Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Legoland California

kufkuf Member Posts: 66
edited March 2012 in Community and Events
So, when people find out I like LEGOs, they ask if I have been to LEGOLand. I haven't been, but I live about a 3 hour drive away. If I go to San Diego, should I check it out? Is it just a kid land? Is there anything interesting to see or do if you don't have any little ones?

Comments

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,143
    My family has an annual membership to the park and we enjoy spending a half day there every other Saturday. The rides in the park are targetted for kids 3-12. My 3 yo is unable to meet the height requirements for half the rides (I.e. roller coasters), but he likes the smaller rides.

For adults, miniland is very neat. You could spend a couple hours staring and taking pictures of the Lego models of cities. There is the major California cities, New Orleans (currently closed due to renovations), New York, Washington, and Las Vegas. Star Wars is very nice.

I personally like to shop at Legoland since members get 10% off. Of course I use that on hard to find items. They always are well stocked in collectibles minifigs.

I would probably go during Legoland Star Wars weekend (March 31-April 1) to maximize on promotions.

If you are hungry around Carlsbad, might I suggest a little meat market called Tip Top Meats. They serve a huge breakfast and a cheap prime rib dinner with all the fixens.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Excellent news on the Star Wars days happening Mar 31 - April 1, as that's when my family will be there. Do you recall when they give out the swag for the event? Is it both days? Plenty to be given out? Or do I need to be there at opening time on Mar 31?

We used to live in San Diego and had the annual pass as well. But this was before I even considered collecting. I recall only getting the Duplo brick during the Star Wars days, but in recent years I thought they had giveaways like the Shadow ARF trooper.
    This is my first year with a membership so I have no experience with the Star Wars event. Although looking at the event website it says that during Jedi Trivial they will handing out Darth Maul minifigs for answering trivia.... that wouldn't be the same minifig given out during the NY Toy fair....
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,287
    IMO Legoland is a great place for any fan of Lego. The rides though are mostly for kids ages 10 and under. Although the Dragon ride and a spinny ride in the medievil side was fun for me and my 2 older kids.
  • kufkuf Member Posts: 66
    I heard something about bricks by the pound for PaB. Is it a good deal?
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    ^ How much is each pound?
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
    At Legoland FL, it was 8.99 per quarter pound.

I recently filled one of the holiday promo boxes with 14.8 oz, to help give a little context. If your buying larger bricks, by oz may be better. High volume of tiny pieces, buy by volume.
    Do they still do the tent sales there? I remember them clearancing items in a tent just outside the front gates, and also had some sort of crazy PaB-like deal, which essentially seemed like the contents of a ton of grab bags (e.g., not typical PaB wall contents) that you could fill a bag up with. One flat fee ($10?) for whatever you could fit into the bag. This was about 9-10 years ago.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    @kuf All my opinion of course . . .

Have little kids? Yes, check it out. There are always promos for the park to take advantage of. Buy one adult get one kid in free. Buy one season pass get a "one day admission free". Supermarkets, Lego Stores, Ebay. Lots of promos out there . . .

Its definitely geared towards little kids, food is better than disneyland, they have an awesome playground, water park during warm months, lots lego playing areas.

Just going by yourself? I would just suggest getting a "one hour shopping pass". You will have to pay for parking but it can be reimbursed if you spend something like $20 at one of the gift shops. Imo, its not worth paying admission as an adult otherwise. You can walk the park for an hour and be good. Plenty of pics on the internet of all the displays as well. And like mentioned before, their Lego stores are very well stocked.

Seemed to me their PAB stuff was more expensive than Lego Stores. VIP points do not count as the park is not owned by Lego.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 608
    Do they still do the tent sales there? I remember them clearancing items in a tent just outside the front gates, and also had some sort of crazy PaB-like deal, which essentially seemed like the contents of a ton of grab bags (e.g., not typical PaB wall contents) that you could fill a bag up with. One flat fee ($10?) for whatever you could fit into the bag. This was about 9-10 years ago.
    Sadly they have not had the tent sales in years. While LegoLand is generally well stocked on product, and is usually "first in line" for new releases, they really don't have any exclusives available only there. I think this is probably because TLG sold the parks to Merlin. Merlin is now one of the large customers of TLG (like Target, WalMart, etc.), but that means they only get what they order, and they only order "normal" products from TLG. So I doubt TLG will ever use them to liquidate inventory (such as the tent sale) again. From what I understand, in the US they drag returned/overstocked product to conventions and unload it there.

In terms of PaB, they now order from the same supply that the stores can choose from to fill their walls. I think they have a couple remnants from the "old days" when the PaB was filled with stock used by/ordered by the model shop. But for the most part, it's not very exciting (they cut the number of bins in half about a year ago).

You can however purchase full cases of S5 and S6 minifigures there.

• jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    ^ That's sad to hear. I've only been to Legoland once, and I remember them having an amazing parts selection on their PAB. Now that it's pretty much standard parts, I have less reason of wanting to go back.
    ^^ They no longer liquidate at conventions either. I was told Tyson's Corner store, near D.C., is the new home for selling surplus of damaged goods.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 497

If you are hungry around Carlsbad, might I suggest a little meat market called Tip Top Meats. They serve a huge breakfast and a cheap prime rib dinner with all the fixens.
    YES! Aside from Legoland itself, my other great memories from my childhood trip to San Diego are of all the great food I had to eat, and I distinctly recall Tip Top Meats. My family ate there for breakfast one morning, and it was beyond delicious. As a single adult, I look forward to returning there as much as Legoland itself.
  • legos4everlegos4ever Member Posts: 45
    The only ride fun for adults is the technic hand. Just pick level 5!
    yys4u
  • ChrisJThunderChrisJThunder United StatesMember Posts: 115
    I have personally been to Legoland and I will say this: rides are okay, food is not good, Lego selection is huge (and discounts are available), Miniland is breathtaking, and it's a theme park based on the best thing ever! The place is great. Honestly, if you aren't just buying Lego, go with your family or let a family invite you. Since most AFOLs are in either for the family or the Lego (both good ideas :) ), my advice is to go with a family, and if/when you split up, cash in on Lego. :)

Below is a picture of the entrance that I took. At first sight I was all "Whoa.... I'M GONNA BUY SOME LEGO!!!" Honestly, the best part of the place is anything with Lego bricks, so you'll probably just enjoy buying. :)

YES! Aside from Legoland itself, my other great memories from my childhood trip to San Diego are of all the great food I had to eat, and I distinctly recall Tip Top Meats. My family ate there for breakfast one morning, and it was beyond delicious. As a single adult, I look forward to returning there as much as Legoland itself.
    Yeah, honestly, in the Legoland park, the food isnt really good... :(-
  • kufkuf Member Posts: 66
    I will probably end up organizing a trip with my brother and nephew to go there over the summer, or I will go beforehand if I end up in San Diego for other business before if I can. I probably will be there for an IRS tax conference (so exciting), but probably won't have time.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @ChrisJThunder can you give examples of the discounts you saw? I'm a SD native, but haven't had the chance to go yet, but will very soon.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    ^^^ Its not good food, but it is better than most amusement parks I've been to -- including Disneyland (except for the corn dogs).

@BrickDancer With a yearly pass, you get 10% off Lego and I think 20% off food. Last time I was there the Pearls were 25% off. Think the series 5 were 33% off.
    @ChrisJThunder can you give examples of the discounts you saw? I'm a SD native, but haven't had the chance to go yet, but will very soon.
    Well, it was a while ago, so I cant remember specifics off the top of my head, but they have sales and exclusives all the time.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    edited March 2012
    ^^^ Its not good food, but it is better than most amusement parks I've been to -- including Disneyland (except for the corn dogs)
    The churros at DL taste great. I can't seem to find churros in Canada.

Anyways, I've been to LegoLand two times and I've enjoyed my visit a whole lot. Although the rides are aimed at children, just walking around Miniland is good enough for me. The water park is fun too. The shop has a nice selection and some cool exclusive LEGOLand souvenirs.
    I am planning to go to Star Wars Days on March 31 and/or April 1. Anyone else going?
    I'm planning to be there on the 31st.
    ^ I'm hoping to get whatever exclusives they may have... fingers crossed on the shirtless Darth Maul minifig. I guess not too many people on this board are going?
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,287
    I can't afford it this year. Had to buy a new A/C (central) unit.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I would if I was closer :) But that is a L-O-N-G drive from Tacoma, WA Lol
  • wiredforsoundwiredforsound Member Posts: 31
    As an AFOL, I had a great time at LEGOland California when I went about a year ago.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiredforsound23/sets/72157625981271777/
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    My best friend is from Orlando area, so WHEN I make it to FL eventually, I have a place to stay at least lol
    Anyone get any goodies today? Was it a normal Darth Maul being handed out at trivia?
  • josephliyenjosephliyen Member Posts: 24
    Hi all, I am planning a visit with my family in the middle of October. Can anyone that recently went there shed some lights on what is new since this topic? After reading this and research on Tip Top Meats I am definitely going there for all my food needs. But Lego wise, anything I should know? We are bringing a 2 year old toddler with us as well, what rides do you recommend? Thanks.
  • YadaYadaYadaYadaYadaYada Member Posts: 5
    Hi

I'm planning on visiting Legoland in June this year and I was planning on staying in the Legoland California Resort Hotel but it seems like it's geared for kids and I can't seem to find any reviews of adults who have stayed there as AFOLs (without kids) and what they've thought of the place and whether it was weird turning up without kids (every review I've read, people have brought their kids). I am interested in the Lego treasure hunt freebies too naturally, but I wonder if they restrict that to kids only (which would be quite disappointing)! Any thoughts/feedback would be great.

Also any tips on Lego displays/shopping/activities around LA/ San Fran/Vancouver/Anchorage, would be great as well!

Thanks in advance!
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Personally I like the Sheraton. More of an adult hotel and it has an access gate into the back of Legoland.
    But regarding the Legoland hotel, why not just call and ask them your questions?
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Joseph,
    I visited LLC in Oct just to see Miniland and walk through the park. Did not go on rides. Did not see any real values in the gift shops except for a couple of tees on sale. I usually don't buy anything else in the parks and am disappointed that they don't have interesting exclusives at each park.
    It is easy to get wet, so do take dry clothes and shoes for all. And just enjoy your free time not fixating on whether or not you find any good buys. You will need a sunny day and possibly a jacket for the wind if it is blowing hard. Have fun!
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    @yadayadayada we went with our kids, but i would recommend it for AFOLs anyway. Just edit the reservation to say 1/2 kids. We said three even though we have two. The reservation lady told me I should so I could get the "treasure" too.
    The hotel is basic, but the proximity and the themes all around were the best parts. There was a great bar we went to once, but just walked through taking picture of the CMF's. The food was ok, but it's a hotel, and it's a buffet. Didn't do room service.
    It was full of kids and I would recommend asking for a room away from the pool. Ours looked out on it and it was a bit loud and annoying. I didn't realize the park closes so early, so figure out what to do in the evenings and at night, would've been bored or at least at a loss if i hadn't known that ahead of time. There's a great restaurant/brewery nearby. That was a great dinner choice, FYI. I would stay there again, we spend three nights there, and it was worth it. I'm a bit biased, though, as we had won a contest and got to go for mostly the price of gas. Long story. Pm me for more information.
  • timttimt Member Posts: 33

Also any tips on Lego displays/shopping/activities around LA/ San Fran/Vancouver/Anchorage, would be great as well!

Thanks in advance!

Hi I'm a member of the VLC in Vancouver, BC. For June 2014 I can only think of one large event going on at that time which is a big Douglas Coupland Art Exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery opening in May. There is one major piece of it that will be LEGO, http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/the_exhibitions/exhibit_coupland.html . Additionally there will be a couple public build day/nights at the museum but I don't know the dates for those yet.

There's also the Vancouver Mini Maker Faire (BC, Canada): June 7 & 8, 2014. Our club is still organizing what sort of commitment we might have there.
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 168
    If you go, Be sure to check the Legoland calendar as they close on many Weekdays and don't open if it rains.

If you're in the area you can get a Shopping Pass. Pay full price admission and you have 1 hour to shop (or quickly check out some of the minilands) If you don't get back to the front gate in 1 hour you pay the full price. If you finish within the hour you get a complete refund at the Guest Services window. Also with the Shopping Pass, If you spend at least $20 in the park, they refund your Parking Fee.