Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO reveals prototype brick made from recycled plastic

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 1,227,106
edited June 2021 in Brickset.com articles
LEGO reveals prototype brick made from recycled plastic

Here's a press release about an exciting new development in the manufacture of LEGO parts:

The LEGO Group today unveiled a prototype LEGO brick made from recycled plastic, the latest step in its journey to make LEGO products from sustainable materials.

The new prototype, which uses PET plastic from discarded bottles, is the first brick made from a recycled material to meet the company’s strict quality and safety requirements.

A team of more than 150 people are working to find sustainable solutions for LEGO products. Over the past three years, materials scientists and engineers tested over 250 variations of PET materials and hundreds of other plastic formulations. The result is a prototype that meets several of their quality, safety and play requirements – including clutch power.

Continue reading »

© 2021 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

panchox1Aanchir

Comments

• lowleadlowlead Member Posts: 680
    Go for it!
    As long as the end result is indistinguishable from the current formula, I don't care if they're made of recycled unicorn poop.
    Switchfoot55560HeliportmadforLEGOBumblepantsAanchir
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Member Posts: 5,446
    There is one thing that will almost certainly change. The sound of rooting around in Lego bricks.
    lowleadBrickfan50
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Member Posts: 243
    ^ I read somewhere years ago that the sound is also something they looked into! Don’t know where I found that though…
    lowleadAanchir
  • lowleadlowlead Member Posts: 680
    ^^ Now that I have shifted to the silent sound of systematic sorting, I may be willing to make that sonic sacrifice.  Sorting also solved the surplus of surface scratches.
    AstrobricksLyichir
  • bricktuarybricktuary Member Posts: 986
    Says someone surely super-sensitive, sonically.

Sometimes such sounds - suggesting some structural shaping shortly - simply soothe.
    AstrobricksLyichirlowlead
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie Member Posts: 1,813
    I hope the bricks made from recycled plastic are as durable as the originals. Given the lifespan of original bricks, eventually all the plastic on earth will end up being LEGO bricks. 
    Switchfoot55KungFuKennylowlead
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Member Posts: 3,280
    It's interesting the sound aspect was brought up. I would have never considered this, but it almost certainly would be the case. My ear has become fairly attuned to the right sound when sorting bulk lots. The MegaBloks have an entirely different sound to me. 

If only they would start making the tires out of recycled tires. 
    AstrobrickslowleadBrickfan50Mynatt
  • bricktuarybricktuary Member Posts: 986
    and the minifigs out of recycled... no, never mind
    560HeliportKungFuKennylowleadAanchirCymbeline
  • Russell844Russell844 Member Posts: 2,394
    Soylent green is good!
    Switchfoot55KungFuKennyAstrobrickslowleadCymbelinedrdavewatfordbricktuary
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Member Posts: 5,446
    and the minifigs out of recycled... no, never mind
    Recycled figs? At least they’d be plant based :)
    Aanchir
  • LyichirLyichir Member Posts: 1,009
    It's interesting the sound aspect was brought up. I would have never considered this, but it almost certainly would be the case. My ear has become fairly attuned to the right sound when sorting bulk lots. The MegaBloks have an entirely different sound to me. 

If only they would start making the tires out of recycled tires. 
    From what I've read the issue with using recycled tires is that with used tires it's very hard to maintain purity and non-toxicity, given the fact that tires pick up a lot of oil, heavy metals, and other chemical debris from the road over their lifespan. That makes recycled tire rubber not really practical for a small toy kids are more likely than not to put in their mouths.

Recycled plastic of this sort can currently be cleaned and processed more effectively, especially since unlike tires plastic bottles are non-porous and don't retain chemical residue to nearly the same extent.
    Switchfoot55AanchirBumblepantsstluxMynatt