Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Good price for an opened Taj Mahal?

burnsideburnside Member Posts: 45
edited February 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
There's a seller locally who is willing to part with his Taj Mahal. It has all the pieces, only built once, has the instructions, but no box. What do you guys think is a good price for this set? Also, do you think the value of this set will continue to rise any more?

Comments

• gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Did you need someone to look it up on Ebay?
  • burnsideburnside Member Posts: 45
    ^ lol. I know the prices on ebay, but I can get a set cheaper than ebay every day of the week. That's why I'm asking what is a good price that you'd buy it for? All pieces, instructions, no box, built once.
  • evileddie1313evileddie1313 Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2012

Taj Mahal New/Used Price

No box is a big negative, but there is a current EBAY listing going for $500+ without a box right now.

Ebay Taj Mahal Listing

It is the largest Lego set produced and is very impressive and I look for it to continue its appreciation.
    Would you pick it up for $450 if it was available?
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    The one starting at $650 is more interesting, it has the box and the details in the listing are more favorable to me. But that is just me.

If the $650 was buy it now with shipping included, I'd think about that one pretty seriously... The $830 shipped they are asking is too much for it however...
    At $450, yes, if it appeared to be clean and sorted.

I do not buy used Lego often, and when I do, I want it to look like someone owned it who is more anal retentive than I am. :) If the parts are well sorted, if the manuals are in mint condition, I'm interested. Otherwise, forget it. :)
  • evileddie1313evileddie1313 Member Posts: 126
    I agree with LegoFanTexas...$450 would be a fair price for a clean set without the box. These prices are very fluid, even over a small time frame. If there are no other options and only one listing, prices could raise dramatically and visa versa. If there are multiple options to buy, prices usually drop, but when dealing with these large sets, all logic goes out the window.
  • DaddyWhaleDaddyWhale Member Posts: 130
    Would you pick it up for $450 if it was available?
    $450 seems like a pretty good price. It compares very well with actual prices paid at bricklink over the last 6 months (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=10189-1--&colorID=0&v=D&viewExclude=N&cID=Y)
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    You could also offer lower. If $450 is what you want to spend, why not start lower and work your way up to the price if the guy declines? No harm in attempting negotiations, you may just get it cheaper.
    ^ Actually, that's what I worked him down to. Won't go any lower. May have to pull the trigger.
    If you don't buy it, I'd be interested in it, would pay you a finders fee in Lego. :)
  • cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    450 is great...I bought a used one almost exactly a year ago for $400...just sold it for $700 this week and there was a ton of bidding action.

One interesting thing that I did not anticipate back when I bought it was that there is tons of interest in this set from folks of Indian descent, almost all of the questions from buyers I got fell into that demographic...that niche part of the market will keep driving it higher for a while.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Wow, I cant believe how much this has gone up! I bought an opened one a year ago for RRP!
    Wow, I cant believe how much this has gone up! I bought an opened one a year ago for RRP!
    Why are you surprised? After watching Eiffel Tower and the other big sets, why wouldn't it?

First, go grab 100 random people... It's ok, I'll wait...

Now, ask them all if they have ever heard of the Taj Mahal...

Ok, done? What, was the number 100 out of 100 said yes? :)

There is your answer... ;P
    edit: as a side note, you can buy this set for $1,000 new in box from Bricklink, but that won't last... I fully expect this set to hit $2,000 by Christmas.
  • jaypwilliejaypwillie Member Posts: 3
    Just saw a new listing on CraigsList for one of these and the description says new in box for $750.
    @LegoFanTexas I'm picking up the set tomorrow for $440. I'll let you know how it looks. Too good to pass up on.