Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

10196 Grand Carousel potential

SiESiE Member Posts: 237
edited February 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
What are peoples thoughts on future prices of this set? I have noticed a few go for £525+ on ebay recently. I am not sure if it will increase more or whether the price has reached its limit. It is a great and unique set.

Comments

• EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    Because it's so unique like you say, it'll probably go on the up and up. Look at the Ferris Wheel prices.
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    There's one thing that puzzles me about this set. The Jester head which adorns the Carousel, obviously a decorative piece - why is it yellow? It looks as if some-one lopped a poor Jester minifig's head off and stuck it above the Carousel. Shouldn't they make those heads grey, as if they're stone?
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    As long as the secondary market holds stable, it should only go up.

If its MISB, then gamble by waiting for a big fish buyer to come along. I doubt there are that many new sets left in reseller hands.
  • evileddie1313evileddie1313 Member Posts: 126
    Nice set. Overlooked by some. Still relatively new(2009). I'm sure there is still some ways to go on the upside.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    Another set I would love but never will have lol :)
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    ^^^^^ I see your point, but I think that grey would look odd amongst all that tan and white.
  • SiESiE Member Posts: 237
    I was really fortunate to buy 2 at £199. I have nearly opened one a few times but the value sealed has really put me off. It keeps going up and part of me is saying sell but the other is sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    A great long-term investment. As someone who likes to rebuild sets from my own inventory - this set is absolutely impossible to re-create using Bricklink. At least right now. The 8 cloth drapes are not available in enough quantity to complete even one.

If Bricklink can't even help you finish a set - that will only add to the aftermarket price.

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    The 8 cloth drapes are not available in enough quantity to complete even one.
    Thank goodness I obtained a spare set of drapes whilst they were still available! :o)

I'm in the same boat as @SiE. I bought MISB with every intention of building. It's becoming more and more difficult by the day to crack it open! :o(
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    edited February 2012
    I would LOVE this set, but not for the same reasons as anyone else!
    Little personal story for anyone interested in listening:
    When I was about 10-11, my brother (who was about 12) and I had wanted an AT-AT toy, it was like the crown jewels as far as we were concerned and we decided to save up our pocket money and sweet money for it.
    We had been saving for months and had near enough the money needed when our mum was taken ill.
    We had gone out to buy the AT-AT, but ended up spending all our money and coming back with a china musical Carousel for my mum, she always had a thing for horses, and as she couldn't get out of the house it was our way of showing her how much she meant to us.
    Unfortunately my mum and my brother are no longer with us (both leaving huge gaping holes in my life) and the china Carousel got irreparably damaged.

So one day I hope to get hold of 10196 so that it can sit on my display shelves the way my mums Carousel sat on hers, to remind me of better/simpler times when I had so much but didn't realise it.

Oh and sorry for the off topic, just felt like sharing..
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    @pricedraven - That is a sweet story, thank you for sharing...

My condolences for your loss...
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    Thanks LFT, funny how these little plastic bricks can be so much more than just plastic bricks.
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 229
    @princedraven - thanks for sharing. I hope someday you find that set and pay tribute to your mum and brother.