Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How Retailers Stock Friends Sets

YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,021
edited February 2012 in Collecting
At first, I thought it was just a Target thing but have since noticed it at Walmart too. Now that I think about it, I haven't even seen the sets at TRU so I assume they are also lock in step. So the question is, "Why are Friends sets not being stocked in the LEGO aisle?" And seeing how this is not an isolated event, "Is TLG just recommending this or is it mandated?"

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    My understanding is that TLG worked out a deal to have Friends put in the girl's isle, shelf space for toys and most things in big box stores is negotiated or sold, so while Walmart is indeed paying the same 70% of RRP for Lego as "everyone else", TLG is paying them right back for "shelf placement", which is how they sell for less, without selling for less.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,021
    edited February 2012
    ^ Assuming you're spot on, I wonder about the rationale. Duplo is not in the Baby aisles. Perhaps TLG is being cautious about alienating any boys as Nabii mentioned? Or is this just a way to get the most visibility to the target audience?
    ^ My understanding is just that, Friends is targeted to the 90% of girls who "don't" play with Lego.

The girls who already play with Lego, will find these just fine, the kicker is that most of the other 90% never walk down the Lego isle, the point is to get both the girls and the parents to "find" these next to the dolls (Barbie, Poly Pocket, etc.).

They are called "mini-dolls" after all, not mini-figs. :)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    ^Agreed. If you have no interest in LEGO you will not walk into the LEGO isle.
    ^Agreed. If you have no interest in LEGO you will not walk into the LEGO isle.
    No, you won't... but every girl in the world... (ok, most of them) ... walk down the doll isle... You should see my 3 year old's doll collection, you'd think she was opening a doll store! :) She dresses them, makes up stories for them, has tea with them, everything...
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    Yep, it's part of the agreement for the Friends sets to be put with the girls' toys. The primary reason was to establish visibility with the target audience. I'm not sure once it achieves sufficient mind share if it will start being shelved with the rest of the LEGO, or if TLG will take a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach and leave it where it is since the line is proving to be quite popular.

BTW, at Target (not sure about other stores), some DUPLO is being placed with other toddler toys away from the LEGO aisle.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 802
    ^Yes. I have seen Duplo with the toddler toys at my local Targets as well.
    As for the Friends, it makes sense to place them in the doll aisle because that is where the target audience will happen upon the Friends by chance.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    Placement of Friends with the dolls is the same in my nearest Tesco Extra supermarket in the UK too.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    They're in the LEGO aisle at TRU, complete with display. I guess because they've been out in the main aisle right by there for a month people are supposed to know where to look.

It's not standard but I have seen little signs in the LEGO aisle at Walmart explaining where the Friends are.

However I met someone in TRU this week who was shopping for Friends there because she was unable to find them in Target, even with the help of an employee.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Two local Walmarts.

#1: Friends are in their own section in the "girl aisle ".

#2: Friends are on the end section and end-cap of the main LEGO aisle so they catch your eye. You can't get to the "girl aisles" without walking right past them.
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 272
    My TRU has Friends sets in both the LEGO section (at the end near the main aisle) and on a special display shelf which sits in the middle of the main aisle between the sporting goods aisles and back of the girls section, somewhat near small dolls like Lalaloopsy, LPS, and Polly Pocket.