungFuKennylowleaddaewoo
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,100
    edited October 9
    I’ve been looking at building my own acrylic display cases for a while now, and this may push me into action.  The plastic for a case this size could run approximately $100, but building the assembly jigs and making precise cuts would require some new tool purchases as well… if I was able to get the hang of it then my UCS Falcon could have a dust free home as well…
    SumoLegoBrickfan50lowleadpxchrisMarshallmario
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 869
    edited October 10
    Too big.

It will serve its purpose for TLG in marketing, it's getting a lot of attention. And good luck to those who buy it and love it and can display it.

But really really not for me, so thankfully I won't have to worry about dust. 
    Bumblepantsiwybs
  • Brickfan50Brickfan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 351
    I’m using a ladies’ blusher for years now and it works very well. Next to swiffer dusters for larger areas. 
    A display case is just nice though.
    daewoo
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 869
    Surely anyone with the money and space for this will get simply instruct their butler to keep it dust free.
    560HeliportBumblepantsYellowcastleCharmiefcbpxchrisiwybs
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 216
    ^^ Oh, snap!  That reminds me, it's nearly time for my mid-morning peeled grapes.
    *rings bell*
    560HeliportBumblepantsAstrobricksBrainsluggedbricktuaryiwybs
    I haven’t seen evacuated bell jar listed yet :)
    560Heliport
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,104
    Good idea, I'll mention it to the cleaner ;)
    Astrobricks
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 379
    I like it but the price, the size and the cost of my divorce when the wife sees it are all too much for me!

Joking aside, I've also read some reviews of it, showing stages of the build and it seems a "messy" build to me, only coming together when the outside is added, so even with money and no wife, I'd probably not enjoy the build.

BumblepantsCharmiefcb
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 417
    SumoLego said:
    I'm going to keep mine in a bathtub.  Underwater.  Because I am not subtle.
    That is definitely the best anti-dust option. 
    SumoLego
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 397
    I like it. I'll probably get it but a fear is if I buy it I'll have to buy two to make some adjustments to the second one to make her sister the Olympic.
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,406
    I'd love this - it looks fantastic - but I struggled to display the UCS Falcon.  We simply don't have anywhere in the house to put a set this size.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,487
    I absolutely love it and would definitely buy it, except for the price. I can justify it to myself, but not SWMBO... I've even got a medicine chest in the sitting room that it would look great on.
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 620
    It's an impressive model, to be sure, but not my cup of tea.  As an aside, I also use the makeup brush to remove dust from Lego.  Works really well.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    It’s nice but just way out of my price range.  As noted before, i believe this would have been a license worth pursuing both to add some flavor as well as to boost sales.
    edited October 11
    It’s nice but just way out of my price range.  As noted before, i believe this would have been a license worth pursuing both to add some flavor as well as to boost sales.
    And price :-/
    SumoLego
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 429
    @Charmiefcb Don't forget her sister ship Britannic - so you'll be buying 3 😱
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,287
    No 1912 Renault in the cargo area?  Blasphemy!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    And price :-/
    Lol, well sure, maybe.  But I’d argue that after a certain point, we’ve already passed a level of absurdity.  Throw in Jack, Rose, a 🚪, and some violinists and a cost bump from absurd to a little more absurd won’t keep my heart from going on.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,287
    I find the $629.99 price bizarre as well.  Why not just go to $649.99?  Or $599.99?
    Yellowcastle