Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Target Market for Sellers of Discontinued Sets

littleguylittleguy Member Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
I know that a lot of collectors purchase discontinued Lego sets on eBay for two, three, or four times retail. I've also had buyers purchasing these sets for their children. Recently, I had a buyer from Italy purchase some of my sets for two times retail with the intent of reselling.

As sellers, I know that target market is very important, as it determines the sustainability of secondary market prices, and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on what types of buyer are generally behind these purchases. Thanks for your input and ideas.

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    AFOLs getting back in the game would be a main segment.

I fit that bill and have made purchases from EBay for almost double the RRP on certain sets. In fact I just bought a SW battle pack for 4x RRP since they were the best version of the clone troopers made and no MISB found for cheaper.

When they invade your dreams, what else can you do but heed the call :)
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    I agree with BrickDancer; there may be some speculators, but the majority of buyers are going to be AFOLs getting back into LEGO and buying the sets they have missed, or always wanted in their childhood. I have also bought all of the sets on eBay out of my dark-ages. Until I discovered BrickLink, and never turned back...(c;
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    Depends on the theme. I expect there will be some activity with discontinued Harry Potter and Cars LEGO around Christmas. Kids grow up, see those movies for the first time and fall in love with the story, parents want to give them LEGO in the theme as a gift.

Those new Disney Princess Duplo are going to be absolute gold if LEGO ever discontinues the theme. 3-5 year old girls go bonkers over princess and their Daddies will buy them anything (ask me how I know).