Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Requesting Valuation of the old Town Plan

GlazefreakGlazefreak Member Posts: 10
edited February 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
I recently found a large wooden box with compartments, hundreds of Lego bricks and a masonite game board.
Box has black, yellow and red labels
Lego systems by samsonite
Is this valuable?

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,765
    Have a look and see if is on here
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?q=samsonite
    but I'm guessing this might be a good one for @Istokg
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,099
    edited February 2012
    @andhe would know!! (I like the sound of that! ;-)

If it's not this one.... we'll need some pics. There's another set that it could be....

All LEGO wooden box sets are notorious for not having a set # written on the box. It often gets put onto a "Contents List" that is the first part of the set that gets lost. This is the case for both sides of the Atlantic!
    ... or is it this box.... (if so I would like to see the Masonite board image)....

Glazefreak, I am anxious to hear from you about your find.... it could be very rare.

Attached below is1/8 of a Samsonite LEGO retailer "reorder" form of August 1965. And of all the sets listed, 2 have never ever been spotted.

The last one on the list is the 7100 set shown above (largest LEGO set of the 20th Century). Just above that is #472 miniature car assortment set, which is a retailer shipping box of 72 1:87 LEGO vehicles, each in their own garages. Never seen one of those shipping boxes yet.

But it is the 750 set just above that... listed as "Educational"... that has me hoping that this is the set that you may have. The white wooden box image above may or may not be such a set. That box image was from an unknown source.

If Samsonite LEGO actually made a Masonite Town Plan board set (Germany had a similar one from 1957-62 (#700) that had a 2 piece Masonite lid as the Town Plan scene), it would be quite a find and a rarity.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,765
    @Istokg, your knowledge astounds me, be interested to here from @glazefreak.
    edited February 2012
    BUMP....

The Masonite Town Plan boards were sold in 2 styles...

1) this example is of the style shown below in a German 1957-62 #700 wooden box set, it consists of 2 pieces.

2) in a 1960s style (different board layout). Those boards were only found as retailer display items... unless of course @glazefreak found a USA Samsonite version... which I have never seen before.... it would be very rare... partly because the retailer display boards had all the parts glued down to them.
    edited February 2012
    [duplicate post]
  • GlazefreakGlazefreak Member Posts: 10
    I believe that it is the first version you suggested
    I will attach pics if I can figure out how on my iPhone
    I will also email them if anyone is interested or can make comment

The set is not complete but most of the parts are there I think. Many of the extra parts ( trees, cars , etc) are not in the box
  • airjordanairjordan Member Posts: 33
    email @lstokg or pm him. He is anxious to help you!
    I cannot determine how to attach a photo but based on what I have seen from the information on various websites what I have is an early 60s wooden Educational set box full of what I believe are mostly parts contemporary to the box including most or all of the labeled pieces associated with the Town Plan (Esso service station, hotel, etc)
    The game board folds. The material did not look like typical cardboard so I thought it might be Masonite. After researching this for a couple of days I now believe that it is cardboard ( since it folds)

I am an antique dealer near Macon, Georgia. I was trying to determine what I had and what it might be worth.

I cannot find any wooden boxes like this one on the websites for sale so I have nothing to compare it to. The box, game board and most of the pieces are well played with.
    Does this look familiar? The 1961-66 USA/Canada Town Plan board....
    That looks like what I have.
    Does anyone have a recommendation on how I should "offer" the old box with 62-65 cardboard Town Plan and what looks like 80-90 percent of the old parts? I am assuming that I should inventory the parts.
    Would it be better to sell as a lot or individually?

Well first you have to determine what you have. We haven't seen any pictures of it yet.

Does the box top and contents look like these 2 images? If not, then we need to see some photos.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012
    Does anyone have a recommendation on how I should "offer" the old box with 62-65 cardboard Town Plan and what looks like 80-90 percent of the old parts? I am assuming that I should inventory the parts.
    Would it be better to sell as a lot or individually?
    Istokg is clearly the expert here, but IMHO you are going to want to sell this as a single lot. Parting it out will destroy the value as it will just be a bunch of individual vintage LEGO (which isn't that special) instead of a vintage LEGO set.

I'm looking forward to the pictures.
    I still cannot crack the code on pasting a photo in the
    i see it has the same graphics but not on the box top. the box is made of wood and the photos and graphics of the example istokg posted are on a cardboard insert that unfolds into the map of a town.
    @Glazefreak you have 2 different items... a #246 Town Plan board that was sold either separately, or came in the large #725 Town Plan cardboard box set.

Your wooden box is indeed the #7100 Educational set.

Here are several images (don't have higher resolution images unfortunately)... one shows the box w/ contents, and the other with the rarer parts, especially the scale 1:87 LEGO 8 VW Beetles, a red Bedford fire truck, tow truck and Esso Tanker Truck. These vehicles are the big $$$ items in this set, so check if they are included. Also shown are details of the box, and the paperwork originally found in this very large set.
    I bought a collection of small cars from the same person but the Lego cars do not seem to be in there.

I think that all I have is what you have seen.

I guess what I have is of minimal value. I thought that the box might be worth something.