Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Valuation of the 2012 NY Toy Fair Marvel Giveaway

samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,234
edited February 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
These were exclusives to the Toy Fair, only 125 in existence. I got one and was wondering who else was able to snag them? They are currently fetching incredible amounts of money on eBay.

Comments

• skherbeckskherbeck Member Posts: 33
    This Ironman looks much better than the "Big Headed" version I've seen elsewhere... which one will be in the sets?
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited February 2012
    "incredible amounts of money" You got that right! :-) I don't know about such events, but would this pay for your entry fee, hotel, etc? Good gravy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Toy-Fair-Lego-Avengers-Iron-Man-Captain-America-Exclusive-Figures-Lanyard-/250996615360?pt=US_Comics_Figurines&hash=item3a709068c0#ht_500wt_1156
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,234
    I know right? The "big head" version is the one that most likely appears in the sets unfortunately.
    For both figures, they are exclusive actually. The Captain America that appears in the common sets has a belt variation/slightly different torso. The Ironman is almost a completely different figure, head looks so much better on the 1/125 instead of the version LEGO is selling in the common set. Makes it much more desirable for collectors, hoping mine goes up in price fast!
    "incredible amounts of money" You got that right! :-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Toy-Fair-Lego-Avengers-Iron-Man-Captain-America-Exclusive-Figures-Lanyard-/250996615360?pt=US_Comics_Figurines&hash=item3a709068c0#ht_500wt_1156
    Yes, crazy already. Hope it keeps going up too, better for me!

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,135
    $300+ on eBay last I checked. There is always the possibility that these will be given out at another convention or even in a future set or promotion. Highly unlikely, but a possibility.

The Big Headed version are included in the next wave of Super Heroes sets.
    Good gravy again! mistress_chimera on eBay has sold 2 and is selling a 3rd! 1 sold for $425, 1 sold for $450, 1 currently at $316. Amazing.
    $300+ on eBay last I checked. There is always the possibility that these will be given out at another convention or even in a future set or promotion. Highly unlikely, but a possibility.

The Big Headed version are included in the next wave of Super Heroes sets.
    Yes, after I got mine I checked everywhere looking for proof that these would be available in the future. So far, everything has proven that they are 100% exclusive to 100% as a sort of "kick off" to the DC/Marvel sets being released this year. One of the largest pieces of evidence is the fact that there is information on the bag that contains the figures about the Toy Fair itself. There is also a badge that comes with it that is marked ___/125. Hard to believe that LEGO produces anymore, I'm pretty sold on the fact that it's out of 125.
    Good gravy again! mistress_chimera on eBay has sold 2 and is selling a 3rd! 1 sold for $425, 1 sold for $450, 1 currently at $316. Amazing.
    I wonder how that eBay seller got 3 if there are only 125 handed out, and only one to each person?
    She probably bought them from suckers for $50....
    edited February 2012
    No kidding. I'm thinking she picked them up from a few other people there real cheap, ones that did not want them (fools).
    Are you selling yours on Ebay or planning to? At those prices, I would sell even though I'm a big Marvel fan. If not, what is your target price.... not that I'm in the market.
    No, I will in the future though. Plan on holding onto this item for a while. I would target $500 right now. When people actually start collecting the sets/figures though I hope it would go upwards to a $1000 or so. But that is me spitballing.
    Good luck. Remember you run the risk of these guys being released elsewhere, however slim that might be.
    Thank you. Yes, I realize that. I'll be paying very close attention to the market and LEGO... make sure they don't pull a fast one on me!
  • YpresYpres Member Posts: 200
    I think it's funny some idiot is willing to pay 400+ dollars for a pair of minifigures. I really don't see why the minifigures need to be that collectable, but perhaps to a hardcore Mavel fan (who has to have EVERYTHING) it's worth every unemployed cent. I see no reason as a Lego collector to even be tempted at purchasing these figures for anywhere near the $100 range. On a good day I'd call the Marvel sets par at best, but no love for Lego could justify someone wasting that much money on Marvel figures.
    Yes, to a hardcore Marvel fan these will be worth everything down the road. Which is why ( as a non-marvel fan) I'll be selling these down the road.
    ^ Hey, we're paying hundreds of $$'s all the time. Is a USC MF worth $2,000? None of it makes sense if you ask me. :-) Logic doesn't apply. :-) Just ask my wife!
    It really doesn't... oh what people pay for their toys.
  • 4brickmoney4brickmoney Member Posts: 27
    Yeah sometimes I get a weird comment about spending money on "toys". They are the same people who spend hundreds on Football and Basketball. To each his own.
    Yeah sometimes I get a weird comment about spending money on "toys". They are the same people who spend hundreds on Football and Basketball. To each his own.
    Well said... toys=treasure.

• murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    Hi all, first post for me here. Out of curiosity how do they determine who gets these limited edition items at the show? The Javits Center hosts way more than 125 people, so what does one do to get one of these sets when they're there. My job is actually a contractor for the Javits, so there's a possibility I could go to the next event there and stop by the Lego booth, I'm just trying to figure out what one does when there to get an exclusive. I've seen that they sometimes sell exclusive sets as well, that's simple, bring money-hand over for goods, but this i'm lost on. Thanks! -bill
    Bill,
    I believe it was a press release? There were only 125 "admittance" badges handed out (seen by the ___/125 # on each badge), or lanyards for lack of a better word. So only 125 people were admitted into whatever it was they were holding, and were then given these rare figures. That's my best guess.
    Sam
  • weaponxdeadpoolweaponxdeadpool Member Posts: 4
    There are a bunch more figures than actual press badges. I was there and had a chance to see a box of these figures(hundreds) as they were with the limited edition lanyard kit. Its the lanyard that is Limited Edition, folks. Yes, there will be more of these figures. But that doesn't mean they won't be valuable. Also, there is a good chance both figures will be available in future promotions. But more than 125 of these figures were definitely given out. TLG doesnt print only 125 figures like this, they usually do a few thousand at least.Seems like more than 125 have been sold on ebay already. The real treasure is Green Lantern, which will likely never have a minifgure version. I really like the Iron Man though, and hope they give us an option in the set to use the printed head or plastic helmet. If history repeats itself, the price to these will drop once other versions are released. Just like the Batman stuff plummeted when the new Super Hero sets came out. Blue cape Batman was $100. Now it barely fetches $30. Two face was a $30-40 figure. now it barely reaches $15. And they are different versions, too. And we will watch printed legs Boba Fett from Cloud City tank when the new printed Fett comes out in Skiff. At $500 you'd be crazy to not sell these. People just want an Iron man or Cap, they dont care about rarity. My advice, sell. ASAP. May is right around the corner.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I agree with @weaponxdeadpool, as I had been hearing rumours since end of 2010 beginning of 2011 that LEGO will release a new theme called Super Heroes with DC and Marvel universe characters. That time I was close to buying some Batman 1 mini figures namely Killer Croc 40$, Two Face $40, Riddler $30. But then I decided not to. And surprisingly I found a very good deal on Killer Croc set which was 100% complete, and paid 60$ for it with shipping to Pakistan. And now we can get those old mini figures a bit easily at a decent price and new ones will be found everywhere in next 2 years to collect as many as we need.

I also heard that LEGO will release two versions of Iron Man, Cap America, Wolverine and another Marvel Superhero in 2012 end-2013 beginning so going to wait and be patient :P, just my opinion.
    If they have 10 versions of Batman, they surely will have several versions of Iron Man. He appears in about 50 armours.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited February 2012
    Almost $500 for two minifigs says to me a lot of people are going to loose a lot of money on lego fairly soon.

And from a production run point of view surely there'll be much more than 125 of them.
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    edited February 2012
    ^ Yes, if you have one now, you better sell it. Once the Marvel theme is released, they'll probably drop at least $100. $250 for a plastic minifig is ridiculous!
    I'll be looking to sell mine soon then. Thanks for the advice all! Especially @weaponxdeadpool That is very helpful to know there are more than 125.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    edited February 2012
    If I had these figs, I'd put them up for sale before I finished typing this sentence. Dump those suckers and cash in while you can.

And if you REALLY love them, rebuy them in a year when they're $100 or w/e.
    Yeah but that auction has the book of upcoming catalog items it may hold further secrets.
    I got the book as well, and a lot of other auctions have as well. Price is continuing to rise as they disappear on the eBay market since qualities are limited as of right now. Can anyone confirm @weaponxdeadpool that the figures are not limited to 125? Want to make sure before I sell a potential investment.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    If I was in your position, I would methodically do the following:

1) Get a legal pad...the one with yellow paper, extra long.

2) Grab a black ballpoint pen

3) Top of the paper, write "Pros" on one side

4) Write "Cons" on the other side

5) Draw a line down the center

6) Pro #1, write "$350"

7) Con #1 write...

...wait, $350 for 2 minifigs?!?

8) Roll paper up

9) Trash it

10) Sell sell sell
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 940
    Billy Ray Valentine: "So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it. "
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Blue Horseshoe loves Endicott Steel
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 940
    ^^^

Wall Street...love it!!!
    @tk97 I completely agree, the only thing that holds me back is the chance that the figures prices go up? For example:
    First few days after the Toy fair ended, several (about 7) of these went up for auction. First one went for $270, then the prices dramatically increased as they got scarcer and scarcer on the market. So if this is really just 125 limited edition, won't the price rocket after they totally disappear from the market?
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    edited February 2012
    ^ Perhaps. But overnight it could be revealed that 10K were actually produced and will be distributed through some other means, and they could fall to $50 in the span of a few days. You could buy 3x modulars with those couple pieces of plastic, heh.
    I hate making decisions like this because you are absolutely right. It's either $50 or $1000... to much like a stock for me.
    One thing that seems to make it exclusive is that it comes in the weird toy fair 2012 packaging with the sleeping guy from the series minifig line. Also with the badges marked ___/125.. just so tough. I need some solid evidence...
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    As my daddy used to say*, "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered", but obviously it's your call...if you like the thrill of gambling a bit, then hang onto it and see if it keeps going up, but if you want to lock in your cash, sell it.

*My dad actually never said this, but I thought it would sound better coming from a position of great elderly wisdom than a man in his 30's that plays with toys.
    I always keep in mind how much I paid for it. If I get something cheap its hard for me to really feel bad if the price goes up or down. Now if I pay for it. It drives me nuts or makes me want to drink>
    Are you looking to cover for the expenses paid during the event or did your company pay for everything... is $1000 for 2 figures a going rate for some figures? I imagine the solid gold C3PO, but that is even rarer.
    ^No, I'm not.
    No, the price of $1,000 is not a going rate, although some figures are marching their way up there. The CHROME C-3PO is continually rising and is fetching prices of around $250 (I have 10 of these so I'm watching it's stock). The solid gold I imagine would fetch in the couple of thousands to $10,000. If there is only 125, I can see it reaching $1000+... but is there really only 125? That's the question I need answered..
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Your alternatives...

1) Price could remain constant for the next xxx (fill in a time frame)
    2) Price could skyrocket
    3) Price could plummet

I've seen this with other collectibles. My advice is if you want to make a profit, do it while the market is hot and don't look back.... just move one to the next thing. If prices then go up you lost out on a greater profit, but if prices drop you were lucky to sell before they did go down. Just be happy you got them and you have a chance to make something off of them. Don't get greedy thinking you'll hit the jackpot, because if it doesn't happen, then you'll really be pissed at yourself for not acting sooner.
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    Is this Captain America fig the same as the one that TRU just revealed?
    @stephenvw- No it's not. There is a difference on the torso.
    Cheers,
    Sam
  • vader34mtvader34mt Member Posts: 88
    if you have these...and you're not selling them now while theyre averaging 300-500 dollars...you are off the wall INSANE
    @vader34mt.. with the possibility that they could reach $1000? I will most likely sell, but there's a chance I'll keep if I can find better proof that there really only 125 of these in existence.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Iron man = cool --- keep and wait
    Captain America = not that different from released verions ----- dump
    @Rainstorm26-Captain America actually has a different torso, it's a lot more detailed than the one they are coming out with and looks a lot cooler.
    Ironman is miles better than the one they are releasing in the sets, agreed.