Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Using Lego in kids' homework assignments

BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,438
This weekend, one of my 9 year old daughter's homework assignments was to come up with ten rules for her school's computer room. She then had to create a poster of pictures/icons/cartoons showing the ten rules. Never to ignore an opportunity to inject some Lego into the proceedings, I/we created a completely Lego-based poster.

I don't MOC often, but this is at least the third homework of hers in the past year that has been solved/created using Lego. I was just wondering if anyone else has any examples of using Lego to solve their kids' homework assignments.

I'll dig out pics of the other two things I/we made as well. For now, here's our computer room poster.

560HeliportMr_CrossGibbo1959benbacardiFizyxCymbelinejason1976The_Rancormic27SumoLegoCharmiefcbBumblepantsTheOriginalSimonBakunthitastluxMextenrd1899

Comments

• TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 427
    My son had to do a report on a topic of his choosing. He chose hot dogs. He had to present the report to the class with a visual aid, so we planned to spend a weekend making a stop motion movie. It was more involved than I could have imagined. Luckily there was a winter storm that closed his school and with the extra time he was able to finish.
    https://youtu.be/1V7DgHZeoNc

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1V7DgHZeoNc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Brainslugged560HeliportFizyxCCCCymbelinevanvonfullmic27
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,438
    Tkatt said:
    My son had to do a report on a topic of his choosing. He chose hot dogs. He had to present the report to the class with a visual aid, so we planned to spend a weekend making a stop motion movie.
    That movie is amazing!
    Tkattflowerpotgirl
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 127
    edited October 4
    I'm studying Industrial design, and i've used lego for explaining a gear structure. In the lockdown we had to make a prototype, for which I intergrated arduino components with a lego shell. its not perfect and probably best for exploring ideas, but lego is useful throughout the years!
    Fizyx
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,313
    Love the poster but that ‘No Drinks’ rule at the end doesn’t exactly do things by halves!
    560Heliport
  • mic27mic27 Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 9
    I once used Lego for my homework. When I was in 8th grade, we read to Kill a Mockingbird in English class. My teacher always made us do some creative representation of each chapter that we read. I can't remember the options she gave us, probably like drawing a picture or writing a poem, and I also don't remember if there was any specific prompt or anything. Like I said, this was back in 8th grade. Anyway, I made a lego representation of the chapter. I remember I built a tree and I can't remember the plot of the book if there was a person hiding in the tree or a note or a gift or what, but I made a little scene of a tree and the characters. I thought it was a very low-effort representation of the chapter (got out of writing about it!), but my teacher seemed to like it a lot.

The past two years I worked as a teaching assistant in an elementary school. Nobody has turned in any Lego for homework yet, but the teachers at my school just gave out worksheet packets for homework so there wasn't really any place or reason to insert Lego. No projects either. But we did have Lego in the curriculum, so I did still get to use Lego at school all the time! We used the WeDo robots. We also did FIRST Lego League Mission Moon, so the kids had to come up with solutions to problems on the moon. It was... bad... but at least my students made me into a minifigure and put me on their moon base!! I also was forced into co-running a FIRST Lego League after school club also centered around space and that was also equally awful. School and Lego do not always mix. Unless it was indoor recess. Then I had fun. But somehow I always ended up as the person picking up all the Lego.....