Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

21327 Typewriter announced!

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 4,168
edited June 9 in Brickset.com articles
21327 Typewriter announced!

LEGO has officially announced the newest Ideas model!

21327 Typewriter, 2079 pieces

€199.99 / $199.99 / £179.99 / $329.99 AUD / $269.99 CAD

Available from the 1st of July, with VIP early access on the 16th of June

The LEGO Group reveals elegant new Typewriter set based on winning fan design

The LEGO Group has revealed the new LEGO Ideas Typewriter set which is set to delight the most seasoned wordsmiths and fans of all things vintage. Designed by LEGO fan, Steve Guinness from Chester, UK, as part of the LEGO Ideas platform, the LEGO Ideas Typewriter is based on a contemporary typewriter model of a bygone era, including the one used by LEGO Group founder Ole Kirk Christiansen.

Continue reading »

© 2021 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 1,904
    The Designer video makes this much more tempting to me!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLA7gZzdtU&feature=youtu.be
    gratefulnatlowleadmessyYellowcastleMr_Cross
  • lowleadlowlead USAMember Posts: 123
    I made a drive-by positive post in the Comments section in place of my usual salt slinging (yay me!).  But it bears repeating - this is one of those sets that looks like the real thing without even squinting much.  I'm really impressed with the realism.
    Will I actually purchase one?  Maybe.  But credit when credit due - I see you, LEGO. 
    gratefulnatKungFuKennyYellowcastletomahawkerpxchris
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,201
    I've been waiting a LEGO typewriter ever since the first season of LEGO Masters in the UK. The price may be tight for my already tight LEGO budget...but perhaps it'll be an appropriate time to cash in my VIP rewards. This just looks fantastic!
    gratefulnatKungFuKennyYellowcastlepxchris
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,860
    A little pricey but very cool.  That being said, I’d like to see a pic of it next to some modulars before I plan to put it in my city.  :o)
    Switchfoot55Mynattbandit778
  • asherkobinasherkobin Member Posts: 125
    This is they kind of Lego set I have been wanting for years.  Something mechanical that isn't a Technic vehicle or Mindstorms.  I believe the Piano was the first set to do this concept.  On the Ideas website I've seen a very cool working clock.  A simplified adding machine (re: Babbage's difference engine) could probably be made from Lego as well.  Essentially anything that performs a task.  A scale, a lock, a vending machine, a slot machine...you get the idea.
    Brainslugged
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,165
    Cool use of the new fender elements from the Porsche.
    Mynatt
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 337
    I feel placing the letter stickers accurately/straight on those round tiles may prove difficult (assuming they are stickers).
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 602
    edited June 10
    canon03 said:
    I feel placing the letter stickers accurately/straight on those round tiles may prove difficult (assuming they are stickers).
    My guess (and hope) would be they are prints. It seemed like in the Daily Bugle there's a new production technique where a series of different prints are all bagged together. I would guess the same printing/bagging technique would be used here. 

However, printing on square bricks seems easier than round bricks. I'm interested to see the reviews on how they all align up with the press images and renders. I got some faith in their QC that the printing is consistent.

Edit: looks like CaptainRex on the main page comments mentions they are printed.
    KungFuKennySwitchfoot55
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,165
    Why does it say “shift key” on the shift key? Shouldn’t it just say “shift”?  It doesn’t say “A key” on the A key, etc.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,939
    Why does it say “shift key” on the shift key? Shouldn’t it just say “shift”?  It doesn’t say “A key” on the A key, etc.
    Early typewriters like this did indeed have a "shift key" key.
    I really like it, If I had somewhere to display it, it would be an instant purchase. 
    panchox1Mr_CrossAstrobricks
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,292
    While I'm not sure I will end up buying this (only due to budget and display areas), I must 100% echo @lowlead 's sentiments - this is an absolutely superbly designed model! It's an amazingly faithful representation of a real-world object at nearly 1:1 scale. While in a completely different genre, I get vibes of the NES because of that realism. Bravo indeed!
    Switchfoot55
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,653
    pxchris said:
    It's an amazingly faithful representation of a real-world object at nearly 1:1 scale. While in a completely different genre, I get vibes of the NES because of that realism. Bravo indeed!
    I agree it's an amazingly detailed model, but I suspect it's quite a long way off 1:1 scale. It'll probably seem a lot smaller in real life. The paper "letters" that are included with it seem to be about A5 size which is a quarter A4/Letter by area. If every dimension of this typewriter is half of the actual one, it will only take up about an eighth of the volume.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,427
    I think it's ace. If for no other reason than a parts pack! Seriously considering it just to try building alternate models.