Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How to work 8879 remote

Please pardon my lack of understanding. I have bought my grandson 8879 remote for his lego motors but don't understand what else I need to make it work.  He does not have a particular set, he just uses parts to build amazing vehicles. Can someone help me please. 

Comments

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,413
    edited November 2020
    Hi, without knowing what motors and other Power Functions accessories he has, it's difficult to say, but you will need #8884 IR Receiver, at the very least.

This will connect to a motor and battery box and allow the motor to be controlled.

You can see all available Power Functions accessories here: https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Power-Functions

Do bear in mind, however, that PF has now been retired and superseded by the new Powered Up range, so PF items are now more difficult to find and buy.

Feel free to ask any other questions, as I'm sure someone here will have the right answer for you. Good luck!
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,413
    Just to be clearer, you do need to find out what motors he has already and whether they are, in fact, Power Functions motors, or something else.

Lego has produced a number of different ranges of powered accessories over the years and most are incompatible with each other.

I think it unlikely that your grandson would have anything earlier than Power Functions, but he may have Powered Up motors, which would require a different kind of controller to the one that you have bought him.

You can check the Powered Up range of accessories here: https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Powered-Up
  • JudyJudy NZMember Posts: 3
    Thank you. Clearer now. He has power functions.