Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[US] Damaged Box Discount on Pet Shop (19218) at Woodbridge, VA LBR

mikersoftmikersoft Member Posts: 57
edited February 2012 in Shopping USA/Canada
Hey everyone.. I've been lurking for awhile, but decided to join up to share this deal. I was just at the Lego store at Potomac Mills, Woodbridge, VA yesterday.. They had at least 10-12 Pet Shops marked down to $119 due to box damage.. Someone must have knocked over a whole pallet! :-) Obviously, this is a great deal for those that just want to build it, MOC, or get a bunch of good parts & don't need a perfect box. I picked up one for myself to MOC. For those that are into buying & selling, I imagine this price might allow for some decent profit down the road when the set is retired.

-Mike

Moved to Shopping USA by YC 2/5/12

Comments

• gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    For $8.50 more one can get a pristine box. One would get less for it down the road as well if one decided to sell it. Plus, you are tying up a good chunk of dough for a set that is not even close to EOL.

Good buy, however, if one is looking to build "now".
  • DavidRod8DavidRod8 Member Posts: 143
    If you are building it, it's a great deal... I had a similar experience with Amazon.... Bought a Grand Emporium and got here all beat up... I took pictures and told them about it and ended up getting it for $105 including tax/shipping.... Since I'm building it, I don't care about the condition of the box...
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    For $8.50 more one can get a pristine box.
    Where?
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Assuming most people can secure a 10% discount + 5% VIP. Also, twice a year you could do 10% + 10% VIP double points. So then $120 for pristine box as opposed to $119 for a beat up box.

Rarely are the beat up box discounts very motivating.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    I build every single set I own, and keep nothing MISB. But I do actually care about the condition of my boxes.
  • choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    Well I wish I could secure the 10% discount, but I NEVER get coupons from them and I have a store within 2 hours of me
    Assuming most people can secure a 10% discount + 5% VIP. Also, twice a year you could do 10% + 10% VIP double points. So then $120 for pristine box as opposed to $119 for a beat up box.

Rarely are the beat up box discounts very motivating.
    Well that's not really apples to apples there. His damage box example was 20% off. I'm assuming it's VIP points on top of that. By "securing a 10% discount" do you mean the 10% off coupons that come with the catalogs?

I agree on the beat up box discounts not typically being motivating. They are usually only 10% off at my local store. I did score a Grand Emporium at 30% off once though - it looked like a forklift stabbed through the box. All the parts were there and unscathed though.
    Well I wish I could secure the 10% discount, but I NEVER get coupons from them and I have a store within 2 hours of me
    Same here - I have a store within 15 minutes, and have never reeceived the 10% off coupon.
    Same here - I have a store within 15 minutes, and have never reeceived the 10% off coupon.
    That means my chances of getting a coupon is 0%. I'm about 15-20 mins away from the LEGO store that is opening in the spring.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ You never know. I receive the coupon sometimes but not all the time.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,118
    when i get my catalog, it always has the 10% coupon. problem is, I only seem to get my catalog about half the time
    ^ For whatever reason, I too miss out on some catalogs. This is really frustrating as I collect them.
    ^Not only do I have to contact LEGO about missing catalogs every time a new one is published, I am also missing the Club Magazine too.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    The last Club magazines I got was a year ago :( And well I had to ask someone to send me those. @Yellowcastle, do you have these with you as well?
    ^ Negative, only catalogs.