Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Sets that are due for a redesign and rerelease

LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
edited February 2012 in Collecting
This can be any sets, any theme...

What sets do you think really could use a redesign and rerelease using the more modern build designs and techniques Lego uses today?

In the Star Wars theme:

8018 - AAT - This one really shows its age, what with BLUE on the thing, where is our sand colored version?

7657 - AT-ST - This one is too small, the UCS one is too big, we need a 500 part count version that is playable!

6206 - TIE Intercepter - Ok, we got a redesigned TIE Fighter that is REALLY good... Where is this redesign?

6207 - A-Wing - Time for a new one of these as well, to match the current X-Wing!

6211 - Imperial Star Destroyer - We need one with a carry handle, that is more swooshable, modern design

6210 - Jabba's Sail Barge - Really, do I even need to say it? :)

What else needs a good redesign?

Comments

• AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    TIE Bomber needs a redesign as well. What were they thinking with all that blue? Did they run out of grey plates?
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I doubt they would do it, but I think the Statue of Liberty set could be done considerably better than the original.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    @legofantexas you named my entire list I would add a small imperial shuttle and landing craft to your suggestions.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I'd like to see the explorers Egyptian theme rehashed.
    What do you mean they've already done it?
    No, no, properly this time!
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    I'd say given the Jabba stuff that is already coming, the Sail Barge in on its way. Maybe it will be the surprise Fall release?
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Jabba's Sail Barge might be a very good call for coming soon. It's just about the only set they can re-use the new Jabba mold. This will hit the secondary market of the original, no question.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ They could always do another MF set in Mos Eisley since they added the Jabba scene in the redo of the OT. Could be a cool "scene" set if they built some of the hanger bay. Not that another MF is needed but in 10 years I could see them doing another.
    ^ I suggested this the other day 'Jabba's warning!'.
  • skherbeckskherbeck Member Posts: 33
    Fort Legoredo!!! (And for that matter, the entire Western Theme... see Cuusoo and vote!)
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^i second that on "Western Themes"!!!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I have to completely disagree of Jabba's Sail Barge NEEDING a redesign. A larger scale barge would be nice, but from a design standpoint, the original didn't have any particularly glaring flaws.

That said, I'll glady pick up a redesign when one comes out. Same goes for the Sandcrawler, which I feel was similarly excellent in its original form.
  • vader34mtvader34mt Member Posts: 88
    ^jabba's sail barge doesn't need a redesign...youre right

but if not a redesign, they should just re-release the old set so i can get it :-P

the original came out during my dark ages and it's so beautiful! but i cant bring myself to shell out 150-200 bucks for it!

time for a new one
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I wouldn't mind these: http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=Vikings
    Id love to see them too .. but what could they improve?

• kuwaharakuwahara Member Posts: 234
    I have to agree with comments above regarding the sail barge, I was looking at my sail barge the other day and it really is fantastic. Personally it is my favourite Lego Star Wars set.

Amazing to think the retail price was just £60 in UK, wonder what it would be now...
    What does anybody think about Jango Fett's Slave 1? Any chance of a re-release?
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    the set itself certainly needs refreshing, but Slave 1 is Slave 1, the only difference is who you have as pilot. And the last Slave 1 is pretty recent. maybe on the next go around they swap boba out and jango in? I doubt it though, Boba Fett is quite possibly the most popular SW character out there.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    What does anybody think about Jango Fett's Slave 1? Any chance of a re-release?
    Why? The previous Slave 1 only went OOP a few weeks ago. You can still buy them at or below RRP.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I think it would be cool to see young Boba and Jango recreated but I don't think it would be good in a Slave 1 remaked. How about them in the arena?
    @starfire2,

I agree, I think we will get these figures again. Whether it's another Slave 1, I don't know though.

rich
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    Those that do not have this will want it... those that do will not want it re-released because it would depreciate insanely inflated prices....

Modular Market Street ... with interior
    Modular Cafe Corner ... with interior
    Any set that has Tusken Raiders in it.
    Mos Esley Cantina
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I second both of those.
    X-wing.

ok that was a joke. Something based around Cloud City is long overdue now.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Fort Legoredo!!!
    Yep, that's what I was going to mention as well.
    I doubt they would do it, but I think the Statue of Liberty set could be done considerably better than the original.
    How about a mini one? :)
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=40026-1

They should make this just the pedestal for the CMF S6 fig.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Good old 1592-1 would be nice to see reinterpreted for today ;-)
  • scratchdeskscratchdesk Member Posts: 155
    Mos Eisley Cantina would be near the top of my list.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    Town Plan? Not likely I know...
    No prizes for guessing I'd really like some HP redesigns, but that's even less likely than the town plan.
    Didn't we already have a whole thread on this, where TLG asked the same question?
    http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/18700

@Bluemoose, @DrDaveWatford, any updates on this initiative?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    ^ I'd say this is the update
    http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=2564
    Having seen LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace about 50x with my son, I can't help but think that Mos Eisley Cantina will be remade, as was Jabba's Palace in the short film.
    edited February 2012
    ^^ Yeah, true that. Nice.
    Let's not turn this into a "I want a rerelease of ...." thread -we've kind of done those to death, haven't we?

the post was about what sets or themes need a refresh based upon newer building styles and/or elements.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    the post was about what sets or themes need a refresh based upon newer building styles and/or elements.
    That is true, but I try not to tell other people how they should post, it is always interesting to see what people want.

That being said, you are correct, I was more thinking about what *needed* a redesign, rather than what we all wanted to buy because we missed it.

A good example of what I mean is the original B-Wing:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7180-1

The updated B-Wing:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6208-1

The original really needed updating, the newer set is a vast improvement in my personal opinion. I can see, however, how it could be further improved after seeing the new X-Wing that was just released. It could use another revision along with the A-Wing.
    right. I just don't want to see this thread (which is a good one) devolve into yet another version of "to re-release or not to re-release: investors vs. late comers".

the b-wing is a great example. I'm sure HP fans would call for some of the early sets to be revamped, but that doesn't look likely at this point. All the other licenses old enough to need a revamp aren't current either, so our options are either past SW sets like you focused on, or perhaps past themes that we would like to see brought back (though to me this is a somewhat different discussion).

I'd like to see an A-Wing, as I really like the ship in general, and the previous one could stand to be made into a slightly bigger and more detailed version. I'd also personally like to see a better snowspeeder (last one was 4500) as a standalone, rather than a somewhat smallish version as part of a bigger set (like the recent 8089)
    Mos Eisley is a no brainer... the building looks like crap, the figure selection is poor, and the Dewback could use the upgrade that all the LEGO animals are receiving, including Jabba.

I still think the early Modular Building without interiors fall in the same line (NOTE: I own both so I didn't miss out).
    I still think the early Modular Building without interiors fall in the same line (NOTE: I own both so I didn't miss out).
    I don't own either of the first two (or MS either, but I'm not counting that), so I did miss out, but I still don't want to seem them redone. I also do not agree that they fall in the same line - the techniques are still topnotch (though they could be improved slightly mostly by using newer pieces not available then). Adding interiors doesn't really seem like the same kind of redesign we are talking about. Anyway, it's moot as I think we could all agree it's highly highly unlikely.

I don't even want a re-imagining of that silly little Mos Eisley set. How about a full-on D2C set in the vein of the Death Star (though perhaps a bit smaller/cheaper), one that recreates the Cantina it all it's glory. It would be an orgy of unique minifigs too.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    edited February 2012
    They haven't touched Forestmen-type stuff since what, the mid-90s? I have very little hope for a relaunch of that theme though considering LEGO makes more money vomiting out licensed sets these days.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    It would be an orgy of unique minifigs too.
    That is not a bad idea, if minifigs sell sets, imagine a set with 36 unique minifigs in it?

Lego could make it with 2,500 parts and probably sell it for $399. :(
    ^ And then we could in turn sell those minifigs for $360 and have 2400 parts for $40.
  • Blue1dotBlue1dot Member Posts: 78
    I too vote for Mos Eisley Cantina, but I also like dougts's idea of a full D2C set like DS, that would be wild!
    also Forest men, and I would love a new monorail.
    edited February 2012
    ^^ Exactly! (salivating...)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,007
    I would like an MMVesque reimagining of the Imperial Trading Post if not the entire Pirate line.
    Sorry, but what does D2C mean?
    ^ Thanks. What does direct to consumer mean... is that a special Lego distribution? I was Googling "Lego D2C" thinking that was a planet or ship related to Mos Eisley.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,007
    ^ Sets that you can only buy directly from LEGO i.e. Shuttle Adventure or Pirates of Caribbean battlepack. This has changed a bit recently as Walmart, Target and TRU now get access to sell many but not all of these over their own websites.