Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO / Levi's mashup...

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,324
edited September 20 in Everything else LEGO
As mentioned here.

So I'm wondering if, a few months ago, a lawyer approached Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, in a plot twist taken directly from 'Brewster's Millions', and said 'If you can run the Lego Group into the ground in the next two years, you'll get your actual inheritance of eleventy trillion krone!'
bricktuarybandit778KungFuKennymadforLEGO

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,916
    I'll believe you when I see the official announcement about a Galidor and Jack Stone reboot. Better still a Galidor vs Jack Stone theme.

560HeliportFizyx
  • OldTownBricksOldTownBricks VirginiaMember Posts: 27
    It's a licensing agreement for a capsule collection. It's not harming LEGO's bottom line in any meaningful way. Levi's did it with Star Wars last year. They've done it with Disney before. 

It seems there's a market for LEGO-branded apparel in the same manner as Star Wars/Disney apparel given the collaborations with Uniqlo, Adidas, etc. 
    LyichirFizyxstluxAyliffe
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 864
    It's a licensing agreement for a capsule collection. It's not harming LEGO's bottom line in any meaningful way. Levi's did it with Star Wars last year. They've done it with Disney before. 

It seems there's a market for LEGO-branded apparel in the same manner as Star Wars/Disney apparel given the collaborations with Uniqlo, Adidas, etc. 
    I for one am all for an increase in Lego-branded apparel. I used to wear all sorts of Lego T-shirts, hats, and similar accessories as a kid, but once I graduated out of youth-sized clothing the selection of official Lego merch that actually fit became rather sparse. Now that at least appears to be beginning to change a little, with collaborations like these.

Granted, I would love to see things get a little less... generic. I don't object to the "classic" Lego look with fields of bold primary colors, but it'd also be wonderful to see a wider range of colors/styles offered ranging from multicolored outfits like these to more subdued monochromatic looks. Not only would that allow me to better integrate these sorts of things into outfits, the increase in variety would make me that much more likely to pick up multiple styles to mix and match throughout the week.
    FizyxAyliffe
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,788
    I just scoff at the prices on the apparel to begin with. Looking like an elitist company is not a way to gather more fans IMO. LEGO has been getting to be more 'big ticket' looking lately and I'm not really sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. I'm sure the cheerleaders will say its good, but I just still recall the 90's for LEGO and see that as a cautionary tale that you wonder if the leadership at LEGO does not recall anymore.
    I'm still waiting for a buildable hood ornament for my Aston Martin One-77. :-)

bpk2300
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 445
    Well, City has pretty much gone Junior again, like it did in the late 90s/early 00s.  Not a good trend.
  • OldTownBricksOldTownBricks VirginiaMember Posts: 27
    I just scoff at the prices on the apparel to begin with. Looking like an elitist company is not a way to gather more fans IMO. LEGO has been getting to be more 'big ticket' looking lately and I'm not really sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. I'm sure the cheerleaders will say its good, but I just still recall the 90's for LEGO and see that as a cautionary tale that you wonder if the leadership at LEGO does not recall anymore.
    As with most things, I think price is all relative. Levi's have pretty middle-of-the-road pricing: a standard pair is $40-50 and occasionally $30 on sale. They've got the high-end, American-made stuff for $150-$200, and special fashion collections around $100. There are plenty of jeans that are cheaper and plenty that are WAY more expensive. These seem to be in the same ballpark as earlier Star Wars and Disney jeans. 

I'll agree that I miss the 3-for-5 Final Duels and Shell Promo sets we used to get at KB Toys in the 90s, but it seems like the price for part has remained relatively constant. 
    stluxLyichir
    daewoo said:
    Well, City has pretty much gone Junior again, like it did in the late 90s/early 00s.  Not a good trend.
    Uh... no it hasn't. Even the 4+ City sets are a far cry removed from the days of "Town Jr.", and the more advanced stuff is far more detailed and complex than any classic Town sets, period.

People all the time try to compare any instance of Lego trying new things to the late '90s, but there's a world of difference between a company that has been in decline for decades actively making their situation even worse by spreading themselves too thin (then) and a company that is basically at its peak branching out to engage new audiences in addition to the core demographic that they have already effectively secured (now).

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,827
    Lyichir said:
    daewoo said:
    Uh... no it hasn't. Even the 4+ City sets are a far cry removed from the days of "Town Jr.", and the more advanced stuff is far more detailed and complex than any classic Town sets, period.

People all the time try to compare any instance of Lego trying new things to the late '90s, but there's a world of difference between a company that has been in decline for decades actively making their situation even worse by spreading themselves too thin (then) and a company that is basically at its peak branching out to engage new audiences in addition to the core demographic that they have already effectively secured (now).

You claim that in the late 90's, Lego had been in decline for decades? On what do you base this assertion?
    klinton
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,091
    It's generally observed that there was a period of complacency in the early '90's, with the culmination of bad decisions in the mid-90's and 2000's with Jack Stone and Galidor.

I don't think LEGO was in any sort of decline in the '70's or '80's.
    560HeliportMr_Crossstluxklinton
    Lyichir said:
    daewoo said:

You claim that in the late 90's, Lego had been in decline for decades? On what do you base this assertion?
    My bad, that was more of a misstatement. More like "a decade"—specifically, their growth stopped in 1993 (several years after the patent on the automatic binding brick expired and competitors began to arise) and reversed itself over the following decade as they made the poor decision to fast-track multiple expensive and ultimately unsuccessful product lines and categories in a vain attempt to avoid obsolescence.

My point was that things like innovation and brand-building, in themselves, are not signs of failure. On the contrary, they are strategies that work best when the company has already essentially maximized growth with their traditional demographics. Lego's recent moves to expand their appeal in markets like China as well as to adult fans take place in a context in which Lego already occupies a fairly dominant position among toy companies in North America and Europe and is consistently one of the most in-demand toys for kids. Similarly, the expansion into partnerships with other major brands represents a strategic focus on building cultural cache and brand loyalty beyond the immediate toy industry. If those were happening in a context in which Lego were actively losing relevance in the West or among their traditional 4-16 demographic, it'd obviously be cause for concern. But that couldn't be farther from the case currently.

Now, the real measure of whether Lego "learned their lesson" from the '90s and early '00s wouldn't be independent actions like these, but rather their REaction to a decline if it were to take place. I think if that were to happen, you would most likely see more of these kinds of brand expansions get abandoned or at least put on the back burner. There are still many people involved in high positions of the company who played a key role in their overall recovery, so I don't have the same pessimism many seem to have in assuming that the company lost the guiding direction that allowed them to rebound from near-bankruptcy to market dominance.

560Heliportstlux
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,827
    I don't think the Levi's and Adidas partnerships would seriously hurt TLG if they fail- there's not much "Lego" in them. Lego Art, just three new molds, the 16x16 plates (which surely will be used in other kinds of sets), the picture hanger, and the big brick separator, so not much risk. I just don't see any of these new ventures as a big risk for TLG. A lot of them hold no interest for me- but that's fine, I don't have limitless money or space, and there's plenty of stuff I do like to choose from.
    AstrobricksKungFuKennyMr_Crossstluxbpk2300LyichirAyliffeklinton
    I find it funny what some people will or won't wear. A single coloured tee shirt with the Lego logo on, I'd wear that. A single coloured cap, I'd wear that. But trousers and shoes, never. Third party advertising above the waist fine, but below looks weird (aside from sports kit).

But I'd only wear one logo item at a time. No need to go FKW.
    560HeliportSumoLego
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,161
    So, no sweat pants that say BRICKY across the butt? ;-)
    Bumblepants560Heliportpxchrispanchox1FizyxSumoLegomic27
    edited September 18
    ^ I would buy those yoga pants.  For a friend.  Actually, for @Legoboy.
    CCC said:
    But trousers and shoes, never.
    I draw the the line at socks.  I only wear Star Wars socks.  That is what brings balance to the Force.

Just keepin' it real.
    Astrobrickspxchris560HeliportLegoboyBumblepants
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,769
    SumoLego said:
    I would buy those yoga pants.  For a friend.  Actually, for @Legoboy.
    Lol. Looking forward to this.
    Astrobricks560HeliportFizyxBumblepantsSumoLego
    SumoLego said:
    ^ I would buy those yoga pants.  For a friend.  Actually, for @Legoboy.
    CCC said:
    But trousers and shoes, never.
    I draw the the line at socks.  I only wear Star Wars socks.  That is what brings balance to the Force.

Just keepin' it real.

Dark side on left and Jedi on right, or vice versa?
    560HeliportCymbelineSumoLegoMr_Cross
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 445
    edited September 18
    Lyichir said:
    daewoo said:

Believe what you will.  City is back to cars without doors and less complex designs.  That's a step backwards, in my opinion, so I haven't bought a lot of the releases the past couple of years except on deep discount and then I immediately mod them.  You, of course, are free to believe and spend otherwise.
    SumoLegoMr_Cross
    I get the sense the more 'sophisticated' cars are the Racing Champions sets - which I am sure populate LEGO Cities everywhere in the target age demographic.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,161
    SumoLego said:
    I get the sense the more 'sophisticated' cars are the Racing Champions sets - which I am sure populate LEGO Cities everywhere in the target age demographic.
    You mean Speed Champions?
    SumoLego
    You mean Speed Champions?
    Yes, I meant InstaChat and SnapFace.
    Bumblepants
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,788
    edited September 26
    As great as these LEGO Levi products may be, that these will not stop an NX-5 Planet Remover.
    KungFuKenny
  • henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 245
    I don't want to be a hater, but I am extremely disappointed by the LEGO × Levi's co-branded product line!  Not because the products are over-priced (they are), but because of the deep-seated misogyny embedded in the offering.

Did anyone else notice that the entire product line is offered in men's or Unisex products, but only one product is offered for women? (and the most iconic Levi's product; Jeans is not available for women!)

Further still, the only product available for women has an obviously sexist name: The Ex-Boyfriend Trucker Jacket.

There is absolutely no reason that the naming of a jacket designed for women needs to imply a relationship to a current (or former) male romantic partner. It’s disrespectful to all women, and exclusionary to women who don’t have a partner or aren’t attracted to men.  May I suggest “Loose-fitting Denim Jacket” as an alternative?

For more details, and a tone-deaf  quote that Levi's made when I contacted them about this issue, feel free to read a longer article I wrote at https://brickarchitect.com/2020/co-branding-lego-x-adidas-ikea-levis/

Let's work together to make the LEGO Community and the world as a whole more inclusive for women!

—Tom Alphin
    560HeliportFizyxCymbelineLyichirLostInTranslationmustang69