Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Likelihood of a second DC Superheroes Wave in 2012?

Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 961
edited February 2012 in Collecting
Just wondering what peoples' thoughts on the above are. There seems to have been little or no noise on a potential second wave of DC Superheroes sets, with the focus turning to The Avengers line in the summer. I would have thought that the July release of The Dark Knight Rises might pave the way for some movie tie-in Batman sets (I'm dreaming of a Tumbler remake).

Would we have seen images by now, along with the other summer 2012 sets, if this was the case? Or is there still potential for new releases later in the year?

Moved to Collecting by YC: 2-16-12

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I'm still hoping for a Green Lantern set too!
    The DC licence is multi-year though, isn't it, so more sets should be coming next year, though that kind of misses the boat with the Dark Knight Rises in the summer.
    Perhaps there will be a 10xxx Superheroes set in the summer (Tumbler?) which we wouldn't necessarily hear about until closer til release.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    Hopefully this theme will be long running!

But people should enjoy the sets that have just been released instead of looking to what may or may not happen?? There is sooooo much happening in Lego right now!
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,407
    I wouldn't be surprised if something pops up, but as the line is called SuperHeroes i think the upcoming Marvel sets are the 2nd wave of the theme.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    I'm thinking another wave will come in Dec.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I really hope so, I want the Penguin, Killer Croc, Scarecrow, Green Lantern minifigs without paying ridiculous prices. (along with a black & white Two-Face)
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Calling the line "Super Heros" is smart on Lego's part, it lets them keep it steady and around longer for multiple movies and themes...
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Many, many more waves and video games are due for this series...stay tuned!
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    I have a feeling they'll be a very large set before Xmas. Not sure...maybe a large Xavier Xmen Mansion playset.
    I'm really hoping for a large Galactus with chrome Silver Surfer (and board) mini-fig.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    I need my Green Lantern fix!!!!
    I was hoping for some sort of set involving The Green Lantern Corps but was disappointed in the first wave being primarily Batman and his villains (DC has such a large plethora of amazing characters and settings I was disappointed in not seeing more of the Justice League used).
    Maybe a Green Lantern construct Battle set, or Planet OA at some point, along with the Daily Planet and the Justice League Satellite or Watch Tower (or maybe Hall of Justice)!!
    Do I think we'll get more this year? Maybe.
    Do I think there is much more on the way?
    Absolutely!!!
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 258
    If they are making sets that tie into the "The Avengers" movie, surely they would do sets for "The Dark Knight Rises."
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    ^Not necessarily. The Dark Knight was a really dark film and wouldn't have lent itself well to LEGO at all... though I'd love to see them replicate the pencil scene (really the only part of the movie I thought they got right) in LEGO form.
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 258
    edited February 2012
    ^Not necessarily. The Dark Knight was a really dark film and wouldn't have lent itself well to LEGO at all...
    The Dark Knight Rises is the new film that releases in July.

All of the Christopher Nolan Batman Movies have been dark. Yet, the Lego Batman series had many sets based on Batman Begins.

Edit: Heck, Batman is a very dark character in general.
    The Dark Knight Rises is the new film that releases in July.
    I'm aware. But I haven't seen it yet, so I can't speak to its 'darkness.' The inclusion of Catwoman actually makes me feel it's leaning towards Batman's much campier roots, so maybe it would be perfect for LEGO.

And Batman's 'darkness' is a more recent invention. For a looooooooong time, Batman was an intrinsically ridiculous superhero much in the same vein as the now classic Adam West portrayal of the character.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    ^From what I remember the early original Batman's were dark and very noir...dark and scary. Then the Comics Code in the 50's made him fight sci-fi -esque villains and some goofy characters came in...the 60's show was the camp. They mimiced that in the comics but then the late 60's had him return to detective work. Dark and more brooding...on and on till today.
    The camp of the tv show is what's in most peoples mind with Batman but the comics have him as the brooding dark hero for a long time.
    A good example other than the comics is the Bruce Timm stuff from the cartoons of the 90's. Excellent and had darker storylines.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Excellent posts everyone :)
  • duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    Surely Lego have to do The Green Lantern and the The Flash. It may not be this year, I think that the Superhero sets are done for 2012 (with perhaps the exception of a UCS set) but I'd be surprised if this theme doesn't run for a least a few years. With more and more Superhero movies coming out in recent years, this theme has the potential to be a stayer, much like Star Wars.
  • canuhandle23canuhandle23 Member Posts: 104
    Dc sets will be 2013. Now some product might slip out last week of December etc.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    If they release a Flash minifig... will they give you three or four so we can make it look like he is running really fast?
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    If they release a Flash minifig... will they give you three or four so we can make it look like he is running really fast?
    Best post of the day!
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    I would think we will see more this year for sure. They have an enormous range to choose from with this licence.
    From what I have been told all the superheroes range has been selling very well, why would they not cash in.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    Reminds me of the halloween party episode of The Big Bang Theory.

• Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    @graphite - that's where I got it from. :-)
  • DStonebrakerDStonebraker Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2012
    It seems likely we will see an appearance of Green Lantern in a set since I see his minifig was a giveaway at comic-con. I'd like to see both Hard Travelling Heroes with the pairing of Green Arrow, along with (here's me hoping), Black Canary. I hate to just offer my kids a Forestman minifig as a substitute.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    The lines will probably heavily depend on what movie tie-ins or animation tie-ins are available. But having said that, the shelves for the Batman sets are almost always sparse when I go to any store that carries them, so they are either very popular or LEGO is going a very poor job in distribution. I suspect the former, and so they might feel confident expanding next year even without a particular tie-in.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    The Catwoman set is currently out of stock on amazon UK. It seems to have sold quite quick when reduced to 10GBP.
    If you believe what is written on brickipedia there will be a third wave of superhero sets released around August, also I see a Lego superheroes cartoon is being (has been) made to be shown on Cartoon network, this might also tie in with the DC Lego Batman 2 game, which does have Green Lantern listed as a character in it but i am not sure when it will hit the shelves.
  • typocorrectotypocorrecto Member Posts: 196
    There will be a second wave and it will have some Dark Knight Rises sets. The movie comes out June/July...
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    I wonder with the new Lego Batman 2 game having about 50 playable characters, how many of those we will get to buy as minifigures in future sets. The popularity of game should make an easy sell for future sets.

http://m.mtv.com/blogs/multiplayerblogdetail.rbml?id=http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2012/03/16/lego-batman-2-dc-superheroes-preview/&alt=http://m.mtv.com/blogs/multiplayerbloglist.rbml&cid=300
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    how about his mansion with the batcave underneath.....that would be an immense ucs set.
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    edited March 2012
    how about his mansion with the batcave underneath.....that would be an immense ucs set.
    Great idea. :)
  • TheCoryJihadTheCoryJihad Member Posts: 26
    I noticed on the Lego Superheroes microsite that they've got two headers, one for Avengers(which we've seen all of the sets) and one for X-Men(having seen one set). Being a gigantic X-Men fan, I can only hope the next wave ties in a lot more of those sets.

Please? I'd love to see a Lego Gambit and Nightcrawler. It could be based on Gollum, but blue and with a tail.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    ^^^^ Whoa! How did I miss that bit of news? Excellent! That does, perhaps, imply more DC characters and perhaps more Batman villians are yet to come. Great news.

^ X-Men are good news too, but I was around for that summertime mutant storyarc of love triangle with time travel thing back in the early 90's, and that was really bad. I have had a hard time with Marvel mutants ever since, even though I know I should give a pass by now. Most of the movies around the material have been decent.
    My guess is that aside from the odd set that has 'iconic' figs in it the X-Men stuff will center around the first class film and its sequel, which is all confirmed now and i think will be filming late this year/early next. My guess is the next wave of sets will see more spider man stuff as there is a film out in a few months and so far only one set is known about and something for the dark knight film. Overall I think there will be many more waves as there are many more films coming but most sets will be film centric with maybe only one or two sets being more general (I know none of the DC stuff was film centric but a lot of that was just updated sets to kick the range off).
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    My son keeps asking me to find out what's coming up in the Marvel universe, and especially if LEGO will bring out the Juggernaut mini figure. But I agree with @monkey_roo as there are some movies planned for the Avengers, upcoming Spiderman, Dark Knight Rises (last one I think) and Xmen movies. So we will be busy seeing lots of Super Heroes stuff till late 2013 even.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/7004583725/

FBTB posted about this Lex Luthor fig giveaway with pre-orders of the DC computer game. Looks like he's wasting the same armour mould as the series 7 space marine. Could see a Juggernaut figure with that same mould.

I'd imagine once Avengers and Dark Knight movies are out of the way we might see more sets in time for Christmas 2012.
  • soundczarsoundczar Member Posts: 21
    A Hall of Justice set with Supes, Bats, Robin, WW and Aquaman would be great! Throw in the Invisible Jet and the Batrocket as well and I would be in Heaven. A 1960's or early 1980's style Batmobile would be welcome, as would the JLA satellite. The Flash with his Cosmic Treadmill could be fun. If we are going old school, Green Arrow with his Arrow jet would work as well.
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 141
    edited May 2012
    I'm wondering whether it's worth purchasing minifigs from the old Batman series (like Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Nightwing) or whether I should wait to see if Lego makes new versions of them. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I recently purchased the old "Two-Face" because I preferred the old black-and-white over the new orange-and-purple design. I'm also planning on finding an old sand-green Doc Ock, as I've heard the new one will be in new colors.

Given the popularity of the current wave(s) I find it hard to believe they won't update some of the older sets, figures etc and release more stuff, maybe for Christmas, maybe for Jan next year. That said anything they release will be different from the older sets, so it might be a case of preference for some sets and guessing what may or may not come down the line for the new ones. I guess if you like the old stuff go for it (if you can afford it :) ).
  • DeadareusDeadareus Member Posts: 264
    I really hope they do come out with more sets.. be it Marvel or DC or both sometime prior to Christmas.

My son and I are both enjoying the super heroes line immensely.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    I would like to think we're going to get the rest of the major DC heroes at some point -- certainly Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman. Maybe also Green Arrow, Black Canary, and J'onn J'onzz. The challenge will be what buildings/sets work with them. Ideas include:
    Ferris Aircraft (with Green Lantern and Sinestro)
    Arrow-cycle or Arrow-mobile (with Green Arrow and Black Canary)
    Flash Museum? or a Rogues hideout (with Flash and some enemies)
    Hall of Justice or the Satellite or the Watchtower (with whoever doesn't fit in with everything else)
  • IronManIronMan Member Posts: 20
    Well LEGO seems to make the distinction between DC and Marvel on their website and most other places I have seen, so I am guessing that we are most likely going to be getting more Marvel if anything. Marvel is taking the initiative in the movie industry and producing ALOT of stuff in these next couple of years, including Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Deadpool (which I can not see LEGO doing to much off since it will most likely be rated R), as well as some X-Men stuff and I have heard rumors of a 2015 Hulk movie.

Then again Marvel has the license based off of the comics not movies so who knows. It is known, however, that LEGO can only make Spiderman sets based off of the new cartoon series and not the movie, which hopefully will open up the possibility of more characters!
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    ^ all 5 of the X-Men movies have been PG-13. I doubt they'd deviate from that seeing that under 17 year olds are the prime market for both the movie and all the merchandising.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,011
    Marvel characters are much better known to the general population than DC, thanks to the movies. Apart from your avid comic readers, who knows the expanded DC universe beyond the obvious Superman, Batman and Green Lantern? Everyone knows Marvel - Spidey, X-Men, Daredevil, Avengers etc, and thanks to the movies, all the kids want them, which is what matters to Lego when they're making these sets. Batman seems by far Lego's best moneyspinner with DC, due to the videogames and nothing else. Avengers sets are so hard to come by right now, that speaks volumes to me about how well the movie tie-ins are doing.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    The only other DC sets I would expect this summer would be ones tied to the release of the Dark Kight Rises. So probably a Bane-related set and maybe a new Tumbler (please, oh please). Also that wicked hover-jet looking thing in the previews, although the Batwing may already fill that role.

I expect the next Marvel stuff to be Spidey-related to capitalize on the release of the movie this summer. I know they don't have the license for the movie, but it would give them the best exposure.
  • IronManIronMan Member Posts: 20
    @graphite I know I was surprised to read it to, but Deadpool is one of their "riskier" characters and for some reason there seems to be an issue with gore so I am not sure how exactly the ratings will end up. I am hoping it will stay PG-13 considering I am not to crazy about seeing a lot of blood and gore!

@iccarus I definitely agree that some Dark Knight Rises sets would be awesome! I am just not banking on anything considering there has been absolutely nothing leaked at all. Doesn't mean we can't still hope! That hover-jet would be incredible!
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    That Spiderman cartoon series where he's in the future with hover-cadillacs was pretty good. Anyone made a "Hall of Justice" or "Legion of Doom" swamp base out of lego yet?
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 272
    Good point Moneyhanger. I've always thought that DC had the best known superheroes in Superman and Batman, but the Marvel universe has a much better overall selection of characters including the X-Men, which I look forward to seeing more of.

Lego will not be making Spider-Man sets based on the movie, that other toy brick maker will. Apparently Lego just has a license for Spider-Man sets based on the comics, and MB has a different license for the movie. I wonder if future X-Men sets will be based on the comics or movies. The one set so far looks more like the former, which I would prefer.

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,316
    edited May 2012
    It has come to my attention that following the release of this brand new cowl piece, surely there must be Batman sets related to Chris Nolan's film trilogy in the pipeline for release, especially given the release of the latest in the series, the Dark Knight Rises, this Summer. But I would like to know what you would like to see in sets related to Batman Begins, the Dark Knight and the Dark Knight Rises. What scenes and Minifigures would you like to see, and do you think it is a realistic possibility we will see them released?
    Honestly, I cannot think of a single scene in either of the first two films that would translate into an even moderately interesting LEGO set. I'd prefer they just not go down that path at all.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    How about the scene where the Joker kills all of his own henchmen in a bank robbery. Um, maybe not. Or the one where Batman almost kills the Joker in the interrogation room. Um, maybe not. Or the one where they give people Scarecrow gas to realize their worst fears. Um, maybe not. Or the one where Bruce Wayne has to pick a wild flower and climb to the top of the mountain. Um, maybe not.