Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Removing Price Stickers

phantom78phantom78 Member Posts: 23
edited February 2012 in Collecting
for the people that collect MISB or just like to have their boxes as nice as possible do you remove price stickers/security code stickers etc from your LEGO boxes?

if i buy any new sets from stores i can usually remove them by carefully and slowly getting a fingernail under one corner and peeling slowly. some stickers are more stubborn than others (especially the security stickers) and if it seems like i am going to pull the print off the box i will push the corner of the sticker back down and just leave it.
older sets i have bought from ebay that have price stickers on them i have just left as is for now.

a quick google search tells me the most common method is applying heat with a hair dryer or alternatively using lighter fluid which sounds more risky

has anyone tried either of these methods?
The number one method for removing paper price stickers, scotch tape or tags is to use a BLOW DRYER. Simply heat up the sticker and about 9 out of 10 times it will lift without tearing or damaging the surface. How many times have you seen a book, toy, model kit box or other paper collectible with scratching or damage where there may have been a sticker at one time?... YECH!
Here what I suggest. Use lighter fluid, like Ronsonol Lighter Fuel in the yellow bottle. It's cheap and readily available almost anywhere. You'll also need a pair of tweezers, a plastic soda straw, and some cosmetic wipes.

Lighter fluid is naphtha, which is highly volatile and leaves no residue.

1. Saturate one end of a Q-Tip with fluid. Generously apply the fluid to the sticker. Do this one or two times, really saturating the sticker. Don't worry about staining. It looks bad when it's wet, but within minutes all traces of the naphtha will vaporize.

2. Use something non-metallic (like the end of a plastic soda straw) to peel up one corner of the sticker. Grasp the sticker with the tweezers and VERY SLOWLY peel up. VERY SLOWLY. The sticker should easily come up. Use more lighter fluid if necessary to keep the sticker saturated.

3. Once the sticker has been removed, examine the area on the comic where the sticker was placed. There may be some adhesive residue. or discoloration. Alas, the discoloration can't be fixed. BUT, residue can be safely removed without further damage. Apply lighter fluid to a cotton cosmetic pad (available in any drug store) and GENTLY swab the area with the adhesive residue. You'll see it comes up on the pad. Swab the area a few times VERY GENTLY, WITHOUT APPLYING MUCH PRESSURE, to avoid removing cover inks. You may get a slight bit of color transfer on to the pad, but it will be minimal.

4. Make sure the area under the sticker is smooth and adhesive free with a few more gentle swipes with the cosmetic pad.

Comments

• dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 192
    Does this method work with the ultra sticky foil security tags they slap on the pricier (Well, Pricier than normal) Toys R Us boxes? I slowly peel the tags off but sometimes end up lifting some the box printing too! I could just leave it on, but I also prefer clean boxes.
  • recordmanrecordman Member Posts: 44
    Lighter fluid is the best. I've been using it for 35 years to remove stickers from everything; record labels, Hot Wheel Redlines from the 60's, boxes, anything. Just take your time and use 2 or 3 soakings if needed. There are different kinds of glues so be aware. I use a very fine tweezer and a jewelers magnifying visor as well.
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    ^ don't smoke at the same time. I actually like some price tags on but hate clearance tags so I remove those. And agree lighter fluid works great.
    kiki180703
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    It depends on the sticker, but I've had the most success using the hair dryer method. Just be careful not to blast it for too long or with the heat set too high, as you CAN warp the box this way. I'll also follow this with a tiny application of Goo Gone if there's any stubborn residue.
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    Goo Gone + swab = problem solved
  • pumperxpumperx Member Posts: 106
    Hair dryer for me. Works like a charm.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    Yes, the hair dryer method is the most effective way for me to remove stickers.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    My way of removing the sticker is to take the legos from the box. I never understood the mentality of keeping legos in the box? Other things I get, but Legos hold their value either way, why not enjoy them?
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Regardless of whether they take them out of the box or not, some people like to keep the boxes for their own collections. And, for most people, it's nicer to have a clean box than one covered in price stickers.
  • popnfreshpopnfresh Member Posts: 9
    Sometimes there is nothing you can do, especially the rfid security stickers, those things are meant to stay stuck sadly.
  • popnfreshpopnfresh Member Posts: 9
    that being said, a good soak with ronsonol and slow careful peeling with plenty more fluid brushed on gently can work miracles.
  • phantom78phantom78 Member Posts: 23
    hair dryer method has been working great for me
    and using something called de-solv-it (the australian version of goo gone) to remove the leftover sticky residue