Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Corner Garage - JL Won't post to Northern Ireland

I just spotted John Lewis had corner garage in stock, thought to myself happy days, I'll pick one up, as I have a JL gift card.
Proceed to checkout, and get a message saying that it can't be delivered to Northern Ireland.
Very strange, I have ordered Lego from JL before with no issues, I then added police station to basket to check, and that can be delivered!

I mess around a bit, and add sets to the basket, Old Trafford and Assembly square can't be delivered, but Ecto1/Vadar Helmet and Mos Eisley all can be.

Any one any idea why they won't post the Corner Garage(or other certain sets) specifically to Northern Ireland, but other sets don't seem to be an issue.  

Seems weird to me, surely they are all coming from the one warehouse?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,484
    It might be box size issues, if only certain size items can go over the water with their courier.
  • jason_nijason_ni UKMember Posts: 32
    CCC said:
    It might be box size issues, if only certain size items can go over the water with their courier.

Interesting theory, so I had a look, and Mos Eisley has bigger piece count, is a kilo heavier, and the box seems to be a bit bigger than Corner Garage based on the spec section, and that one I can receive.  Similar with police station, it appears to be bigger than C Garage, and they will post me that set.

I suppose that could still be the reason, but there are some anomalies with sets close to the limit.

I had been wondering is it something to do with sets that are close to retiring, but even then, why would you be able to get those posted to rest of UK and not NI, when they normally can post all to NI!?
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,568
    Just a suggestion, but have you emailed their Customer Support? They may be able to at least give you an answer or, better, get round the problem somehow.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,484
    Some couriers charge more to deliver to NI (and IoW, Highlands, etc) than the rest of the UK or do not deliver at all. But if they deliver heavier and larger sets it suggests that the size and weights are not an issue, it is not likely to the that.

Maybe it is a border issue, and they deliver the other items from an Irish warehouse instead of UK?

Or maybe just random flags not switched properly when someone was stock listing.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,349
    Could just be something as simple as to location of a major delivery Hub and your post code.

Argos does the same thing if I go between home and work as a delivery address .
    Some will deliver to one but not the other or vice versa despite being only 10 miles apart.
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 956
    Seems obvious to me. Corner Garage contains both a dog and a frog, and they are concerned about transporting animals over to NI.

So what about the Dewback you ask? Clearly exploiting a loophole in the NI Protocol, nobody remembered to allow for alien livestock.
    560Heliportjason_niFizyxKungFuKenny
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 743
    edited October 2021
    Seems obvious to me. Corner Garage contains both a dog and a frog, and they are concerned about transporting animals over to NI.

So what about the Dewback you ask? Clearly exploiting a loophole in the NI Protocol, nobody remembered to allow for alien livestock.
    this is just a ridiculous suggestion, it is clearly related to the fuel crisis. Moving not just  fuel but relocating an entire garage and fuel pumps from mainland UK over to Northern Ireland during this time would be silly.
    bricktuaryFizyxKungFuKennyeMJeeNL
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 645
    edited October 2021
    it may be as simple as JL have more than one warehouse/location/store and limited stock due to products retiring and can only ship to NI from one/fewer warehouse so it has to have the stock. 
    DeMontes said:

this is just a ridiculous suggestion, it is clearly related to the fuel crisis. Moving not just  fuel but relocating an entire garage and fuel pumps from mainland UK over to Northern Ireland during this time would be silly.
     Haha - both very good suggestions!  Could well be either on these issues :)
    I had a chat with support online just to check, he gave standard response about delivering to "remote" areas, the whole of NI is not really that remote, but ok.  I pointed out I can get other random sets delivered, and he just told me to contact cust service on the phone.
    Phone call later, and they are able to post the set, no delivery fee.  They couldn't really explain it.  I suppose I shouldn't make too much noise, without risking them just putting a blanket ban on delivering here post brexit, which a lot of companies have already done!
    JudgeChuckAstrobricksShropshirebricktuaryjason1976eMJeeNLpanchox1Marshallmario