Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.
Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
Recent discussions • Categories
Best for Reselling: Large Sets vs. Small Sets?
Is it better to purchase smaller or larger sets from a resale standpoint? I've thought about this for awhile because there are so many factors that can impact the sets I purchase with the intent of reselling:
1) Required storage space - Recently, I've had to invest in additional storage space as many others have had to do as well. Obviously, smaller sets take less room.
2) Ease of packing - I tend to repack my sets in larger cardboard boxes to help protect the set boxes. A set like the IF fills up 2/3 of a lego shipping box and it can be tricky filling in the remaining empty space within the shipping box (to be more efficient space-wise). It is much easier/efficient packing smaller sets in a larger protective cardboard box than it is with larger sets.
3) Cost to sell per set - It seems like a single larger set would have less fees on average than multiple smaller sets of the same overall value. I'm thinking of eBay fees, Amazon fees, etc., shipping and handling fees, and even time processing/packing and taking to the post office.
4) Cost to purchase per set by reseller - It may be easier to afford smaller sets that are on sale prior to the EOLing of that particular set. Unfortunately it may take more work to find multiple smaller sets that equal one larger set.
5) Rarity of sets (assuming there are less larger sets) - I have no idea on this item. Conventional wisdom would say that larger sets would be rarer due to their higher price. But I guess one also has to take into account how long a given set has been out.
6) Demand of smaller sets vs. larger sets in the aftermarket - Is there a difference? I would assume that the larger sets would be more in demand due to their rarity (with respect to smaller sets)?
7) Affordability for buyer in the aftermarket - Are smaller sets more affordable (relatively speaking) than larger sets after EOL? If the price per piece is constant, then they should be; however, affordability may not be a big aspect if someone is purchasing something they consider to be rare or desirable.
8) Profitability - This is the most important item on the list for the reseller (and me). After everything is considered, which is more profitable: smaller sets, larger sets, or unknown.
9) Etc..... - There may be other factors to be considered regarding the size of sets to purchase with the intent to resell.
It seems like everyone is grabbing larger sets (including me, but I may just be going along with the crowd) such as IF, EN, HP DA, etc. I guess I'm wondering what the sweet spot is (or is there one) for the best-sized set to purchase with the intent to resell assuming everything else is equal (which may also be a bad assumption)? Or is it all a wash?