Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any rumors on the next "Direct" sets?

rickykrickyk Member Posts: 1
edited February 2012 in Collecting
We've got the eiffel tower, the tower bridge (london), the carousel. also have a couple of the ferraris
Couldn't justify/afford the Taj Mahal when it was avaialble.
What are the next big sets up and coming/projected? Not interested in the Star Wars collection, but do agree they are quite impressive....

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I am not aware of any announced, or even rumored...

I agree we need another one, however with the London Olympics coming up, I see Tower Bridge here for another year.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @rickyk which Ferraris are you referring to?
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    Huw has the Sopwith Camel classified with the Tower Bridge. It's due out this year. Only 883 pieces but I bet that's a pretty big model when built. Looking forward to it. We've only got the Tower Bridge, though in a late night moment of insanity I recently loaded the part list for the Taj Mahal into Bricklink :).
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    IMO, the modular buildings should be included in "big sets". There you have the Town Hall, release date March 1'st.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,877
    edited February 2012
    I think all the known 2012 'direct' sets are in the database already, http://www.brickset.com/search/?query=10223-10230, although there are some unallocated numbers in the range so we could see some more.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    edited February 2012
    @Huw ..... curious.... I notice you have 10228 Haunted House listed as a Monster Fighters set. Is this set confirmed as being a MF set or is the theme an educated guess/conveniant designation so as to fit it into the database?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,877
    Educated guess at the moment.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ I'm betting against it personally
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    ^^ Me too. I see TLG moving towards a "Halloween Village" that would parallel the "Chistmas Village" models.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    Add me to the naysayers. Based on the pattern of other releases, it makes sense that dracula's castle would be the big set from that line. I can't see them creating two large sets from a theme just released. The current size and set types for Monster Fighters seems very much in line with a release like Alien Cnquest or Pharoah's Quest.

On the other hand, if their winter line has been a success, I can easily see them creating a fall line.

As it is, I am already 'hooked' into buying more winter sets if they create more. I would quickly be hooked into a fall line. Actually, I am already hooked if they do it.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    As it is, I am already 'hooked' into buying more winter sets if they create more. I would quickly be hooked into a fall line. Actually, I am already hooked if they do it.
    A problem I have with the winter line is that at Christmas the house is already full of decorations. I wouldn't really have a good place to display the whole Winter Village.

A "haunted village" theme wouldn't have to compete as much for display space, at least in my house.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I'd wager more heavily on it just being a Lego exclusive made to reuse the mold of the ghost from the Ghost Train set. Perhaps fearing a lack of interest in the upcoming line and believing it's a one-and-done, they want to pad their expense on that mold. A lot of the other molds made for that line might have other uses but what else can you do with a ghost besides a haunted house? Given the apparent demise of the castle line that eliminates the former use for them (the old ghost piece turning up in numerous castle sets long ago).

• MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    I think all the known 2012 'direct' sets are in the database already, http://www.brickset.com/search/?query=10223-10230, although there are some unallocated numbers in the range so we could see some more.
    I've seen 10229 predicted as the ID for the next Winter Village set.

• BarneyBPBarneyBP Member Posts: 35
    I'd love to see a Big Ben join the Tower Bridge, especially if it could make use of the clock piece from Town Hall.

Also - could anyone clarify for me what "direct" means? I've seen it used quite a bit, including by designers in Lego's own videos who "used to work on the 'direct' team," but I'm not sure what it implies. Seems to mean sets that are sold only in Lego stores and Lego.com? But I do see some of those sets (like Tower Bridge) also sold on Amazon.

Thanks!
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    ^ You are correct. They are only available from Lego to start but are released to other retailers later. There are exceptions as with everything Lego.
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    edited March 2012
    @BarneyBP - Big Ben is being released as an architecture set this year, if I'm not mistaken. As an English AFOL, though, I am keen to see some unique English landmarks released as bigger sets.
  • UKtsumiUKtsumi Member Posts: 626
    edited May 2012
    Does anyone have any ideas which structure will follow Tower Bridge after it has finished?
    I've only been a fan for a few years so correct me if Im wrong. As far as buildings go, we've had - Statue of Liberty/Eiffle Tower/Taj Mahal/Tower Bridge --- wouldn't the Moscow Red Square Cathedral be great!
    Mods please change category.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    A Tower Bridge-sized Big Ben would be sweet. They just released the small architecture version and just did a London-based model so I don't know how likely that would be. We will wait and see and whatever it is I will get it!
    I'm not so sure about a TB sized Big Ben, as the architecture would, for the most part, be the same.

However, the Red Square Cathedral is a good idea. They've done France, India, UK, US, move to a different country. Perhaps something Italian?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    oh, I thought you were talking about Creator from the title, but reading your post you mean Direct/Large Scale Models.

Sydney Opera House could have been very cool, but they just released an absolutely terrible architecture version, so there goes that idea. Not sure what might be next, but I would be against cathedrals for the religion aspect.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    Leaning Tower of Pisa? That would be very cool.
    How about the Disneyland Castle ?
    How about the Disneyland Castle ?
    Well they already have the license for the Disney Duplo Princess, so why not? That would be awesome!
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    The Roman Coloseium would be awesome, but unlikely. Or one of the famous Italian churches.
  • ptericpteric Member Posts: 156
    Yeah, the DisneyWorld Cinderella Castle would be realy nice and cover the US, Japan, and France (is that one still open)
    How about the Golden Gate Bridge? Ok, they just did a bridge, so maybe not, but at least the design and color is different. :)

I would suggest Christ the Redeemer (the one in Brazil), however that would be too religious.

How about something Japanese or Chinese? (see picture for example, not that building, but that style)
    edited May 2012
    this one? The golden pavillion - Kyoto
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    ^ & ^^ Too close to this one ...

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=21016-1
    edited May 2012
    Yes, ,, My favourite bet would be disneyland castle.
    I think I have seen a MOC of this somewhere?

or, how about the Sphinx/Pyramids? - huge amount of tan bricks!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Pyramids would be too boring to look at, even with an interior - and too much overlap with PQ. Doesn't every kid make one anyway when first playing with lego? A 2x2, then a level of two 2x4s, then four 2x4s for the next level and keep going down until you run out of bricks. It is one of the only models I always remember making downwards rather than from the bottom up.
    I always thought St Mark's Basilica would look excellent if immortalised in Lego.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I'm usually not big on remakes... but I'd really like a 'proper' Statue of Liberty, if I'm being completely honest. Any of the original Seven Wonders (with the exception of the aforementioned Great Pyramid of Giza) would also be welcome... with the Lighthouse of Alexandria being my first choice and The Hanging Gardens of Babylon being my second (and probably much more unrealistic) choice.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ The lighthouse and mausoleum are the only 2 I could see being interesting enough to be stand alone sets. A full series of all 7 would be interesting since I've always loved them but the others I can't see them doing in LEGO. The pyramids, gardens, and temple of Artemis all wouldn't be very interesting in LEGO really. The temple would be if the scale was large enough to make decent sized columns but I can't see them doing it since it is too repetitive. The colossus and statue of Zeus are both just statues so I couldn't see them doing that either.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    There are so many architectural marvels, I don't even know where to begin! The Westin Bonaventure Hotel in LA would be interesting, more from the inside than the outside.

http://walknridela.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/WestinBonaventure10.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hockeybroad/6485847023/

Cathedrals are a natural choice, but again, the religion "thing"... This one was done by Robert Venturi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Espicopal_Acad_int.JPG
    Kind of bridges the gap between (post)modern and classic, secular and religious.

Which brings up another issue, intriguing to me anyway: what would we like to see, classic keystones or modern mindbenders? And man oh man, wouldn't it be great if, following the Creator precedent of multiple models... you see where I'm going here, right?

I got it! How about a GLOBE!
    ^ I like the Petronas tower idea.
    Mt Rushmore, or st basils cathedral in Russia would be nice
    ^^^^ Speaking of a Globe, the Globe theater would be a pretty cool set.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    The Floating Palace Jaipur would look cool if they could properly mimic the reflection in the water... maybe a chrome-blue baseplate?

I would like to see something Japanese inspired. Imagine a four sided Fire Temple with detailed interior. Not really interested in a colosseum or another euro-structure.
    ^ I've been there and it is a very interesting place to visit. The torii wouldn't make a very good set on its own and the full shrine is a little repetitive to really make an interesting set especially with the flat and wide shape. It would either be too big or would be too flat to have decent detail.
    Yeah I've been there too. Got bit by a snow monkey up on the mountain
    ^ haha nice. I really enjoyed the hike up on Mt Misen. Seeing the monkeys that close was something I hadn't seen like that before.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    The Flavian Amphitheatre (better known as the Coliseum) would be an excellent model. Not only would it be a well-known landmark (widely considered the most recognizeable Roman ruin as well as that of all Italian history too) but it would showcase a diversity of different builds and architectural styles. The three levels of the Coliseum each feature a different classical order: Doric on the first level, Ionic on the second and Corinthian on the third. The existing ruins break up the symmetry of the design as well (much like the Death Star II model wasn't just a ball of Lego).
    ^ Makes you wonder how many of our buildings will still be around in a thousand years... :)
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Would love to see either a classic Roman or Greek structure. Either one would be awesome.

If Lego wanted to be modern, maybe Yankee or Cowboy stadium with the big screen.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Talked to a store manager today about the next modular coming in September. She wouldn't tell me what it was, only that its something really unexpected and fantastic. I quickly googled it a bit, as she suggested, but I didn't come up with anything.
    ^ Are you sure she is a reliable source?