Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Finally! Classic Space complete!

OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 674
edited April 14 in Collecting
Today is a landmark day in my LEGO experience: behold the last 3 Classic Space sets I needed to complete the collection: #6874 Moon Rover, #6770 Lunar Transporter Patroller, and #1558 Mobile Command Trailer, at last in my possession. As small and unassuming as these sets appear to be, they were not easy to get: two of them use the very rare trans-yellow 2x2 radar dish, one contains the highly sought-after white flexible hose, one has the expensive black minifigure with rocket jetpack, and one utilizes the same battery box that comes with a certain monorail set...there just aren't too many of these three sets around as they get parted out by the sellers more often than not. I've only "bricklinked" 5 or 6 sets ever, and two of them are in this picture. In 20 years of monitoring BL and BO, I've never seen the Moon Rover offered by a North American seller; this may have been a Europe-only set?

I'm very happy; Classic Space complete!  I don't have all the duplicate numbers for the identical set (e.g. I only have #497, I don't also have #928 ), but I have at least one of each design Lego put out there from 1978-1998, Classic Space I through Insectoids.

I guess the next step would be to display them all; it would look something like this: https://www.horseshoebendranch.net/mattslego/events/bf07flyin/index.htm. It's safe to say I don't have the room for this in my house, so I'll have to be content with setting up just a few at a time.  But if Brickworld Chicago ever starts up again, I would love to duplicate the Classic Space Fly-In at that convention...if anyone else would like to join in let's talk!

Anyway, thanks for letting me celebrate a little bit today. Feel free to share your collection victories, too...

JudgeChuck560HeliportFizyxmadforLEGOKungFuKennyoldtodd33BumblepantsPeteMbricktuarySpeedman29drdavewatfordew027Mr_CrossMaffyDGothamConstructionCoCaptain_EyebrowWesterBricksOldTownBrickspxchrisveyniacpreveredatsunrobbieBeauBricksbenbacardijason1976eggsheneMJeeNLmak0137andheNateMN2020Chris87SumoLegocoachieBengh_Zeranturboslot

Comments

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,471
    edited April 14
    Err, how can I give you more than one "like"?? ;-) That's an impressive achievement!

Wow, I would *love* to see all of those together! Please do share whatever pics you do have.

My own (limited) Classic Space collection is still missing #6861 X1 Patrol Craft and #6901 Mobile Lab (both very difficult to find in Europe), as well as a few others from around 1981 - 1982, but I've mainly been limiting myself to the very classic blue / grey / trans-yellow era.
    560HeliportKungFuKenny
  • FireFox31FireFox31 NH, USAMember Posts: 106
    Your collection sounds worthy of a museum.  I'd be lucky to complete one year of classic space.  Good work.
  • bamaker1bamaker1 North TexasMember Posts: 27
    Congrats on the accomplishment!  I bet it's a real joy to know your patience paid off.   I know I'm not alone is saying I'd love to see a few photos of your collection!
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,967
    Oldfan said:
    I've never seen the Moon Rover offered by a North American seller; this may have been a Europe-only set?
    Impressive collection. I have both of the blue sets, so perhaps they were Euro only sets. That sloped front with SNOT was awesome for 9yr old me making spaceships, but i was never a fan of the jetpack spaceman, standard tanks all the way for me
    Mr_Cross
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 3,022
    Well done @Oldfan ! That's a great achievement and I bet they look good whichever way you choose to display them. No collection victories for me - I can't even get hold of sets released just this morning!
    560Heliport
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,475
    That's a spectacularly fantastic accomplishment!! Congratulations!!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,471
    edited April 14
    Huw said:
    Huw, that's just cruel! Apologise! ;-))

TAGS:
    GROUND VEHICLE
    LAUNCHER
    UNRELEASED

"This set was photographed in The Vault at Billund. Unlike all other sets in there, this one was not complete and looked like a mock-up box. Paper records in the files there suggested that the set was actually released in 1986."

Was it released? Numbers owned suggest not. It's a shame, as it looks like a fun set. :-(
    FizyxKungFuKennyiwybspxchrisAstrobricksSumoLego
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 2,054
    Huw said:
    I believe this set was a prototype and never released for sale, correct?  Various people have made unofficial building instructions (like those in the link below).  I have most of the parts, and this post pushed me to order the remaining pieces so I can tick the "owned" box now... :-)

https://www.cubiculus.com/building-instruction/1526

https://brickset.com/article/149/1526-the-classic-space-set-that-never-was
    pxchrisandheSumoLego
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,601
    I'm impressed he owns this set, especially if he has box and instructions. 
    andheSumoLegoJackad7
    Most impressive @Oldfan!
  • EGRobertsEGRoberts OntarioMember Posts: 192
    pxchris said:

Impressive Most impressive - Darth Vader Enlistment  Meme Generator

• NateMN2020NateMN2020 MinnesotaMember Posts: 40
    Oldfan said:
    @Huw:  Yes, Huw, even #1526!  "Bricklinked"--err, "parts independently acquired before Brickowl was around"--, of course, and the only set with digital instructions instead of the original paper. Sometimes this is the best you can do, especially for an unreleased set...

@JudgeChuck: #1526 fits right in with the style of that era, more of a parts pack than anything else.  (How are you supposed to launch those two satellites from a horizontal position? Maybe it's just a transporter...)

@oldtodd33: #1968 was the single most expensive set of instructions I've ever paid for. This is another "independently acquired" set, I'm not even going to try to find a box at this point.  It's such a goofy-looking, dinky little craft, but having six of those trans-yellow hoses does drive up the cool factor a little bit.

@Spidrax : You may be missing a couple of monorail tracks in that picture, but otherwise a nice spacey collection there! You can never have too many "space wings" and radar dish parts, I say...

For everyone asking for pictures, well, this is the state of the collection today:

I don't have too many boxes for these older sets, but I do have some of the bigger ones (note the rather large examples in the top left corner...). The vast majority are in the two tubs, and those tubs are pretty heavy.

Of course, this set is on permanent display.  When the day comes to liquidate the collection, this is the last one to go, my all-time favorite Lego set.

I like how there’s a 6399 Airport Shuttle in the pic, and it’s not even the most impressive thing compared to all the awesome classic space sets! Wow!
    pxchris
    @Oldfan  I love seeing all of those boxes lined up like that. 

You just missed a nice #1968 box on Ebay that had some miscellaneous parts in it for $200.  
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 674
    oldtodd33 said:
    @Oldfan  I love seeing all of those boxes lined up like that. 

You just missed a nice #1968 box on Ebay that had some miscellaneous parts in it for $200.  
    Sigh...did you pick it up yourself?

Truth be told, I barely have room for my Lego as is, much less boxed/sealed examples for every set.  If I happen to see a box I'm missing I'll try to grab it if it's in reasonably good shape and not too outrageously priced, but I don't have "1968 box" in my alerts on ebay. Most of those boxes were acquired as part of the sets back in the 00's before Classic Space prices really got out of hand.

pxchris
    ^ No, I'm not paying $200 for the box tempted as I might be that's a little pricey even for me. 
    KungFuKennySumoLego
    Be careful with that white plastic Home Depot shelf (with black sides).  How did you deal with the sharp injection molding sprue in the center of each shelf?  I shaved mine down with a flat razor.  Before I put any boxed Lego on there, I want to try sanding it down smooth.
    On a wire metal shelf I have, I made custom wood paneled shelf liners, lacquered, then covered with ConTac paper.  I don't want my boxes getting damaged.  Hopefully the ConTac paper doesn't leach acid on to them.

Spidrax said:
    I went a different route - I BrickLinked just enough of every piece to be able to build any Classic Space or Futuron set. So in a way I have them all too
    That's pure genius!  Could you share your part list for this somehow?  Or share the method by which you efficiently created this list?  I'd love to have a parts list for each subtheme or year.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,218
    Huw said:
    Do I spy a white rangefinder in that set?  I think so.
    YellowcastleBumblepantsgmonkey76

FireFox31 said:
    Be careful with that white plastic Home Depot shelf (with black sides).  How did you deal with the sharp injection molding sprue in the center of each shelf?  I shaved mine down with a flat razor.  Before I put any boxed Lego on there, I want to try sanding it down smooth.

That's my experience as well, I razor-cut and sanded down all the sharp edges of the molding flash to be flat and smooth before putting any boxes on those shelves.  Behind me (as I took that picture) there are another 8 identical racks full of my other boxes (mostly my post-1999 sets as I kept all those boxes), and each shelf was fixed in a similar fashion before I used them.  (I should post those pics in the appropriate thread...)

SumoLego said:
    Huw said:
    Do I spy a white rangefinder in that set?  I think so.

That would be appropriately cruel of Lego, to tease a mythical grail part in a prototype set and then not release it...kind of like those old-style hinges in the pictures of #6844...
    KungFuKenny
  • SpidraxSpidrax In Space Since 1978Member Posts: 15
    FireFox31 said:
    Spidrax said:
    I went a different route - I BrickLinked just enough of every piece to be able to build any Classic Space or Futuron set. So in a way I have them all too
    That's pure genius!  Could you share your part list for this somehow?  Or share the method by which you efficiently created this list?  I'd love to have a parts list for each subtheme or year.
    I imported all the set lists into BrickStock and didn't combine lots. Then I sorted by part number, and wherever there were multiple entries for the same part, I deleted everything but the highest quantity. For most parts I then added ~10% just to be sure. Then I spent several years buying it all :)
    WesterBricksKungFuKennygmonkey76FireFox31Brickfan50
    edited April 23
    Great, thanks.  May I ask what slowed you down to require several years to buy it all?
    For @Oldfan and @Spidrax :  It seems like some old parts have modern counterparts which outwardly look the same but have slight differences, such as their internal structure.  Did either of you buy any modern parts, perhaps to overcome unavailability or avoid shockingly high prices?  I'm kind of new to this, but I'm very interested.

• Tom79Tom79 Member Posts: 38
    I can't comment on most pieces but if you want Space Police (I) sets you'll have to look out for part 4623 (1 x 2 plate with bar arm up) that you have the old ones with the long arm as with the new ones with short arm the prison cells won't fit , this I experienced when I rebuilt my old sets. And it took me a while to figure out the error wasn't mine but that there were two versions of that part...
    Bengh_ZeranAstrobricks560Heliportpxchris
    FireFox31 said:
    Great, thanks.  May I ask what slowed you down to require several years to buy it all?
    For @Oldfan and @Spidrax :  It seems like some old parts have modern counterparts which outwardly look the same but have slight differences, such as their internal structure.  Did either of you buy any modern parts, perhaps to overcome unavailability or avoid shockingly high prices?  I'm kind of new to this, but I'm very interested.

As a set collector, I try very hard to use only those part designs that are contemporary to the year of release. The plates with rings and clips are the best examples (4081 and 4085, respectively): only the original "thin" ("a") versions were available for older sets like #497 and #6870, so I make sure that those are the parts used in those sets.  And the minifigures are not the re-releases with the new-design helmets and torsos, although "thin" and "thick" helmet chinstraps might be interchanged among the very oldest sets (but all the heads are "solid stud"). Buying used sets years after their release, I can't guarantee that I have 100% correct contemporary parts in every set, but I can at least make sure that the obvious ones like these are correct. My advice would be to pay close attention to the part numbers in the inventories when you're looking for the parts, and only use the older, original ID's for your purchases.

And yes, sometimes this gets expensive.  Some of you might agree that the LEGO hobby is expensive at times!
    KungFuKenny560Heliportpxchris
    Oldfan said:

As a set collector, I try very hard to use only those part designs that are contemporary to the year of release.
    I'm the same way with most of my vintage sets... even down to the point of trying to get the right molds for standard bricks and plate. It's a certain level of insanity I'm sure.
  • SpidraxSpidrax In Space Since 1978Member Posts: 15
    FireFox31 said:

It took several years because buying 6,800+ pieces over 900+ lots on BrickLink is an absolute nightmare. I used BrickStock to manage wanted lists and to keep track of what I ordered, but staying accurate was difficult, so I had to do a lot of re-counting. I didn't track how many orders I had to place, but it was a lot. I also had to deal with yellowed parts - either trying to whiten them or replacing them if they were too far gone. And when I got down to the last 50 parts or so, I was dealing with rare and expensive parts, so I took my time and tried to get good deals. In the end I was placing a lot of 1-part orders.

I went for modern counterparts if the new part was stronger (like clips with thick fingers) or easier to use (like tiles with the bottom groove). For some parts I didn't care what I got (like cones, open vs blocked stud). 

My biggest problem is with parts still being produced. I have quite a few new parts mixed in to the collection, and they tend to stand out when I'm building models. White and blue especially. But there's no indicator of a part's age on BrickLink, so it is what it is...
    Brickfan50