Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[US] Closing K-Mart Store Deals

DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
edited February 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
Is anyone else keeping an eye on these stores? I went to one tonight, and all toys are 20% off the lowest ticketed price. I picked up the new X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Geonosian Canon. True, not a stellar deal as far as percent off goes, but for these new sets, it beats the current TRU sale as well as the upcoming double points promotion.

Hope this helps someone.

Comments

• gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^ In what area are the stores closing?
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
    Here's another source:
    http://retailtrafficmag.com/news/retail_kmart_store_closings/

Not all are listed though, as the one I went to was not on either list.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,260
    Of course none in IL (apparently)

• intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    Honestly, I wouldn't expect too much. They'll probably just move inventory to other stores.
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    I'm having doubts about whether there will even be a K-mart at the end of this year (or next year in a best-case scenario).

I live in the metro Atlanta area and there is only 1 store that I know of that is not slated for closure (with 5-7 of them slated for closure or closed in the last couple of months). Target just moved into the area where this lone Kmart is a year ago and has already started impacting it...it really was only doing well because there was no other competition around it. When presented with an alternate choice, most folks would shop "anywhere but Kmart".

I saw a special on CNBC about Best Buy..at their company headquarters they had a display set up as the "sick company wing" of a hospital. This was a warning to Best Buy employees of what can happen to seemingly invinceable retailers who don't adapt. There was a hospital bed there for Kmart (and tombstones for Blockbuster if I recall).
  • KernelPanicKernelPanic Member Posts: 12
    ^I assume you are talking about the one in Canton. At least they have CMF series 6 in stock.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
    I expect stock may be moved to other stores, and since there are 2 others stores in the area NOT closing, I'm surprised the 2012 sets (among other general merchandise) is not being transferred. In addition to the Star Wars sets, I also saw today at a different store that's closing in my area: heavy duty helicopter, fire plane, the 2 new city trucks, Batman two-face set, and the smaller (<$50) green Ninjago sets.

I expect at 30%, anything left will vanish quickly, if it doesn't get transferred before that.
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2012
    @KernelPanic I actually meant Peachtree City..didn't know Canton store was still around! I just looked and saw Hiram and Mableton still have one as well...I guess all is not lost.

I just took a look at Sears/Kmart's earnings this year/quarter...ouch!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/23/sears-earnings-4q-2011_n_1296451.html

I found this comment interesting at the end:
    "Sears is that store at the end of mall you walk through to get to your car."
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    It's kind of sad. Sears was a very respectable and prominent part of the States for a long, long time.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 682
    I'm in a area in Iowa of about 175,000 metro population and has 2 Targets, 2 Walmarts and 1 KMart dead set in the middle of the area. It's not the list of closings but they haven't gotten any new Legos or toys for that matter, since the X-Mas clearing. Once city Police and some POC set along the isle.
    The KMart here had 20% off clearance toys this week, usually they goto 50% the next week...at least in Iowa they have.