Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Introduction and some questions

OldlegomanOldlegoman PlymouthMember Posts: 2
Hi everyone, great to see Lego is still alive and well.  I got my first Lego Technic set when I was 9 (I'm 40 now).  I have just bought 5 sets over the last few months and loved building them.  However, I have no space to keep the finished sets and to be honest they don't go with the look of my house anyway.

So I think I'm going to sell them and then buy>build>sell if I ever want to do another one again.

My question is really, do the sets increase in value much or should I just sell them now?  I could keep them in the loft safely but don't want to if the boxes are going to go mouldy etc.

I have 42123 (McLaren Senna), 42121 (Heavy Duty Excavator), 42118 (Monster Jam Grave Digger), 42107 (Ducati Panigale V4R) and 42093 (Chevvy Corvette ZR1).

I just realised that some of the above are 2-in-1 so I might do the alternative builds before selling.  I'm loving the app with alternate instructions on the phone, very easy to follow.

Thank you

Comments

• OldlegomanOldlegoman PlymouthMember Posts: 2
    ok thanks
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 216
    Hey there OLM, welcome!
    Plymouth in the UK, or New England?
    If I'm not misinterpreting your second post, I would guess that you were expecting a quicker response when that didn't occur.  That happens, and it's easy to take it personally sometimes, but don't.  Just keep posting.  I will say that your first 'splash' in the forums involves a very obtuse concept - offloading LEGO sets shortly after building them.  We're generally compulsive hoarders here, and would sooner sell off our first born than part with LEGO so hastily...sprinkled in with a little denial...but GREAT taste in music.  Have fun...it's kinda weird in here, which is why I feel right at home!  
    560Heliportbandit778
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,619
    Hey, there's a Plymouth in Minnesota, too! Welcome! You definitely should build all the alternate models. ...You say your sets don't go with the look of your house. Obviously you need to redecorate to match your LEGO sets! :)
    lowleadAstrobricks
    Pfffft, ya, or like...just get a new house =oD

Hey, there's a Plymouth in Minnesota, too!
    ...but does the MN Plymouth have a fancy rock with 1620 inscribed on it, enshrined in a Greek Revival monument covered in seagull poop and trash?  Didn't THINK so! ;)
    560HeliportAstrobricks
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 318
    Welcome ,storage -bin of or display ,won't suit anywhere other than a toyroom or shop window. These aren't big sets and reflect a car/bike racing sports fan ,buying and reselling these won't make you millions  , maybe you should explore the rent a set service if it's still alive . Otherwise get with the hoarding programme! At 40 you're name isn't reflective.
    lowlead
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 271
    lowlead said:
    a very obtuse concept - offloading LEGO sets shortly after building them.  We're generally compulsive hoarders here, and would sooner sell off our first born than part with LEGO so hastily...sprinkled in with a little denial...
    I have tried a couple of times to sell off sets I didn't like (after building and then deconstructing) but I can't even do that much less ones I like! I have very little display space but some how make more ... sort of oh I don't need that any more right where is an excellent spot to put something!
    lowlead
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,997
    ok thanks
    I just saw your thread for the first time so welcome! Sorry I didn’t notice it earlier.

Glad you’re getting into Lego again and I know all too well the issues of space. If you enjoy the building aspect enough then I don’t see anything wrong with buying sets to build and then selling them on, so they only cost you a nominal amount overall. It’s difficult to know exactly which sets will rise in value but it usually takes longer than you’d want I suspect.

If you’re in Plymouth UK, Iived there for a few years and it was a great place - particularly for going out but also with the countryside nearby.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,831
    I you are going to buy, build, sell, then maybe look at buying used sets. You can often sell a used set for what you paid for it so it only really costs postage and any fees where you sell it.
    The_Rancorlowlead
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,047
    Last active - October 1st. I'll be amazed if 1. he notices these messages (he could have email notifications turned on, I suppose), or 2. comes back to look.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,619
    MaffyD said:
    Last active - October 1st. I'll be amazed if 1. he notices these messages (he could have email notifications turned on, I suppose), or 2. comes back to look.
    He's a new AFOL- hasn't yet ramped up to "checking Brickset Forum every twenty minutes to see if there's a new post" 😄
    CymbelineMextenThe_RancorMaffyDlowleadBumblepants
    edited October 6
    ^^ Well, he returned two days later to post a second time with a two word message that suggests he was anticipating a reply...I'm guessing he'll return soon to find that his post was turned into a mini chat lounge of other members.

Would anyone care for a drink? =oD
    560HeliportAstrobricks
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,232
    ok thanks
    560Heliportlowleadpxchris
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 183
    I don’t follow the price changes of technic used sets, so I can’t help. But hello and welcome.