Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[US] 3866 Battle of Hoth Availabilty

Waterjedi17Waterjedi17 Member Posts: 44
edited February 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
"A usually reliable source has informed me that Star Wars: Battle of Hoth, a new title in the LEGO games series due out in 2012 that hotted up a number of BGG News readers, will not be available in the U.S. due to licensing issues. I'll be at NY Toy Fair next week to check up on this info."

Source: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=66336

I believe 3866 was not at the NY toy fair, but I'd like to hear an official word from Lego before buying overseas. Very disappointing news if true.

Comments

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    If so, @Matthew, I know what we can exchange in a trade now.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Happy to oblige if it's confirmed, and I doubt you'll be the only one...
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I would be interested in one as well
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    *raises hand*

If this isn't for sale in the US, I'll take 20 of them, I'm sure I'll find takers, and shipping them all at once across the pond is cheaper than 1 at a time. ;)
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Will this be the first SW game?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,798
    @lft,

Wouldn't you be breaking copyright selling them?

Rich
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    @lft,

Wouldn't you be breaking copyright selling them?

Rich
    There is no copyright law involved here, and the first sale doctrine ensures that a person can sell them second hand.

• dodgedodge Member Posts: 14
    Pirate Plank didn't come to NA for quite a while after it had been released elseware. I would wager it would only be a matter of time if it didn't come out in the initial offering.
  • maesterjaymaesterjay Member Posts: 71
    if there are copyright issues will we be able to order it from [email protected] since they at times ship from outside the USA like with the PickABrick? would that be a loophole or is ordering from a US site still an issue?
    Actually, the first sale doctrine doesn't apply here...

Lego could, if they wished, put a stop to the sales... Take a look at the recent CostCo lawsuit over imported watches... First Sale Doctrine only applies when the items were legally obtained in the first place, through an authorized transaction or sale, importing them from the "gray market" doesn't count, and the courts have ruled as such.

That being said, would Lego sue me? Unlikely... :) At least over 20 sets... Now if I tried to import 20,000 of them, then they might get involved.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,798
    ^ I would sort of be uncomfortable sending any to America given I don't fully understand the legal position.

Having said that, surely the legal issue will be sorted out soon. Hogwarts game was available wasn't it?
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,500
    ^ I'd send 1 for someone's personal collection, but not multiples for resale. But then that's my stance in most cases anyway!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I'm one of the sellers on bricklink (overpriced of course, as there's not been any way to get this at a discount yet). I did sell one at that price to Sweden, was gonna pull my listing, but might leave it and see what happens...
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited February 2012
    Actually, the first sale doctrine doesn't apply here...

Lego could, if they wished, put a stop to the sales... Take a look at the recent CostCo lawsuit over imported watches... First Sale Doctrine only applies when the items were legally obtained in the first place, through an authorized transaction or sale, importing them from the "gray market" doesn't count, and the courts have ruled as such.

That being said, would Lego sue me? Unlikely... :) At least over 20 sets... Now if I tried to import 20,000 of them, then they might get involved.
    Trust me, I'm a lawyer. It will apply. As Costco is a retailer/distributor, the first sale doctrine will likely not apply to Costco, or a mom and pop shop for that matter, assuming they acquire the item via a distribtor. It will apply to an individual. If you buy a toy in the UK and bring it to the States, you have legally obtained the item. If you are a watch distributor and obtain watches wholesale through a foreign distributor, you have not legally obtained the items.

Besides, Costco v. Omega isn't settled law because an opinion was never written.
  • bluelion3bluelion3 Member Posts: 156
    edited July 2012
    Amazon.co.uk wouldn't ship one to me in the USA. It said: "Important Message--LEGO Games 3866: Star Wars The Battle of Hoth cannot be shipped to the selected address." I have ordered from amazon.co.uk in the past.

Next I tried amazon.fr and they DID allow me to place the order. I got a shipping confirmation today. It was EUR 23.47 plus EUR 7.04 for shipping to the USA. In USD, it was $38.43. I ordered it yesterday and it is due to arrive August 11. Now I have wait patiently...

The cheapest one I saw on eBay for the USA was $42.83 plus $6.00 shipping. I didn't spend a lot of time checking Bricklink to see who would ship to me, but most were already more expensive.

This is for my personal use (and my son's) and not for resale!
  • SpiderManSpiderMan Member Posts: 47
    My sister was just studying abroad in Spain and is bringing me a set back! Should be home tomorrow!
    ^ Are you happy to see her again or the game? ;)

After I ordered online, my wife said, "Why didn't you ask your friend Xavi in Barcelona to send you one?" Duh!
    I tried Amazon.es out of curiosity. They wanted EUR 22-ish for the game and EUR 22-ish for the SHIPPING.
    Ma1234 said:

Trust me, I'm a lawyer.

I don't think those two go together... ;)

You also didn't put "this is not legal advice", so does that mean I can count on your opinion? :)
    Ma1234 said:

It will apply. As Costco is a retailer/distributor, the first sale doctrine will likely not apply to Costco, or a mom and pop shop for that matter, assuming they acquire the item via a distribtor. It will apply to an individual. If you buy a toy in the UK and bring it to the States, you have legally obtained the item. If you are a watch distributor and obtain watches wholesale through a foreign distributor, you have not legally obtained the items.

Besides, Costco v. Omega isn't settled law because an opinion was never written.

The only problem with all that, is that just because something is legal in another country doesn't make it legal here.

I can't buy *anything* in the UK or any other country and just expect to be able to bring it into the US without question.

Now, this specific item may or may not apply, but I don't think it is that clear cut.

There is another issue... There is what is legal, then there is what legal you can afford. TLG can spend more money on lawyers than I can, so they can win by default in that regard.
  • SpiderManSpiderMan Member Posts: 47
    ^^ can I pass on that question? (;
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,355
    Like Cuban Cigars? Maybe copyright laws aren't the same. I'm not a lawyer so you can trust me at least for now ;)
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    ^^ Totally offtopic here but that was the first thing I got when we got to Iraq was a Cuban cigar lol....They weren't all that special to me :) The Acid blue label cigars were better IMO...Just brought back a memory of that
    ^ Even more off-topic...

I get why we haven't liked Cuba for awhile, but if we were honest about it, those same reasons apply to a lot of other countries... but we don't embargo them...

Has enough time passed to just let it go and lift the embargo and move on?
    My Battle of Hoth game arrived yesterday, all the way from Amazon.fr. If you're in the USA and you want one for your personal use, I'd suggest you try them. I didn't finish building it, let alone playing it, but it looks pretty cool. My son really likes Heroica and now he wants to play with the snowspeeders. It's a real shame that most LEGO fans in the USA can't get this easily. I would love to see more LEGO Star Wars games. The Star Wars microfigures are great!