Some threads with new posts not sorting to the top in "All Discussions" view

mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
edited April 2011 in Forum Operation
Does anyone else experience this issue? It appears as though sometimes a thread will have new posts but the last post date for the topic does not get updated as far as the master topic list is concerned. As a result the thread will not bubble to the top of the list properly.

What's strange is that the little yellow "# New" does shows up in the discussion list. Is this the results of the "sink" feature being exercised, or is it a bug or some other issue?

Comments

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    This could definitely be due to the sink feature. Message me the topics and I'll confirm for you.
  • mkoeselmkoesel USAMember Posts: 97
    It has happened with a number of different topics. The one I noticed after coming to the forums just now is "Outrageous Retired Set Prices, Are you willing to pay?" in the "General → Collecting" forum.

Notably, the last post date showed April 10 in the "All discussions" topic list, causing this discussion to appear at the very bottom of the first page. However, clicking on the topic I see a brand new post was made just 20 minutes ago.

Sink feature or not, this doesn't seem correct to me. With the sink feature, I would think that the last post date should be reflected properly, however the post would simply not sort to the top of the discussion list.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    ^ You're right, I hadn't noticed that, the last post is not updating, not sure whether that's a bug or just 'the way it works'. The discussion not rising to the top after a new post is definitely sink in action.
    @Huw- any ideas?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I think it just keeps the date when the topic was sunk.
    Ok racao, well if that's the case then that's not so user-friendly. But it is minor gripe really. However, what would be really nice, irrespective of that bug/feature, is for there to be some visual indicator in the topic list that tells me when a topic is sunk. This way, I know in advance that I should not expect this particular topic to bubble to the top.

Is there an easy way for one of you to post a list of sunken topics so I can cross-check and verify that indeed those are the only ones I am seeing not bubble
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I think the whole point of the sinking feature is to be very subtle. It's just a step below closing a topic. If the topic was actually closed, there would be no new posts.
    Yeah, I can appreciate that. At the same time, it would make a lot of sense for there to be some visual indicator like announcements and closed topics have.

For that matter it would be really nice if there were a user-specific sink/unsink feature that effected the topic's sort order only in their own view of the discussion lists. This way each member could decide on their own which topics were or were not important to them.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^See what's possible: http://vanillaforums.org/
    @mkoesel - I like the idea of sorting the see all discussion topics too (by topic, # of posts, most recent post, etc.) but I'm not the vanilla expert. Hopefully someone has developed or will develop and approve that feature. But I agree with @brickmatic that the sink feature loses some value when the sink is announced.

We all have to remember that this is still in the Beta stages and we're seeing what works and doesn't work, both in the program and the management of said program.

Hopefully, the forum members will continue to steer this wagon train in the right direction. But there will likely always be those instances where a stagecoach veers off track and needs to be run down and brought back into the fold, scuttled, or left to die. This is, of course, where the sink and close functions come into play. :o)
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I hear you YellowCastle. I haven't taken much time to explore what all is possible with the forum software. I mainly brought this up originally as an FYI just in case it wasn't the intended behavior.

I suppose that I do have just a bit of a philosophical aversion to the sink feature as currently implemented, but as I said I can appreciate the rationale for it.