Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Other Hobbies / Collections

aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
edited July 2012 in Community and Events
What are some of your other hobbies outside of the LEGO realm?

Comments

• StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I play guitar in a band, but Lego is slowly taking over!
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    edited February 2012
    I am a huge fan of LEGO - but I am interested in many other activities.

By far and large, I am an outdoor enthusiast. I spend my summers camping and fishing in the great state of Minnesota (the land of 10,000 lakes) and neighboring Wisconsin.

Every weekend we are either at our lake-home enjoying the outdoors, or we are trailering our camper to a campground or State Park and enjoy a different vantage point of MN or WI. My biggest pursuit in terms of fishing is the Large Mouth Bass. There is nothing better than seeing the bass hit the topwater and take my buzzbait - and my boys and my nephews are now hooked.

However, when fall sets in Minnesota, I am on my local pitch coaching my soccer team. My autumn 'free-time' - what is left of it - is spent in a stand waiting for the Bucks to come strolling by. My true love in life is hunting. I spend a good amount of money on LEGO, but that pales in comparison to my hunting habits. From Mid-October through December I am at my hunting land.

Once spring comes, I am gearing up for the Turkey hunt. I have been shut out the last few years, but that has not waylaid my interest.

Due to my hunting, I have become an avid gun collector. My life-savings is nothing compared to my investment in my fire-arms collection. There is nothing else like finding a gem at a local pawn shop or garage sale - except for firing it for the first time. My father-in-law thinks I am nuts whenever he comes over and sees my arsenal. What he doesn't understand is that fire-arms are the safest investment in US history - even better than investing in land.

So really, that leaves the cold winter months (not that we have had many this year) for my LEGO hobby.

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I'm nuts about mountain biking, and used to race them, as well as having ridden in many countries. I still get out whenever I can, but not when it's -4 like it is today, although I do ride all year round. I don't ride anything like as much as I used to though now I have a little one.

Apart from that I love being outdoors and I love nature, plus I'm interested in historical stuff. Used to play the bass too.
  • ThezoofoxThezoofox Member Posts: 185
    I go to the gym 4 times a week - I'm entering a strong man competition this year, although you prob wouldn't think it to look at me!!!

Love to travel as well, went to Vegas and LA with friends last year and i'm off to Chicago and Cincinatti this year.
  • bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    I am a Discworld fan and massive collector of the books.
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I like to travel abroad. It's something you gotta die for, since you get to see other parts of the world and experience foreign culture with your 5 senses.

I made a homepage to dedicate my second hobby;
    www.travelling-lodge.com

Come and drop by!
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I collect action figures, old bottles from the 1800's and other antiques. I have a rather large collection of African Neolithic stone artifacts. I also play guitar.
  • jlbbluejlbblue Member Posts: 54
    Collect guns, cater to my kids and play sports (mainly tennis, basketball and football).
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,827
    edited February 2012
    - Try to go to gym a couple of times a week. Goodness knows I should given the monthly cost of my membership

- Reading history, in particular World War 2, but also read quite a bit of material on Tudor England and other periods, such as The Romans.

- Interested in European economics and political history. I actually have a degree in this area.

- Am also a big fan of movies, although I feel myself getting more and more choosy (discerning? lol), as the years go on. For instance, despite many attempts, has there been an action/adventure movie that has bettered Raiders of the Lost Ark in the last 30 years? I am not so sure!

All this is fitted around a job and a young daughter that I have half the time.

rich
  • smokingtommysmokingtommy Member Posts: 24
    i fly RC helicopters and have done for many years
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    LEGO is my only hobby! :)
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 211
    When i'm not playing with LEGO or spending time with my family (usually playing with LEGO) i like to ride motorbikes.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Other hobbies? You'' be sorry!
    Seriously though.... that would be a long list, but I'll keep it short... also not as active in some as I used to be due to my current life settings.... ;oP

Toyotamobilia - I collect all things Toyota, from brochures to toys. Especially interested in early Toyota history and cars, as well as concept vehicles. See http://www.toyotageek.com/
    Family - my wife & dog are my number one hobby these days! LOL
    Japan - I'm from Germany, and I live in California, but I love visiting Japan (my wife's homeland)
    Comic books/Manga - cut way way back, now only into Hellboy, Usagi Yojimbo (my favorite), getting started on Mouse Guard; several manga series, but currently reading Yotsuba&!.
    Gardening - on haiatus due to time constraints.
    Aviculture - also on haiatus, but hope to get back into it one day.

Numerous other interests that aren't quite hobbies.... almost anything Sci Fi or Fantasy from books to movies to...: Star Trek, Star Wars, LOTR, D&D; nature and science - wildlife watching, birdwatching, I used to do volunteer archaeology, hiking, sightseeing. There's more, but you get the idea...
  • julian977julian977 UKMember Posts: 65
    Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK , I also ride mountain bikes rather a lot, in fact I would say it is much more my main hobby than Lego is. I race a bit too, but in order to make the faster racers feel better rather than to win anything! I used to be in bands as a guitar player but not done that for six or seven years....
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 839
    Plenty of other things, plus child number 1 in a mere matter of weeks (which makes it all the more worrying that a number of my hobbies involve small, brightly coloured, chokable parts!)

I play the piano when I get the time and collect Transformers as well... here is about half (my favourite half, given limited shelf space) of the collection (the rest sitting up in the loft)

• Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 948
    Photography: When I'm not drooling over the latest LEGO sets I'm drooling over shiny gear that I probably don't need. Of course, the two hobbies go quite well together :) (LEGO shots can be found here)

Music: Currently studying for my Grade VI cello exam.

I also like to keep fit since I don't have any team sports to keep the heart ticking over. I go snowboarding for a week every winter (sometimes I have to skip a year on account of funds and others not being able to commit).
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    @mr_benn, that's an amazing army. How long have you been collecting?

I do a few other things to stay busy. Primarily video games or CCGs/board games.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    Was addicted to MMO's for over a decade: DAoC, CoH, WoW, et al and then I hung up my Staff of Ultimate Power and went outside.

Lately, the lure of Star Wars: The Old Republic has been getting harder to resist. The one big upside to MMOs - they are a LOT cheaper than LEGO.

• lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 416
    Other expensive collectibles. Lego was seriously the last thing I needed to add to the habit.

• YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Hi all...please remember that any/all discussions here should really be LEGO related. We made exceptions previously on the "What does everyone do?" and "Where are you?" threads for a multitude of reasons not the least of which being that they showed the true expanse and diversity of our community here.

It is however a slippery slope, one which we have chosen not to traverse. We'll go ahead and leave this thread open but please note that it will gradually lose ground to both newer and refreshed discussions. Please don't hesitate to PM myself or other staff if you have any questions. Thanks...
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Totally understand where you're coming from, but these sort of threads do build the community spirit, gradually getting to know each other etc...

For me, my main hobby is roller derby, I train around 3 times a week and bout around once a month. I also like crafting eg sewing, crochet, papercrafts. And of course lego, lots of lego. I've just recently found a way to combine my 3 hobbies :-D

• tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    ^^ that's too bad, this is a thread I really enjoyed (what there has been so far). It makes people/members more...multidimensional. But I can see where it might push the "rules"...if this gets allowed, then what about when the "What's your favorite movie" thread comes along...where does it end??

As far as hobbies: besides getting to spend lots of quality time with my wife and 2 daughters, I like poker, fantasy and real sports (baseball/football), biking, listening to audiobooks as much as possible when multitasking allows it (girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy and game of thrones series are my most recent). I also enjoy photography and videography, but haven't been diligent lately in those two hobbies as I should be with 2 kids to keep up with.

Sooo...what's everyone's favorite movie anyway? ;-)

• OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 630
    Many other forums do seem to have a "discuss anything besides the main purpose of the site" category, but it's really up to the site admins I guess. Usually I never venture into those topics, I'm here to talk about the subject at hand...

Anyway, I stopped collecting SW action figures when the LEGO hobby ramped up big-time a few years ago, but I still have all the old Kenner figures and the newer Hasbro versions from 1995 to about 2007 or so. I enjoy playing modern board games as well; however, a new job and my 9-month-old daughter encouraged me cut back from regular meetings to just a few game days here and there. I'll always make time for Twilight Imperium 3 though, what a fantastic game! And I'm always reading 2-3 books at a time...
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited February 2012
    Weekend softball (with bad knees) player here. Not as much as I used too though.
    Like to collect some Sideshow statues and Transformer (no where near the awesome collection of mr_benn. Great pic man!)
    Guitar player (again not as much as I used too) and even though it's my profession, I do like to draw for friends and family and great folks I meet at conventions too.
    Big time NY Yankee fan (go to a few games a year), NY Knicks and Pittsburgh Steelers fan!
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Well, apart from LEGO (collection is not that big but I can win the Best LEGO collector in Pakistan hands down), we collect Hot Wheels, Transformers (great picture Mr. Benn, too bad I cannot show it to my kid as he would make me sell LEGO and buy more Transformers), then we collect miniature plastic animals (my kid wants to become a Zoologist as well), Xbox gaming, lots of indoor games, R/C racing outdoors, Cricket, movies, music, reading....
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    Astronomy, although my telescope has been collecting dust since my daughter was born 4 years ago. I will definitely take it out again this Spring though.
  • roperroper Member Posts: 21
    i have been into transformers,gi joe,and marvel/dc graphic novels and darts.But lego is here now,i was only going for star wars at first but being on this forum you have got me thinking about green grocer,cafe corner and on and on and on lol ;-)
  • aplbomr79aplbomr79 Member Posts: 159
    @yellowcastle

Sorry, I was just interested in what the other members were into. I just find it interesting to know what other people like to do... I am just trying to strengthen the bonds on our little corner of the inter-web.
    @aplbomr79 - you did good ;o)
    Every forum needs an off-topic arena, and me thinks Brickset should open one up.
    I don't understand the reluctance and discouragement we get in this regard, as long as such discussions are kept in their proper place.
    :o/ 'nuff said..... I best keep quiet before I gets banned! (joking)
  • bixtrix77bixtrix77 Member Posts: 53
    My number one hobby is keeping and breeding exotic finches and waxbills. The breeding side tends to start March through to September so this gives me a few months to become besotted with plastic bricks! My birdkeeping helps fund my LEGO obsession! Lol
    Oh, I see this discussion has been SUNK.... shame.

@bixtrix77 .... hmmm, sounds tempting; I may have to get back into raising finches.... anything to fund the LEGO habit, eh?
    @Legogeek With the import ban that came into play in 2006 the price has risen drastically per bird approximately 300% average! More money for new lego sets :D
    @bixtrix77 Wow... You're in the UK right? Don't know how or if the ban affected us in the US, but I do know prices have gone up. I've been out of it so long...
    @Legogeek Yeah I'm in the UK. I think a lot of the imports that the UK were getting are making their way over to the US so you will find availability of once rarer species easier to find. Prices will definately have gone up too. If not you are very lucky.
  • omgitsrenzoomgitsrenzo Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2012
    I was wondering to see whether you AFOLs out there collect just Lego or other items
    I personally had an extensive coin and gundam models collection .. But Lego takes up the bulk now
  • KLOKRIECHERKLOKRIECHER GermanyMember Posts: 119
    I'm a big Formula 1 fan! :-)
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Watching TV... my favorite shows currently are Burn Notice, Top Gear (UK), NCIS, Metalocalypse, and iCarly.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,959
    The only other thing I collect too much of is model tanks. I've got well over a thousand now (mostly WW2 stuff), ranging from 1:144 scale to 1:6.

Making a Lego tank is the next obvious step for me.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,810
    I enjoy Martial arts I study Jui Jitsu.
    History; books and museums. I focus mainly on medieval and Roman as well all other periods are very boring.
    Also a big Batman fan and podcast about him alot.
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2012
    While Lego is my main obsession, I also collect the Monster High dolls which are always a nice change! :D What else do YOU collect?
  • iBartiBart Member Posts: 121
    I collect souls.
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    I also collect Minichamps Formula 1 models... They are nice little vehicles.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    UK coins (mainly C20th)
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    ^I collect those olympic 50ps!
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    "I collect spores, molds and fungus."
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 338
    I kind of collect Monster High dolls also, as my daughter is the one who really collects them and I serve as her financial backer. :)

Lego is the only thing I actively collect now. I was big into Minimates for years, and will still pick up the odd set if it has original, well designed characters.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I collect bodies..... :P

No, really I'm into Hornby and all that stuff
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,959
    I collect model tanks. I have well over a thousand, which gets a few looks from SWMBO as most are on display. Fortunate, she is more approving of Lego purchases.
  • jlpythonjlpython ILLINOIS, USAMember Posts: 77
    I'm getting away from it now to focus on Lego, but I also collect(ed) GI Joe - the 3 3/4" stuff as opposed to the 12" figures and sets.
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    I collect Corgi, Conrad and Joal Die-Cast Trucks, Plant Machinery but mainly Mobile Cranes as well as the Lego range of crawler, mobile and tower cranes but I can't play with the die cast stuff as much as I can with Lego!
    Did I say play?