Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Geometry question - Is it legal?

Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,321
So, they say you learn something new everyday... well, just a minute ago, my little boy (8) showed me this:

92947 can be set at exactly at 45° - it is mounted on the central stud, the four surrounding studs fit 
The same is not possible with a standard 3941, but is possible with the 98100 truncated cone.

It doesn't stress any of the parts either. I haven't encountered this geometry before... I doubt it's new to some of you though. The question I have is, has it been used officially in any sets? Is it strictly legal?

I looked for a general building tips and questions thread, but couldn't find one (happy for this to be moved if there actually is one).
Bumblepantsomnium560HeliportAstrobricksMynattFizyx

Comments

• iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 75
    For what it's worth, I just checked this out in Studio - Like you said, the collision tool there says that there are no collisions with 92947, but there are with 3941.
    Mr_CrossAstrobricks560Heliport
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,971
    I haven't seen this before, either! Your boy might have a future as a LEGO designer! It must be legal, since the clutch power feels right. 
    Mr_CrossAstrobricks
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 284
    I never noticed it before either but now that I compare the two 92947 is smaller in diameter than 3941. 
    Mr_Cross560HeliportAstrobricks
    So I've been playing with this a bit, and I've found that there's enough 'slop' n the stud notches on the 92947 that they can be just a little off 45°.
    I wonder if this makes it an illegal connection- because you might then make other connections that would put strain on parts. 
    BumblepantsMr_CrossFizyx
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,445
    No more illegal than stacking two 1x1 bricks and not lining them up :)
    Mr_CrossmadforLEGO560Heliport7BSFizyxVioletGiraffe
    edited August 22
    Cymbeline said:
    I never noticed it before either but now that I compare the two 92947 is smaller in diameter than 3941. 
    I think the issue is not the diameter, but the flutes. They cause the notches to be larger on 92947.

OK, off to try every 2x2 round thing!
    Mr_CrossmadforLEGO560Heliport
    No more illegal than stacking two 1x1 bricks and not lining them up :)
    Oh, that's totally legal! It just upsets some people (which is fun!).
    I tried all the 2x2 round parts I could find, and only the fluted one and the truncated cone allow this.
    Mr_Cross560HeliportFizyxRogerKirkKungFuKenny