Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Entertainer moving into Asda and Debenhams. Good or bad?

bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 713
edited October 2020 in Buying & Selling Topics
Just seen the news that the Entertainer will take over toy departments in Asda and Debenhams stores. 
I'm wondering how it will work with Entertainer's approach to working on Sunday and not stocking any toys featuring wizards, ghosts, weapons etc. We may be left with city, friends and creator sets just like it is in their standalone stores.

Comments

• DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 272
    Initial reaction is a big fat 'meh' from me. The Entertainer doesn't have the greatest range, but then nor does the vast majority of Asda stores. Offers at the Entertainer aren't the greatest either, but then aside from some occasional cracking deals nor are Asda's. I can't see it leading to more consistent pricing which can be a problem with Asda, the same item at the same time will often be at different prices in different stores, as only very few stores will have an Entertainer to start off with, and even if rolled out further I imagine will still be limited to the biggest stores.
    As you elude to, the biggest point of interest to me is Sunday trading. I can only assume that these departments will be maintained and restocked by Asda staff, so the Entertainer won't be employing any new in-store staff? I guess that would get around their Sunday trading loophole.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,662
    We may be left with city, friends and creator sets just like it is in their standalone stores.
    The Entertainer also sell Star Wars, Ninjago, Minecraft, Super Heroes, and so on.

andhe
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 703
    It's also only in five ASDA stores, so currently it's not going to have a particularly big impact.

My concern is also what would happen to ASDA's own range of toys. They currently make some really good value wooden toys that I wouldn't want to see disappear.
    andhelegomental
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,335
    Interesting. Early Learning Centre moved into Entertainer when Mothercare went belly up. I wonder if this means Asda will sell ELC stuff. Although tbh people like their Happyland stuff but the rest is mostly generic pre school stuff that costs more. I don't know if this will make any difference to Debenhams. They are hanging by a thread as it is. Entertainer don't really do much 'own brand'. The only thing I can think of really is their version of the Our Generation dolls (theirs is B Friends). I can't imagine what different brands and toys an Entertainer concession in Debenhams will sell that Debenhams sells already. 
    @bricknation I always find it amusing that Entertainer won't sell anything witch/wizard related but sell dinosaur toys. Surely dinos aren't in the Bible.....
    560Heliport
    bookmum said:
    @bricknation I always find it amusing that Entertainer won't sell anything witch/wizard related but sell dinosaur toys. Surely dinos aren't in the Bible.....
    It's not about "not being in the Bible" (fairly sure unicorns aren't in the Bible either, and they sell plenty of those) - it's about "witchcraft" being "evil" and therefore against Bible teachings. Dinosaurs aren't "evil", they're just… not mentioned.
    andheGothamConstructionCo
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,662
    bookmum said:
    It's not about "not being in the Bible" (fairly sure unicorns aren't in the Bible either, and they sell plenty of those) - it's about "witchcraft" being "evil" and therefore against Bible teachings. Dinosaurs aren't "evil", they're just… not mentioned.
    I find it funny that they will sell loads of guns (Nerf, and more realistic revolvers and so on) and that Jedi force stuff is fine, as is Spiderman Ghost-Spider, magic sets are fine, whereas Harry Potter's occult and witchcraft is evil. 
    560HeliportFizyxlegomental
  • DougTemplarDougTemplar Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 614
    edited October 2020
    CCC said:
    I find it funny that they will sell loads of guns (Nerf, and more realistic revolvers and so on) and that Jedi force stuff is fine, as is Spiderman Ghost-Spider, magic sets are fine, whereas Harry Potter's occult and witchcraft is evil. 
    Magic Sets clearly involve no Witchcraft or any other Occult gateway toys. Indeed Magic sets demonstrate how to actually perform illusions and thus debunk magical powers that the likes of Harry Potter and co demonstrate. What with their snake speaking, body changing juice, curses and complete non reference to Judeo-Christianity (with the sole exception being Christmas) and hidden other world full of dark and evil things.

Don't mention that Spider-man often interacts with and fights Magical beings! Or that the Avengers include in their ranks at times Dr Strange, Wiccan, Scarlett Witch etc 

Anyway the Entertainer does often have a good load of Transformers in stock so with my other hobby head on (oh no - no-one mention the head swaping thing or the Wurzel Gummage Green Man/Gia magic thing) that might make a trip to Debenhams or Asda more exciting.

Not that I go to Debenhams or Asda that often anyway and for some reason the Entertainer is always closed when I want to go shopping on Sundays.....

@benbacardi I was being a bit tongue in cheek. But they do sometimes seem a bit random about what they will and won't sell. 
    I am impressed that they stick to their closing on Sundays. Even when Xmas Eve fell on a Sunday a few years back they stayed closed. That's a brave business decision.
    andheKungFuKenny
    It seems The Entertainer may have already made its way into Debenhams. I was looking one their website and I noticed they are selling the B friends dolls which is Entertainers own brand version of Our Generation dolls.
    Barely any Lego on the website though. Don't know if in-store will be better.
    Well I guess that plan is off as Debenhams now gone bust. Awful for all the staff. 
  • CrazyLCrazyL PortsmouthMember Posts: 9
    I've never heard of "The Entertainer" in a toy shop guise, only as a novelty piano piece.  Who are they and what's all this caper about biblism?  Sounds like the kind of shop chain you'd find in the US.

CrazyL said:
    I've never heard of "The Entertainer" in a toy shop guise, only as a novelty piano piece.  Who are they and what's all this caper about biblism?  Sounds like the kind of shop chain you'd find in the US.

Your nearest is Whiteley. They've been around since the early 80s, I am fairly surprised to find somebody from the UK who hasn't heard of them! They also own the Early Learning Centre now. 

The "Bible stuff" is relatively low-key—stemming from the owner, they don't open on Sundays, some of their piped music in stores is Christian, they don't stock witchcraft-related goods or other things, and they usually have a nativity in store windows at Christmas. 
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,683
    I rarely ever even bother poking my head into The Entertainer. Partly because I'm always getting caught out and try to go on a Sunday. Mainly because they never seem to have Lego at below retail. The two exceptions are when I found the Rise of Skywalker Y-Wing for a third off when it was first released, although I suspect that was more a pricing error. The other time was the day before Lockdown One when absolutely everything in the store was "buy one, get something the same price or less for free". So lego was basically half price.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,958
    The Reading branch use to carry a few polybags from time to time

The manager of the one near me feels and labels the CMFs, which is nice sometimes!
    @CrazyL it's only in the last few years (with the loss of Woolworths, then Toys R Us) that The Entertainer have expanded the amount of branches they have. I have never seen an advertisement for them on telly so I suppose if your local shopping mall doesn't have one I can see why you wouldn't necessarily be aware of them. 
    Oddly their website is www.thetoyshop.com rather than 'entertainer.com' which possibly might not help.