Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[LEGO.com] Has anyone substituted one set for another before it ships?

Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
edited November 2020 in Buying & Selling Topics
Like many others, I pulled the trigger on an order over the weekend to avail of the GWPs. I was torn between the NES and Barracuda Bay, but ultimately went with the NES. 

Overnight I had a change of heart, and decided to go for BB. However, I worried that if I cancelled the order that it would cancel out the Charles Dickens/2x4 brick. So I emailed LEGO Customer Service to see if I could exchange one for the other instead of cancelling/reordering. Both are on back order, so the NES isn't about to ship imminently.

It's been a couple of days and I haven't heard back yet (busy time of year, I imagine). So in the meantime just wondering if someone else has been in this situation, and what the outcome was. 

As an aside, the GWPs were in my basket when I put the order through, but they're not showing on my order when I check the status. Is that normal?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,363
    Are you near a store? If so, take the NES to the store and exchange it. If you don't get the GWP just return the whole package.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
    Nope, unfortunately no store over here.

Another option that occurred is to cancel and order BB when the Ice Rink GWP becomes available... 
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 633
    I had a similar request last year, but they said once it hits warehouse they can't touch the order, it has to be delivered then returned.. they will even email a pre-paid label to you for the return even before it arrives. so their only option is to send the lot, they couldn't even cancel the order and stop it shipping which is what I wanted.

If the GWP doesn't show in the order, then unlikely it'll come.. common to not show in basket, but needs to be in the order in my own experience... here's how my order looked in order status 

I just checked some older orders that had GWPs and you're right. Hmm, that's annoying...the whole reason for ordering over the weekend was to get the Charles Dickens set. I wonder if it's an issue related to the set being on backorder. 

Thanks for letting me know about your experience, it doesn't bode well regarding a substitute. But in a way it might just make things easier to cancel this and do a separate order. 
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 633
    order the new order this coming weekend when the dickens set is a GWP again
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,524
    edited November 2020
    I had a GWP appear with a back ordered set about 30 days after the promo. So I think LEGO may be holding the GWP until the purchase ships (how they do that I'm not sure considering LEGO's ordering system seems to be from the stone ages at times).
    order the new order this coming weekend when the dickens set is a GWP again
    Oh cool, I didn't realise that was the case.
    Update for anyone referencing this thread in the future: talked to a lovely lady in customer service, who confirmed that they don't "substitute" sets even if they haven't gone to the warehouse. But she took care of the cancellation and the new order. As a bonus, she threw in the Charles Dickens tribute even though the first promotion was now over and the Black Friday one hadn't begun. 
    khmellymelbandit778560HeliportFizyxcolayCymbelineKungFuKenny
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 547
    I just checked some older orders that had GWPs and you're right. Hmm, that's annoying...the whole reason for ordering over the weekend was to get the Charles Dickens set. I wonder if it's an issue related to the set being on backorder. 

No, I got GWP arrive this week without Ecto 1 that is on BO. However, i also had the small GB House too, to make the threshold for Teal Brick too, so the GWP were not on their own, they arrived with an accompanying paid for product. As long as it shows in your basket at order, you should be okay with any GWP