Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Anyone spotted paper bags yet?

Seeing those prototype recycled bricks got me thinking about the previous big eco news Lego had.

The first trials of paper bags in boxed sets was supposed to start this year. I don't know if the pandemic will have delayed it, but I was wondering - has anyone spotted any paper bags yet? Anyone bought a set to find it was part of the trial?

Comments

• The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,407
    edited June 2021
    I don’t think they’re out in the wild yet, besides any leaked trials a while ago now. People would probably post some pics on social media when they see them but I’ve not seen any evidence of that happening yet.

Perhaps the paper bags have been pushed back to 2022? People who’ve found or leaked August 2021 sets early still haven’t had any paper bags so it seems we might not see them until January 2022 at the earliest.

In terms of eco cred from reducing box sizes, I imagine TLG have their own reasons for not reducing them too much more. I would suspect that there’s an invisible point where the size of the box starts to make the Lego look like less value for money to standard consumers. If, for example, a £80 or £90 set was in a box that would currently be used for £50-£60 plenty of people could think ‘that’s small for £60’.
    KungFuKennyFizyx
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,266
    I don’t think they’re out in the wild yet, besides any leaked trials a while ago now. People would probably post some pics on social media when they see them but I’ve not seen any evidence of that happening yet.

Perhaps the paper bags have been pushed back to 2022? People who’ve found or leaked August 2021 sets early still haven’t had any paper bags so it seems we might not see them until January 2022 at the earliest.

In terms of eco cred from reducing box sizes, I imagine TLG have their own reasons for not reducing them too much more. I would suspect that there’s an invisible point where the size of the box starts to make the Lego look like less value for money to standard consumers. If, for example, a £80 or £90 set was in a box that would currently be used for £50-£60 plenty of people could think ‘that’s small for £60’.

I would guess that there may also be some practical reasons for having packaging that has some air/space in it. At some point there's a potential that pieces could be put under undue stress or even damaged during packaging and over the course of shipping/sitting on shelves/getting beat up before the boxes are opened by the consumer.  Additionally, the way LEGO is packaged requires some level of flexibility in packing, being loose inside the smaller bags and all, and when the box gets too small you start to lose some of that flexibility.

Now, that said, there are still certain box formfactors/sizes that are generally too big for most of the sets that use them that could be shrunk, I'm sure.  I'm mainly just saying that there's a good chance that there are other reasons that make reducing boxes past a certain size a bad idea, and that size is actually probably bigger than most people would think.
    560HeliportBumblepantsAstrobricksiwybs
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,357
    edited June 2021
    Yeah people love to complain about the volume of air in a bag of chips/crisps but if that air wasn't there it would just be a bag of crumbs.

Some Lego sets recently have felt almost too full to me but I can't think of any specific one at the moment.
    The_RancorFizyxAstrobricksiwybsKungFuKenny
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 548
    Yeah people love to complain about the volume of air in a bag of chips/crisps but if that air wasn't there it would just be a bag of crumbs.

Some Lego sets recently have felt almost too full to me but I can't think of any specific one at the moment.
    The air is actually there because most of the chips have crumbled already, they start out full and get crunched to the point where the space cushions the remaining chips. That's why chip bags always have some crumbs at the bottom.

Lego can't do that, every piece must be intact. If you squeeze them into a tight box only bad things will happen.
    KungFuKenny
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,273
    Paging anyone who is a packaging engineer! :)
    KungFuKenny
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 685

If you squeeze them into a tight box only bad things will happen.
    In a sense, that's how the bricks are made!
    560HeliportFizyxKungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,367

The air is actually there because most of the chips have crumbled already, they start out full and get crunched to the point where the space cushions the remaining chips. That's why chip bags always have some crumbs at the bottom.

Lego can't do that, every piece must be intact. If you squeeze them into a tight box only bad things will happen.
    I was taught that a bag of chips leaves the factory with only 2 chips - a mom and a dad.  During shipping baby chips are born and grow.  That’s why bags that have been on the shelf longer are fuller than newly stocked bags…
    YellowcastleMarshallmarioFizyx