Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Understanding the Brickset word cloud

rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
edited February 2012 in Brickset.com
@Huw: I was curious if you could enlighten us about some nuances of the search word cloud displayed on the right hand side of the Brickset homepage.

Is the only variable font size? For instance, in the screenshot below, 'batman' appears to be boldface, but is that the case, or is it simply a larger font size?

Also, what is the reason that some words are capitalized (i.e. DINO, FRIENDS, MINIFIGURES)?

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I'd assume the capitalisation, and the - between spider and man is due to the fact that those are the popular terms put n, so for example if I got onto ghost control and inputted mInIfIgUrEs a few hundred times it would show up exactly. I could be completely off though. Is that correct @Huw?
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    It appears to be sorted aphabetically so I would imagine the font changes are indeed reflective of popularity.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Have to say, I don't think I've ever used it, it's just a part of the home page that my eyes seem to ignore.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    i know word clouds are popular, but i honestly cannot say I have ever liked or used these on any website ever. I know what I am looking for and I could care less what other people are.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    edited February 2012
    @rocao, I'll be delighted to enlighten you :-)

Every time a search term is entered it's recorded in a search history table.

The SQL stored procedure for the cloud queries this and looks at the last 24 hours' worth of searches, and returns all terms searched over 50 times in alphabetical order, together with the number of times they've been used.

The component that generates the cloud markup divides the spread of data by 7 and then outputs each term with a CSS class assigned to it which is then given the following attributes:

.cloud1 { font-size:.6em; }
    .cloud2 { font-size:.7em; }
    .cloud3 { font-size:.8em; }
    .cloud4 { font-size:1em; }
    .cloud5 { font-size:1.1em; font-weight:bolder; }
    .cloud6 { font-size:1.2em; font-weight:bolder; }
    .cloud7 { font-size:1.4em; font-weight:bolder; }

So, popular terms are indeed bolder.

As for the capitalisation, because SQLServer is case insensitive, Ninjago is equivalent to nINgago and NINJAGO when grouping the terms, and I guess the first one in the table is the one that's output in the query. I could make them all lower- or upper- case but that is probably undersirable.

While we are discussing this, only terms that match one or more set are saved in the history table to prevent someone entering fu?k or something hundreds of times hoping to get it into the list :-)

I agree that it's not that useful, although it does given you some idea of what's hot, and it's interesting to see certain sets/themes come and go in the list. One thing I don't do but probably could/should is to record the cloud dataset every time it's generated (it's cached for 6 hours or so) and then plot the popularity of terms over time, a bit like Google does.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^ Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize we were seeing 7 different sizes, but I suppose that's because the incremental change is subtle.

With the knowledge now that it's only reflecting a 24 hour period of searches, I think historical data would be interesting because then we'd really notice trends.

I agree with everyone else about its value. Most of the time I don't consciously process what is being presented there. But I do find it interesting. For instance, 'Friends' is much smaller than I would have guessed... and smaller than "mars mission"!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    To no great surprise, Ninjago and Star Wars dominate the list...

Other than City, would not be surprised if those two make up half of all Lego sales...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,261

The component that generates the cloud markup divides the spread of data by 7 and then outputs each term with a CSS class assigned to it which is then given the following attributes:

.cloud1 { font-size:.6em; }
    .cloud2 { font-size:.7em; }
    .cloud3 { font-size:.8em; }
    .cloud4 { font-size:1em; }
    .cloud5 { font-size:1.1em; font-weight:bolder; }
    .cloud6 { font-size:1.2em; font-weight:bolder; }
    .cloud7 { font-size:1.4em; font-weight:bolder; }

[snip]
    My, how the cold winter nights must fly by at Brickset towers.

;-)

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    ^ ban!
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I see Brickset goes up to Cloud 7... What would it take to find Cloud 9? ;)