Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dutch Abondantus Gigantus "Church" Lego set?

munozrickmunozrick Member Posts: 0
edited February 2012 in Collecting
In 2010 the architecture group LOOS.FM in the Netherlands (Holland) built a church using large reusable LEGO-inspired blocks. This church, named Abondantus Gigantus, was built in the town of Enschede. This church was written up at Inhabitat.com, Gizmodo, and there's even a YouTube video of its construction.

A few weeks ago on the Architect's blog, they showed a photo of box of a LEGO brand model of the church (see below). Unfortunately, the photo doesn't seem to be on the blog page anymore. It shows a number of 7500, but I can't find any existence of that model number. My suspicion is that this is not a real model, but simply a mock-up of a fake LEGO model box. However, I can't confirm that.

Did LEGO actually offer a LEGO model of the church? There are versions built in LEGO blocks, as seen in this picture and this one. Has anyone out there (especially in the Netherlands) run into this LEGO brand model? If it really does exist, I wonder if and where it might still be sold.

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    edited February 2012
    I actually have no idea weather or not this model exists or not, but take a look at the top of the box. The image on the top looks nothing like the church, it looks more like a train or a vehicle. So it is very likely that this is just an edited image. Plus, why would this model of a church have power functions?

EDIT: Upon further "investigation", the box used for this photograph is the 7939 Cargo Train. If you look closely, you will see train driver and a yellow train car that matches with the picture of the church. Heck, even the sides of the boxes match up too. So in conclusion, this is a fake and edited.
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    It appears to be designed by the same person who did the latest DC/Marvel sets!

*ROFL* Aside from "yuck", the only other word that comes to mind is "fake". You really didn't look that hard at the picture did you?