Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What Marvel/DC characters will become immortalized in LEGO?

pincerpincer Member Posts: 32
edited February 2012 in Collecting
I don't know about you, but I am excited that Marvel and to a lesser extent DC are coming to Lego. The Avengers (which looks awesome by the way) is a great way to get things started for Lego and perfect timing for them to hold the Marvel license. The Super Hero films are just going to keep on rolling in - The Avengers, Batman, Ghost Rider, Spiderman, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, and Wolverine 2 to name but a few...

The potential for great Lego sets seems endless.. Do you think the Super Hero line will take over from Star Wars as Lego's flagship license?

I think that Lego can also produce a mini-figure line based on Marvel and DC which will be a great way to introduce some lesser known but fan favorite characters..

What do you guys think?

Here are some ideas for sets/characters to kick things off -

sets - The Fantastic Four (with jet), Xavier's School for the gifted, Stark Tower, Asgard etc..
characters - Green Lantern, Daredevil, X-Men, Ghost Rider, Juggernaut, Justice League of America etc..

Comments

• BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I doubt it will take over for Star Wars in terms of popularity/longevity, although I expect they will be very popular. The one thing SW has over Marvel/DC is iconic looking characters AND massive spaceships.

Superhero sets are going to be all about the minifigures. I just don't think there are enough iconic vehicles or locations to work with.
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 272
    I hope they make plenty of mutants from the X-Men and other X-teams (preferably comic style, not movie versions) and the Blackbird jet. The X-Mansion would make a great set. They'll have to do a Sentinel too.
    I'd love to see Ghost Rider as a minifig, just wonder how they would do his motorcycle. I also hope they will make War Machine to go along with Iron Man.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I think if Star Wars ever had a legitimate contender, it would be Marvel/DC not LotR. The variety of characters is diverse and colorful. Extensive source material. Built-in audience ranging from young children to old AFOLs from Golden Age. In terms of vehicles and sets, I feel Marvel/DC can beat Star Wars if Lego really puts their minds to it. But its all 'what-ifs' until they double down on their current bet and shoot for the stars with Superheroes.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 345
    There is some great potential for characters, locations and vehicles. FF Fantasticar, Quinjet, WW's invisible Plane, Hall of Justice, Avenger's Mansion, Baxter Building, Xavier's school, Blackbird, Justice League sattelite, all the Bat stuff in the works, but also some clear green lantern constructs, fortress of solitude, maybe tweak an Atlantis design for the Aquaman set, the helecarrier, Doom's castle...

and we'll definitely need big 'ol Galactus for the heroes to fight...
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,931
    ^ isn't wonder womans insivible jet just going to be a wonder woman mini figure in a box?
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 345
    I was thinking of the standard airplane pieces cast in clear plastic...
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    We just made our first set from the Super Heroes theme, Superman and Power Armor Lex. It was pure joy to see my kid going WOOP WOOP due to it. Though he never liked Superman as much as he loves Batman universe. But, a great build and awesome mini figures. Next on the line, Catwoman chase and maybe the Funhouse when it arrives in a week :) As for Marvel universe, dying to see some pictures of those sets!
    Forgot to add, Super Heroes would never take over Star Wars. Too many iconic ships, amazing mini figures, and a huge huge fan base. But it is a third in the line as LOTR being the definite second winner IMO.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Coolsplash never say never. You should know better than to deal in absolutes Padawan.
    Well to take over Star Wars would be like at least 5 years of more Super Heroes sets. It can be done yes, but depends on fan base and movies coming out. I want to be wrong in this as we love the Super Heroes theme and definitely want to see more and more sets!
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,931
    ^^^^^I know i was joking :p
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    The Super Heroe line is doing well with this DC start off and with Marvel, it'll only get bigger, but it won't overtake Star Wars.
    Would love a chrome silver Silver Surfer fig with chrome silver board. And I'm hoping on a brick/technic built Galactus. That helmet would look great!
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I'm pretty much only hoping against hopes for a Gambit and Rogue. I'll buy any X-Men set, and probably Spidey, but otherwise have no interest in anything specific in this line.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    @Coolsplash - Batman and Superman are in the same universe.
    I don't think the suggestion was that they were literally in different universes, per se. Just that, thematically, they are completely different from one another. And while I don't particular care for either character, I can see where @Coolsplash is coming from, as Batman easily has the richer rogue's gallery and less generic back story and 'power' set.
  • GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    The only villians I can think from the top of my head which are quite popular are and stand a fighting chance of become Lego are:
    For DC:
    Flash
    Flash
    Gorilla Grodd-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Grodd

Superman
    Brainiac-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainiac_(comics)
    General Zod-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Zod
    Superman is a strong candidate to be successful

Batman
    Alfred the Butler
    The Penguin
    Ra's Al Ghul
    Mr Freeze
    Killer Croc
    Batman is a strong candidate to be successful

For Marvel
    X-Men
    Mystique-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystique_(comics)
    Lady Deathstrike-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Deathstrike
    X men is a strong candidate for Marvels side to be succesful apart from the Avengers

Spiderman
    Venom-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom_(comics)

Extras
    Teen Titans-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Titans_(TV_series)
    Green Arrow-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Arrow

Horsemen of Apocalypse-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsemen_of_Apocalypse

As for things like Aquaman,Green Lantern,Iron Man and Thor I find their univerese's to be a bit uninteresting, but maybe their sets may change my mind.
    ^I feel like you only read Batman and/or are basing this solely off the films.

Spider-Man and the X-Men alone have enough iconic villains to populate an entire theme themselves.

X-Men

Apocalypse
    Mr. Sinister
    Juggernaut
    Sabretooth
    Pyro
    The Blob
    Avalanche
    Master Mold/Sentinels
    Nimrod
    F.O.H.
    Genoshan Magistrates
    The Phalanx
    Dark Phoenix (if you're so inclined)

X-Men, in addition to having a really strong catalog of villains, also have the potential to generate a lot of 'troop builder' minifigs from some of these factions.

Spider-Man

Green Goblin
    Dr. Octopus
    Mysterio
    Scorpion
    Electro
    The Vulture
    Hobgoblin
    Sandman
    The Lizard
    Rhino
    Shocker
    Chameleon

All this said... my concern for the Super Heroes line was never the lack of minifigure options, so much as the lack of potential for sets. The DC sets themselves were all terrible (save for the Batmobile half of the Two-Face set), and the Marvel ones don't look to be too much better. Sure, you can crank out a nice Batmobile, or Quinjet or perhaps The Blackbird somewhere down the line... but for each of those, I'm getting a bunch of generic robots, motorcycles and helicopters. Maybe kids won't care, but as a comic book fan, the minifigs are the only things in these sets that appeal to me so far.
  • GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    ^
    The reason why I only said these characters was because of their mainstream popularity.
    I mean I love the characters you have mentioned and im sure people like us would love them as well but we just have to be realistic sometimes... :(
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,375
    Two of the most wanted figures will most likely be the 2 released in this years Toy Fair, only 125 made of Captain America and Ironman, both sealed in a baggie. Ironman is a completely different minifigure than the one they are coming out with in the sets this summer, and Captain America has a variation on the torso.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    I think that DC and MARVEL if done correctly can be a great source of new Lego models!
    Both companies have a wonderful, colorful, wide variety of characters that have been in comics, cartoons, and movies.

DC
    Superman
    Batman
    Green Lantern
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    The Flash
    Martian Manhunter
    PlasticMan
    The Teen Titans
    Beast Boy
    StarFire
    Robin
    Superboy
    SuperGirl
    Cyborg
    Kid Flash
    Miss Martian
    The Doom Patrol
    The Justice Society of America
    The Injustice Gang
    The Rogues
    The Legion of Superheroes
    The Green Lantern Corps
    etc. etc. etc.

MARVEL
    Spider-Man
    The Fantastic Four
    Human Torch
    Mr. Fantastic
    The Thing
    Invisible Woman
    Dr. Doom
    Doom Bots
    The Avengers
    Captain America
    Thor
    IronMan
    War Machine
    Hawkeye
    Hulk
    She Hulk
    AntMan/GiantMan
    Wasp
    Doctor Strange
    Ghost Rider
    Punisher
    Daredevil
    Spider-Man's Rogues Gallery
    etc. etc. etc.

And let's not forget the things they COULD make models of:

DC:
    The Daily Planet (Interior, or Building with Globe on top)
    Justice League Watchtower
    Justice League Satellite
    The Hall of Justice (JLA Headquarters front in DC)
    STAR Labs
    Wayne Manor
    Titan's Tower
    The Central Power Battery of OA
    Themyscira (Island of the Amazons)
    Injustice Gang Headquarters (looks like Legion of Doom hideout)
    Crime Alley
    Ferris Air Crafts
    Kent Farm
    The Flash Museum
    Arkham Asylum
    Various Streets/banks/action scenes with heroes and criminals
    Prison Break Out
    Brainiac's Ship
    Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet (made with clear Lego bricks)
    Green Lantern Constructs (this alone leads to MANY possibilities)
    Blue Beetle's BUG (aircraft)
    Justice League Space Craft
    etc. etc. etc.

MARVEL
    Four Freedom Plaza/Baxter Building
    Avengers Mansion
    Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters
    Asteroid M
    Daily Bugle
    Sanctum Sacntorum (Dr. Strange)
    SHIELD Hellicarrier
    Prison Break Out
    various streets/banks/action scenes with heroes and villains
    Spider-Mobile (yes it's real)
    The Fantasticar
    The Pogo Plane
    QuinJet (already being made, but wanted to mention it)
    etc. etc. etc.

Grant it some characters and places may not be so well known, but that's never stopped Lego before (you need to pick the proper characters to go WITH the places they want to build models of)
    It all depends on how ambitious Lego wants to get, and how knowledgeable and willing they are to use the source material! But I can see a lot of awesome coming out of these licenses if they truly want to exploit them!
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    In addition, I'd love to see the following from Marvel

- Vision
    - Ultron
    - Ms. Marvel