Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Selling instructions on Rebrickable for your own Lego Ideas submission

LummoxJRLummoxJR Syracuse, NYMember Posts: 9
I've been trying to find any information I can about this: Is it frowned upon or even against the rules to put your own Lego Ideas project on Rebrickable and sell instructions? No one has answered my previous questions in other forums and as far as I can tell there's no rule on Lego Ideas against it, but I want to be certain.

Comments

• Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,558
    From an article on StoneWars:

"It is important to know: By submitting a project on IDEAS you additionally agree to a commercialization prohibition, i.e. you may not redeem money with the submitted idea. Neither set sales nor the sale of a building instruction is allowed. LEGO reserves the right to delete your contribution without notice and in extreme cases to take legal action against you. The prohibition of commercialization applies as long as the rights of use remain with LEGO. This reads quite harmless at first, but it has a big catch, because the rights of use are only transferred back three years after your design was rejected in the review, got the status “Expired” due to time lapse or was deleted by you. From this it also follows that you are not allowed to earn any income three years after your submission has been “released” again by Ideas, because you still do not have the rights of use. WARNING – If you participate in an Ideas contest, you agree to the unlimited transfer of the rights of use. While the rights of use are transferred to LEGO, you must still take care of any copyright infringement, as you still own the copyrights. LEGO is unlikely to assist you in the fight against possible infringement, even if you request or ask for assistance."

The article is from January 2021 but I imagine it hasn't changed since then.

https://www.stonewars.net/things-to-know/lego-ideas-rules-and-guidelines-explained/
    YellowcastleAstrobricksiwybsFizyx
  • LummoxJRLummoxJR Syracuse, NYMember Posts: 9
    Ah, thank you so much.

This does not seem to prohibit distributing the instructions for free however, which is good to know.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 611
    I wonder why it's three years? That seems very excessive for intellectual property that TLC have decided not to use.
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 549
    My guess is because TLG reserves the right to change its mind when it sees fit and figures that if it hasn't within three years, then it probably won't.
    Astrobricks
  • veyniacveyniac Northwest MinnesotaMember Posts: 268
    I put the instructions for most of my Lego Ideas contest entries for free on rebrickable. No one has had a problem with it so far.
    AstrobricksYellowcastle
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,346
    daewoo said:
    My guess is because TLG reserves the right to change its mind when it sees fit and figures that if it hasn't within three years, then it probably won't.
    Like with the Bricklink Designer Program.
    daewooSwitchfoot55andhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,432
    edited July 20
    Bobflip said:
    I wonder why it's three years? That seems very excessive for intellectual property that TLC have decided not to use.
    It might also be so other companies can't profit off the publicity that a 'rejected' 10k idea has had.

Don't know what the final outcome was but there was an issue with the designer who created the old fishing store partnering with bluebrixx (?) to sell kits for his other 'rejected' 10k ideas. 
    Marshallmario
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 767
    I think it's exactly that, they don't want the "compatible brands" to benefit from the whole process, whatever stage it's rejected at.

Mind you, they just seem to steal the designs anyway.
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 549
    andhe said:

Don't know what the final outcome was but there was an issue with the designer who created the old fishing store partnering with bluebrixx (?) to sell kits for his other 'rejected' 10k ideas. 
    Yeah, his three follow on sets were going to be included in the BL Designer program but were removed for that very reason.  It's a shame because I like all three of them.
    canon03Marshallmario