Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO's 90th Anniversary Theme: Hopes and Speculations

1235»

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,526
    edited March 2022
    It looks like they are covering many themes in #11021 . Sort of.
    BrickchapBumblepantspxchrisCymbeline
  • vizzitorvizzitor IrelandMember Posts: 473
    From the leaked pictures, I like the approach to the set. It covers a large range of Lego's in-house themes down the years. It being under the Classic theme, with no minifigures and fairly generic parts really suits what the set is celebrating, in my opinion.
    560HeliportiwybsCymbelineAanchir
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 1,116
    It's a nice idea but it's literally just a normal Classic parts pack, it just so happens the 'official' builds are all classic sets (the Black Seas Barracuda is pretty lame). I'd have much rather something like the GWP they did with the mini Airport Shuttle, Black Seas Barracuda, Spaceport I think it was and Yellow Castle. Sometimes Classic sets come with minifigs and this would have been the perfect set for them but NOPE.

Considering it's the 90th anniversary overall Lego's approach so far has been very disappointing. We get this set which is nothing special, a big castle that while great also kinda sucks in that we only get one set, from one classic theme to celebrate the entire 90 years of The Lego Group. The CMF series could be cool although chances are they will just do another Legends version of Ninjago characters, Batman, maybe a new Emmet, nothing interesting.

I really don't understand why lego couldn't have done a whole bunch of 'POBB' style sets as in modern reimaginings (key word, reimaginings, not just straight remakes) of classic sets.

We really need an Imperial fort for our pirates to fight, while a decent sized classic space set would have been great for those fans (especially if it had come with a monorail). A new Airport Shuttle would have sold like hot cakes, and I wouldn't have minded if they'd thrown in a Bionicle set too. Adventurers would have been a great anniversary set/s as you could do lots of little scenes and vehicles in one big set that celebrates all the Johnny Thunder adventures.

This would be a one off 'theme' of sorts, with different sized sets (not just huge expensive ones). I reckon that would have been a hit with adults and kids alike, and provided Lego with a hell of a lot of money. But nope, we get this very half-arsed, almost apathetic attempt to celebrate. :(
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,490
    Brickfanatics labels it as potentially the ‘first’ 90th anniversary set so presumably there are a few and the Classic isn’t the only one. It’s quite fun as a Classic option though.
    BrickchapAanchir
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,526
    Brickchap said:
    A new Airport Shuttle would have sold like hot cakes
    Who to?

When I think of modern airport sets such as these ones ($60 and $100 US), I don't think there is something really important missing. These both have a plane, the terminal, a vehicle to move luggage. Are there really huge numbers of people thinking these sets need a large expensive monorail to go around it.  The Airport Shuttle was $140 30 years ago. For them to develop the new monorail parts necessary for a one-off set, it would cost a small fortune and look very expensive compared to the last City passenger train at $160.

Sure, there is the nostalgia of now adults looking back at something they might have had long ago or could not afford at the time, but are people really going to pay the $400-500 or whatever they'd charge for a monorail with small loop of track when there are loads of other decent sets on the market?

I think the monorail has become one of those themes that there is huge demand for, not because of what it is but because of its value as there is so little of it about. If they flood the market with a new and expensive one, sure they'd sell some but I doubt the demand would be there to sell like hot cakes. And they'd have to cover the costs of the development for that single set unless they think there is enough demand for an ongoing monorail theme  to spread the costs over which is unlikely, given what they currently do (or don't do) with trains.
    BumblepantsMr_Cross560HeliportiwybsAyliffe
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 972
    I've heard people like castles. 
    560HeliportBrickchapAanchirMarshallmario