Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

PLAYMOBIL DECLARES WAR ON LEGO!

Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,409

Our special correspondent, Ivor Brikkortou notes on social media today that trouble is surely brewing between the two toy giants. Surely this is an clear indication that conflict is imminent. A startling resemblance between new products released by the German company and longstanding flagship sets already available from the classic plastic brick manufacturers is sure to be hailed as plagiarism. Calls of 'Copycat' and 'Poor show' have already been made by some fervent fans. This new move comes after the debateable copying of licensed products from Ghostbusters and Back to the Future in previous years. Spokespersons from both firms were unavailable for comment. We will keep you updated on details from the conflict as the situation evolves.
BumblepantsFizyxLostInTranslationBrainsluggedKungFuKennyandhe

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,586
    They look really good. I know it is tongue in cheek, but if LEGO did want to keep this sort of stuff off the shelves then they have an easy route to do so, have an exclusive and continuous license with the brands, keeping their versions on the shelves and locking other toy manufacturers out.
    SumoLegomadforLEGO
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,727
    edited November 2020
    Zzzzzzzzz...

$844 Million to $6 Billion (or $6000 Million)
    Nobody ain't declaring nothin' on nobody.  Also, we're using the word 'giant' very loosely.

In an unrelated story, I am declaring war on Playmobil.
    iwybsmadforLEGOgmonkey76Brickchap
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 533
    Have you seen their take of the BTTF DeLorean?  It's 1.21 gigatimes better than the Lego version.
    560HeliportMr_CrossKungFuKennygmonkey76jnscoelho
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,409
    SumoLego said:
    Zzzzzzzzz...

$844 Million to $6 Billion (or $6000 Million)
    Nobody ain't declaring nothin' on nobody.  Also, we're using the word 'giant' very loosely.

In an unrelated story, I am declaring war on Playmobil.
    I just thought it was funny :-(
    Wasn't being serious in the slightest... Ivor Brikkortou? 

Playmobil could so easily have chosen different colours and there would have been no credible similarity... even swapping those colours - although a dark red bug instead would have been really tempting to get (for the kids obvs.). I thought it was amusing that the products were so immediately reminiscent of the LEGO products... it can't be coincidence, so why do it? It's laughably silly.

Have you seen their take of the BTTF DeLorean?  It's 1.21 gigatimes better than the Lego version.
    Yeah, the DeLorean is very nice.

LostInTranslationSumoLegoandheBrick387Brickchap
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038

I don't understand why Playmobil repeatedly does this. They have great sets and themes, but this obvious plagiarism just gives people a bad taste. It makes Playmobil look like a LEGO wannabe and that they don't believe in their own products.

They did the same with The Playmobil Movie, copying the title of The LEGO Movie. It's cringe-worthy and a lot of people avoided the movie just because of that. The movie itself is actually enjoyable, funny, and well done.

They are shooting themselves in the foot and make them look like cheap imitators.

Brickchap
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,592
    Have you seen their take of the BTTF DeLorean?
    Yes! After months of resisting it when it has dipped to around £35 (RRP £50), I finally relented and ordered it yesterday when Amazon had it for £29.59 as a Deal of the Day. It arrived today.

Luckily I have a 5 year old to blame such purchases on. So far I've managed to resist the Playmobil Ecto 1. But that's partly because then I/we'd be into purchasing all the Ghostbusters in a separate set and the HQ. The nice thing about the Delorean is that it has everything you need in one set: the car, the Doc and Marty. 

The thing that puts me off Playmobil is that no matter how good the set looks, when you pick up the boxes, they feel almost empty. You always feel like you're getting something substantial with Lego.

Sometimes I wonder if there are websites/threads on the internet where people are discussing Playmobil just as passionately as we all discuss Lego. I'm sure the answer is "yes".
    NateMN2020andhe
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    Sometimes I wonder if there are websites/threads on the internet where people are discussing Playmobil just as passionately as we all discuss Lego. I'm sure the answer is "yes".

The Playmobil community is fairly large in Germany, Spain and Greece and they have various forums where they talk about similar stuff AFOLs talk about; new sets, reviews, leaks, etc. There is also a database similar to Brickset with all the Playmobil sets ever released called klickypedia. There is also a Playmobil subreddit, but it's pretty dead.

And JANGBRiCKS has a separate channel reviewing Playmobil sets, but he hasn't been very active on it lately. Still his reviews are very informative. There are other YouTube channels reviewing Playmobil sets as well, but not nearly as many as LEGO channels. And Playmobil's own channel is pretty fun with some great videos.

As a whole, Playmobil has a much smaller market share than LEGO, which is also reflected in the number of online and offline outlets fans talk about and display the products.

Playmobil is more like DUPLO rather than regular LEGO. Large pieces with limited connection points and large figures with limited mobility. So they appeal more to younger kids, although they have devoted adult fans as well. Their niche is excellent castle, city, and historical sets. It was only recently they got into licensed products, and as far as I know, they are doing pretty well with those. But again, their market share is nowhere near LEGO's.

KungFuKennydrdavewatfordFizyxCymbelineCharmiefcbgmonkey76messycatwranglerYellowcastle2
    akunthita said:

I don't understand why Playmobil repeatedly does this. They have great sets and themes, but this obvious plagiarism just gives people a bad taste. It makes Playmobil look like a LEGO wannabe and that they don't believe in their own products.

They did the same with The Playmobil Movie, copying the title of The LEGO Movie. It's cringe-worthy and a lot of people avoided the movie just because of that. The movie itself is actually enjoyable, funny, and well done.

They are shooting themselves in the foot and make them look like cheap imitators.

But then it is OK for LEGO to do it to others?

Character Building did Doctor Who before LEGO did, and did a better job at it too! 

Megabloks did Marvel back in about 2005/6.

LEGO copied blind bagged toys aimed at kids.
    andhe
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,010
    Im surprised that Playmobil is well liked in many European countries,  especially when you think about how much space Playmobil takes up (at least LEGO can be dismantled a lot easier)
    Mr_Cross said:
    It's laughably silly.
    Yes, all in good sarcastic fun.  We're on a LEGO Fansite!

Nonetheless, Playmobil really can't be accused of 'copying', as they're not the licenseholders.  And frankly, I would copy the themes and ideas that the $6000 million company does - because it makes good business sense.

Except for that movie.  That was just a debacle of debacular proportions!
    Mr_Cross
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,320
    I got the playmobil Staypuft man a year or so back. It scales nicely with lego City stuff...

I also follow a couple of playmobil accounts on instagram as I find the custom historical builds good inspiration for lego builds. 
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 600
    edited November 2020
    Im surprised that Playmobil is well liked in many European countries,  especially when you think about how much space Playmobil takes up (at least LEGO can be dismantled a lot easier)
    My kids have both (as did I when I was young), and I have to say Playmobil, whilst in itself taking up more space, might actually take less space. Storing build-up Lego takes a lot of space, and as Playmobil doesn't break apart when you stack it... :) Therefore, I don't think there actually at least isn't much in it space wise storing Lego or PM (albeit Lego in build-up form, which is my kids' preferred method).

Also, PM is pretty sturdy, so stands up to being played with more rough and, as said before, by younger kids (mine are 3 and 5, so breaking of Lego-sets is a pretty common thing, and causes some grief with my oldest).

I really like the Farm and Construction themes of Playmobil - for Sinterklaas, my kids get both PM and Lego (yes, they are spoiled). Wish Lego would do these themes properly again - the last wave was when I still was in my dark ages (oh, how nice would a MISB #7905 or #7637 be). At least a pretty decent tractor is coming next year, at least.

PM does a lot of animals - which my youngest is really fond of. Again, would be great if Lego would do some pigs/cows/horses/goats again!

Added to that, for some reason I have less against second hand PM than again second hand Lego - due to its scale, PM is cleaner easier and also less dirt will get trapped (in my twisted mind, I guess ;))
    andhemadforLEGOcatwrangler
    It may also be the VW want their iconic vehicles on shelves in those colours and ask companies (both LEGO and Playmobil) to do this. With the Beetle, that blue and also white seem to stick in my mind as common / classic colours from the 70s, for the van I mainly remember red, yellow and blue versions.

stluxBumblepantsCharmiefcbMr_Cross560Heliportgmonkey76
    andhe said:
    I got the playmobil Staypuft man a year or so back. It scales nicely with lego City stuff...
    I was always almost purchasing this to go with the GBHQ. Never quite pulled the trigger. I think it was a combination of never finding a great price and also thinking it was maybe still a little on the small side.
    andhe
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,320
    andhe said:
    I was always almost purchasing this to go with the GBHQ. Never quite pulled the trigger. I think it was a combination of never finding a great price and also thinking it was maybe still a little on the small side.

Yeah if you're going for film accurate then its small, but better scaled with minifigs than the playmobil characters. It would need to be (impractically) taller than a modular I think, so the play-scale works well for plonking it down in a city setup without being some giant behemoth.

Just need playmobil to make a Godzilla now for the ultimate showdown.
    560Heliport
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,302
    From a child point of view an awful lot of Lego/Playmobil/Sylvanian Families*/Random Plastic Dude from the Poundshop all live together in a happy utopia. Kids don't care.
    (*Calico Critters to you American lot)
    If I had the space and money I would soooo be collecting all 3.
    560HeliportMr_CrosseggshenCharmiefcbSpeedman29KungFuKennycatwrangler
    Crap. As a result of this thread I'm now starting to think that I can't live without a Playmobil Stay Put Marshmallowman. I'm assuming it's no longer for sale so aftermarket prices only.
    SeijiAmasawaMr_Cross
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,973
    Crap. As a result of this thread I'm now starting to think that I can't live without a Playmobil Stay Put Marshmallowman. I'm assuming it's no longer for sale so aftermarket prices only.
    Well, at least you know it won’t be out wandering around ;)
    SeijiAmasawa560HeliportSumoLegoKungFuKennyCyberdragon
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,409
    What did you do Ray!?
    AstrobricksKungFuKennyCyberdragon
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,393
    CCC said:
    It may also be the VW want their iconic vehicles on shelves in those colours and ask companies (both LEGO and Playmobil) to do this. With the Beetle, that blue and also white seem to stick in my mind as common / classic colours from the 70s, for the van I mainly remember red, yellow and blue versions.

Corgi also had the same colour scheme for their model, so this might indeed be something that VW is asking for.

560HeliportMr_Crossgmonkey76andheLyichirKungFuKennyBrickchap
    TOBAR (Hawkin's Bazaar) also do a 1:64 in red which they call the iconic paint job version, with green as a special edition. And a 1:25 model again in red, and also some hippie versions. They also do a Beetle in blue (and a red one).

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,608
    Crap. As a result of this thread I'm now starting to think that I can't live without a Playmobil Stay Puft Marshmallowman.
    Yeah, same.

Grrrrrr.
    Mr_Crossgmonkey76KungFuKenny
    Am I the only one who feels like the non lego versions are “cheating” by creating molds that exactly match the source objects? Where’s the challenge in that? :)
    560Heliport
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,284
    Am I the only one who feels like the non lego versions are “cheating” by creating molds that exactly match the source objects? Where’s the challenge in that? :)
    It does seem pretty boring. :)
    Astrobricks
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,906
    bookmum said:
    From a child point of view an awful lot of Lego/Playmobil/Sylvanian Families*/Random Plastic Dude from the Poundshop all live together in a happy utopia. Kids don't care.
    (*Calico Critters to you American lot)
    If I had the space and money I would soooo be collecting all 3.
    Little Miss Speedy got the BTTF playmobil Delorean for her birthday and the BTTF advent calendar is waiting for December too! SHe loves building LEGO sets, and will occasionally MOC with the tub of pieces we have, but she far prefers roleplaying with all her toys. Minifigures become tiny dolls or babies for Playmobile figures who become the same for Barbie and so on like Russian dolls stacking. The whole lot end up playing with LOL dolls in her dollshouse. 
    560Heliportbookmumkhmellymelandhecatwrangler
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,038
    Now I'm really glad I bought one when they came out.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 296
    I have one Playmobil in my collection--a "sort of supposed to be a Smart car; but not to the point Mercedes will sue" EMS first response/Notarzt unit.  Their fire apparatus and ambulances (as well as that awesome looking SWAT truck) and all the details and equipment have been tempting me heavily. And then they did THW, DLRG, and DRK sets for the German market that look great.  No room for them, and unlike LEGO, one CANNOT build it into something else.

I like the looks of them--now, maybe I can buy one and finally uh, hide that cheesy-looking wood VW T2 birdhouse my grandmother bought 5-6 years ago.
    Yes. But then that is what LEGO does with a lot of smaller parts.

Although LEGO and Playmobil are often compared they are very different toys. Playmobil is not a building toy. Part of the joy of it is that it is (almost) ready made, and very strong for when younger kids smash it about.
    LyichirFizyxcatwrangler
    ^ I tend to agree, but then I am reminded of this...

Don't tell me that isn't readily confused for a LEGO Space set.  (And yes, don't be clever and point out that there hasn't a LEGO Space-theme set in years.)
    ^ Unless you count space CITY.
    SumoLegostluxgmonkey76
    I'm not up on playmobil, my kids are a bit old for it now. But that looks good. I don't think it would be confused with LEGO if someone was after LEGO but it does make a good substitute for LEGO (for kids). It doesn't bother me if playmobil or other companies eat into lego' s market share. LEGO can't/won't do everything and these toys give alternatives. Plus many kids will play with more than one company's toys at once. My daughter used to use playmobil people as grown ups and Lego people as kids, inside houses made from cereal boxes. Often kids don't care about brand names, they are just toys.
    khmellymelCymbelineSpeedman29catwrangler
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 109
    With a few exceptions I only collect the Playmobil Christmas theme sets and one or 2 of the advent calendars each year.  The Nativity sets they have made over the past few years make great display pieces.
    Marshallmario
    I love my Playmobil Nativity set. Also the baby Jesus is quite large for a new born.
    Poor Mary. Gives birth in a barn to a giant baby.
    560Heliportew027KungFuKennyFizyxcatwranglerdrdavewatfordBrickchap
    edited November 2020
    He looks like a microscale Princess Leia :)
    CymbelineCyberdragon560HeliportBrainsluggedgmonkey76catwrangler
    OMG you can get a Playmobil Oompa Loompa...
    CymbelineandheKungFuKennyBrickchap
  • MinifigInSpaceMinifigInSpace USAMember Posts: 110

Hmmm, very interesting...

Yep, plagiarism down to the surfboard on the VW Beetle. 

Will this war be waged through court or through sales? If through sales, I suppose this could be my ultimate excuse to support LEGO... (lol)
    There are many different toy / models of VW Beetles with surfboards on the roof. It wouldn't surprise me if VW ask for this, to help promote the hipster image of the VW Beetle.
    andheLyichirAstrobricksMinifigInSpace
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,393
    Agreed, plenty of models from other companies out there of blue VW Beetles with surfboards. These are just 2 of them:

LyichirAstrobricksMinifigInSpace
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 109
    edited December 2020
    Since this seems to be the spot for discussing Playmobil.  I just received the latest shop at home catalogue in the mail and had to do a double take when I first looked at the front cover.  

I don't know if it is the colour scheme, the way the figures are posed, or something else, but it just seems to have a strong Playmobil vibe and appearance to it!
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    I find that Playmobil scratches the itches Lego often doesn't - though Lego at least have been better in the last few years at doing treehouses and mountain cabins and such. Space and restraint have collected me going really crazy with Playmobil, but I drool over the forests, landscape parts, wildlife and large-scale historic sets. Lately I've contented myself by buying the Greek gods (you can get the whole pantheon!) and the ancient Egyptian family and warriors. 

As an aside, I wish it was as easy to get hold of the Lego Shop @ Home catalogue as the Playmobil equivalent; over the years I never seem to be able to stay on Lego's mailing list.
    CCCMr_Cross
    Lately I've contented myself by buying the Greek gods (you can get the whole pantheon!) 
    I didn't know these had come to the UK. I tried to get some a few years ago but they were Greece exclusives back then. They do Romans well too, not just soldiers and gladiators but also civilians.
    catwrangler
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,088
    I find that Playmobil scratches the itches Lego often doesn't - though Lego at least have been better in the last few years at doing treehouses and mountain cabins and such. Space and restraint have collected me going really crazy with Playmobil, but I drool over the forests, landscape parts, wildlife and large-scale historic sets. Lately I've contented myself by buying the Greek gods (you can get the whole pantheon!) and the ancient Egyptian family and warriors. 

As an aside, I wish it was as easy to get hold of the Lego Shop @ Home catalogue as the Playmobil equivalent; over the years I never seem to be able to stay on Lego's mailing list.

Oh god, the have an Argo and the Argonauts set.  I had no idea these were a thing D:
    catwrangler
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 371
    That oompa loompa is hilarious. At least playmobil is a proper company (not saying their products are any good though) but the real enemy is Lepin.

When I was young I had some fake lego soldiers and some other fake lego so Id have real lego fighting fake lego. Not really fair given that the minifigs had revolvers and martini-henry rifles (thats what I reckon the classic rifle piece looks like) while the fake lego side had Kalashnikovs, automatic pistols and proper helmets...
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 187
    The Playmobil VW's are very nice! Best place to buy them is Walmart.com where currently the Beetle is $29.97 and The Bus, $39.97 They are each $10 off MSRP. Amazon prices as of this post are inflated.

pxchris
    I secretly want the 'bus' or Combi Van as I know them as. I say secretly but really it's not a secret. I. Want. It.
    dehnehsu