Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bizarrely specific Minifigure Pet Peeves

Expecting_RainExpecting_Rain UKMember Posts: 4
For a bit of light hearted catharsis.

Mine is that I dislike figures wearing backpacks or neck-gear.  It makes them too tall!  

Other suggestions are, of course, very welcome

560HeliportMextenBumblepantsmic27catwranglerAllBrick

Comments

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 712
    I dislike figures with tails or other accessories that fit between the legs and the torso. They're always liable to fall apart far more easily than without them. Minnie Mouse from the CMFs, particularly—if she's wearing her skirt, her torso will just not stay on!
    andhe560HeliportExpecting_RainAllBrick
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,366
    What annoys me is when people say minifigure hands have to religiously be a certain way round - it depends what pose you want your minifigure and their tools to be in so there’s occasions for having the hands either way, that’s what makes them so versatile.
    Expecting_Rain560HeliportCymbelinemic27MinifigInSpacecatwranglerAllBricksklamb
  • Expecting_RainExpecting_Rain UKMember Posts: 4
    edited February 2021
    Great additions all, especially the old dress pieces. Useless. 

And Moustaches! While they don’t add to the height, they swivel too easily and are almost never alighted! Humbug...

I also miss the days where the figures had hair pruning on the heads, rather than use a separate hairpiece. This is maybe nostalgia talking more than anything, but the heads look a bit bald on their own. 
    CymbelinecatwranglerAllBrick
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,631
    My youngest daughter absolutely can not stand to have the old indian minifigures with the feathers stuck in their hair. Don't know why but she says they just don't look good. 
    AllBrick
  • MextenMexten MexicoMember Posts: 73
    I dislike it when an elaborate torsoprint is covered by some plain armor
    560HeliportFizyxarathemisMinifigInSpacecatwranglerAllBrick
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,241
    Torsos that seem to crack is you so much as look at them.  I know this is mostly connected the brittle color issues of the early 2010s, but still super obnoxious feeling like I have to be exceptionally delicate/not move arms/not leave certain minfigs put together for fear of damaging them.

Also, the fact that you can't leave trans pieces in place for minifigs like Iron Man without cracking the bottoms of the legs is annoying for displaying those sets.
    MinifigInSpaceTheBigLegoskicatwranglerAllBrickgmonkey76
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 160
    I'm always peeved by the arms on the shorter minifigures.  The regular arms look disproportionately long when used with the shorter legs.    
    AllBrick
  • arathemisarathemis RomaniaMember Posts: 467
    Sometimes the hands are just too narrow/tight leaving marks on soft accessories (like whip, or row paddles) every time they hold one for more than 1 hour 
    TheBigLegoskiAllBrick
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,363
    edited February 2021
    Not printing all the way to the edges.

Especially when it leads to a gap in printing. 
    Lego

Fake

It is saddening when fakes have better print quality than lego.

560HeliportTheBigLegoskicatwranglerAllBrickgmonkey76sklamb
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,228
    That fake looks like a render to me.
    560HeliportFizyxCasper_vd_KorfiwybsSumoLegoAyliffeMinifigInSpaceTheBigLegoskiAllBrick
    Yes, but when they come the print matches. I don't have that one but a couple of figs lego doesn't do and the print is continuous.
    AllBrick
    I posted this back in 2017 in the Chinese fakes thread, showing continuity of print.

The centering is just as bad as lego's but at least they don't leave a big gap.
    AllBrick
    All excellent quibbles.  

I also don't like the newer headpieces that attempt to replicate horns or similar, e.g on Darth Maul and Black Panther.  They just look odd?  Am I so out of touch?

It is odd that fakes can produce better alignment in printing.  Is there a reason for this?  

AllBrick
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,552
    I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I cannot love the style of minifig faces from when they started increasing the detail, after years of just the classic smile, until relatively recent years.

Especially weird  *to my eyes* are ones like the 1999 - 2000-era Star Wars and other themes.

A couple of random examples to show what I mean:

https://brickset.com/minifigs/arc001/arctic-red-white-helmet
    https://brickset.com/minifigs/soc007/plain-red-torso-with-red-arms-black-legs-black-cap
    https://brickset.com/minifigs/sw0026/princess-leia

Scrolling through examples of those years, there are many that look fine, but numerous others that just "don't look right"!

I am 100% sure this is simply because I have had little to no exposure to any Lego from that era, having disappeared into Dark Ages sometime around 1985 and only re-emerging around 2015. That's a 30 year gap! ;-)
    FizyxpxchrisKungFuKennyTheBigLegoskicatwranglerAllBrick
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,973
    Your second example is actually using the style print introduced with the Pirates in 1989. That specific head with the black printing didn't actually appear until 1992, but the style was first around in the 89 wave in brown for the Imperial lieutenant and is basically the same pattern as Captain Red Beard without the eye patch.

Still a style that emerged in your dark ages regardless. I for one am a fan of these late 80s-early 90s styles that are just the classic smiley face with some added on printing. But I absolutely agree that they got into some odd detailing there for a while around the late 90s.
    FizyxJudgeChuckandheKungFuKennyAllBrick
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,241
    100% agree about some of the faces, especially the ones around the late 90's/early 2000's.  I know a lot of people love Rock Raiders as a theme, but honestly there's a couple of minifig faces in there that just put me off the theme entirely, like these two:

And Rock Raiders was definitely not the only theme to suffer from this...  I feel like this was probably an inevitable result of the journey from the original smiley face to the generally great detailing we have today, but man was it rough.

pxchrisMinifigInSpaceandheKungFuKennyAllBrick
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,552
    To reply to @pxchris: Yes, you're absolutely right. The classic smiley with additional printing is probably not exactly the type I mean, but they do still look a little "odd" to me.
    The examples the @Fizyx provided are exactly the type that look *really* odd to me, especially that first one!
    Your point about transition is exactly right. Evolution of the classic smiley has brought us to where we are now.
    FizyxpxchrisAllBrick
  • MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 134
    In recent years, I've come to dislike LEGO's printing quality on torso and legs with lighter colors (especially white).

My biggest disappointment is the Spaceman from Creator's Space Rover Explorer: https://brickset.com/sets/31107-1/Space-Rover-Explorer 

But as much as I dislike the quality, I already own five of the minifigures so far (LOL). It isn't a deal breaker, just a minor preference  ;)
    FizyxAllBrick
    The really bad ones are where they use different base colours. So for example

Torso and hips are white, the legs tan, and the white printed on the tan legs is way off the torso and hips white.
    MinifigInSpaceFizyxCymbelineTheBigLegoskiJudgeChuckcatwranglerAllBrickgmonkey76
  • MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 134
    CCC said:
    The really bad ones are where they use different base colours. So for example

Torso and hips are white, the legs tan, and the white printed on the tan legs is way off the torso and hips white.
    Yes, exactly.
    AllBrick
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 555
    I'm not a big fan of lines on minifigure's faces in an attempt to make the face look thin or an actor's highlight cheekbones.  I think these look terrible.  Some examples are:

Aquaman, Shazam and dozens of Stormtroopers and other Star Wars Imperial figures.

KungFuKennypxchrisBumblepantscanon03AllBrick
  • jason1976jason1976 LondonMember Posts: 284
    Mine is an old fashioned gripe - the varying clutch power of some heads and headgear - either a helmet that is wedged on and almost impossible to get off, or a cap that has so little clutch that it falls off when a speck of dust lands on the figure.

This was a big problem for me in the 80s with classic space and castle, but still happens now, a fairly recent set I brought (possibly the river house boat) had a hair piece that fell off whenever I picked up that minifigure.

Agree with what everyone else has said about the print quality, and the weird head pieces of the 90s / early 00s - will add the Basketball players to the list of weird ones - https://brickset.com/minifigs/tag-Basketball
    andheBobflippxchrisFizyxMr_CrossiwybsMinifigInSpaceAllBrick
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,331
    Rock Raiders not your cup of tea?  How can you not love the mugshot of these space hooligans that look like they came straight out of a hardcore English "Midlands" soccer audience... :-O

AyliffeAllBrick
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2021
    Those long legs just look wrong! (I love Rock Raiders, though.)
    MinifigInSpaceAllBrick
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 555
    edited February 2021
    jason1976 said:
    Agree with what everyone else has said about the print quality, and the weird head pieces of the 90s / early 00s - will add the Basketball players to the list of weird ones - https://brickset.com/minifigs/tag-Basketball
    I thought about those after I finished posting.  Terrible, just terrible.
    The first around of Harry Potter faces are also garage.  About half of the 2001-2007 face prints are horrifying.  Hermione is a particularly egregious example.  Both the eyes and the mouth are wrong.  Thankfully they fixed the all of these for the 2010 and later releases.

Fizyxjason1976AllBrick
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,524
    Mexten said:
    I dislike it when an elaborate torsoprint is covered by some plain armor

Or a banana suit or rocket ship
    Lego Party Banana Minifigure

MextenAllBrick
    I don't mind that at all. I prefer it to no print or no extra part. They can be used separately. 
    andheCymbelineFizyxMinifigInSpaceAllBrick
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 674
    I'm most likely in the minority on this, but minifigs with unnecessary nonstandard heads. I know everybody is used to C-3PO at this point, but he really should have a plain printed head. Humanoid heads on a minifig always looks bad. Other examples are Yoda, the old HP goblins, etc... Reminds me of the old days of eBay where people were always selling "custom minifigures" where it was just a minifig with an action figure head stuck on it. 

Also molded headgear that looks designed for a human head rather than a minifig head. The flip-up-visor Iron Man helmet never looked right to me. The simplified bucket helmet they're using recently is perfect IMO.
    AllBrick
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 1,065
    Condiment King's face.  Enough said.

I'm sure I could come up with more gripes, given some more time.
    AllBrick
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 451
    @GIR3691 I'd imagine that those Iron Man visors have caused Customer Service quite a bit of grief from breaking/failing, especially as most of those faceplates are unique to the various Iron Man figures.  I'd imagine there's some upset kids (and adults) who have an impossible time sourcing the rarer ones like Iron Patriot or Silver Centurion, not to mention the War Machine figure from the TRU Bricktober pack. 

I can't stand the new Stormtrooper helmet. They look more like the Stormtroopers from Family Guy than Star Wars. 
    andheBumblepantsGothamConstructionCoAllBrickKungFuKenny
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 677
    "slim" Homer Simpson.
    AllBrick
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,366
    ^ That’s an interesting one - as there are very few minifigures TLG have made with fully three-dimensional overweight bodies. Ursula was a slightly odd one in the Disney series, particularly as a more generic non-overweight tentacle body could’ve been used for other figures like the octopus guardian from Atlantis.

There are a couple of SW minifigs with bulky or overweight bodies achieved by sandwich boards but it’s only obvious on characters like Watto.

Would you rather have an overweight mould? Or just printing? On DC Penguin minifigs the printing works well.
    One version of Homer did get a "belly roll" which is probably about right compared to the even fatter Comic Book Guy.

AllBrick
    I figure if we can get a larger size Hagrid, we can get a larger size torso for Homer.

The Comic Book Guy figure looks weird as hell there. It's like he's had a face lift from the neck down.
    AllBrick
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,741
    edited February 2021
    The fat dwarf from the hobbit (Bombur) also used a beard/belly combo to make him more rotund. I dunno, I'm quite happy with the fact that all lego figures operate on the same scale and frame. Whether thats kids with short legs and too long arms, or fat characters with belly printing. I'd rather that than lego stated gouging parts out of the regular minifig (you can get custom female figures with slimmer waists) or overly moulding things, it just ends up too far away from the uniformity of lego figures that I like.
    The_RancorpxchrisCymbelinestluxAllBrickgmonkey76
    Me too, I prefer uniformity in torsos. I wouldn't mind maybe some longer legs again, but torsos need to be two studs wide to fit in system.
    andheAllBrick
    It was an odd incongruence of making the heads closer to the Simpsons heads, while simultaneously slimming him down, and it was a bit of a loss as his physique is kinda part of his whole character!

The question was for bizarrely specific ones after all ;-) 
    andheAllBrick
  • wayoutjunkwayoutjunk TexasMember Posts: 1
    My pet peeve is the short legs for minifigures don't bend. I want the children in my City vehicles or modular buildings to sit, not stand on the chairs!
    This was especially aggravating with the Harry Potter Advent Calendar a couple of years ago. It gave us tables and benches, but the kids couldn't even sit down at them!
    MinifigInSpaceAllBricksklamb
    I'm enjoying the petty vitriol immensely.  I am in agreement with the short legs, they limit the figures so much.  

This one is likely an expense issue more than anything else (and I'm not a huge fan of DC) but it really bugs me that Batman figures have the headbands to make the eyes white.  Can't they paint the mask?  It means the maskless head looks ridiculous!  See also: X-wing pilot Luke Skywalker to a lesser degree
    AllBrick
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,335
    edited February 2021
    CCC said:

And that is often another annoyance, that dual sided heads often have two very similar expressions. If they are going to make heads double sided and so limit their use with some headgear, at least give them different expressions.
    I remember one of my kids Chima figures had a two-sided head and either it was misprinted with the same face on each side or it was the same on each side. The Fox I think it was? I remember wondering why they even bothered.
    AllBrickandhe
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,490
    On the subject of sloped bricks for dresses, the hands don’t clear the leg area when turned to certain positions and they make contact with the slope. 

Hand objects that are too big and / or heavy so the figure falls over or looks silly. 

CMFs that come with items that don’t fit on the base with the figure. 

Capes mixed with shoulder apparel or long hair. 

• BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 2,101
    CCC said:
    And that is often another annoyance, that dual sided heads often have two very similar expressions. If they are going to make heads double sided and so limit their use with some headgear, at least give them different expressions.
    Agreed. Although in the instance below, they went too far in the opposite direction. The expressions are a) Benny levels of delirium or b) Absolutely shitting it. Maybe any extreme expressions should always be paired with a neutral one.

560HeliportjmeninnoKungFuKennysklamb
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,741
    edited February 2021
    CCC said:

I remember one of my kids Chima figures had a two-sided head and either it was misprinted with the same face on each side or it was the same on each side. The Fox I think it was? I remember wondering why they even bothered.
    This was also the case with a lot of the bearded dwarves from LOTR/Hobbit. Once you added a beard and headgear you could barely see point of the alternate angry eyebrows.

Bumblepantssklamb