Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset bouts: Quarter final results

Brickset.comBrickset.com Administrator Posts: 6,532
edited July 2020 in Brickset.com articles
Brickset bouts: Quarter final results

The last two quarter-final bouts have just ended so I can now reveal the results as well as the make-up of the semi-finals.

The two contests fought yesterday were, in bold:

1. 10193 Medieval Market Village vs 10243 Parisian Restaurant
  2. 70620 NINJAGO City vs 79003 An Unexpected Gathering
  3. 21310 Old Fishing Store vs 71043 Hogwarts Castle
  4. 75192 Millennium Falcon vs 21309 NASA Apollo Saturn

Find out which sets will join Parisian Restaurant and Old Fishing Store in the semi-finals after the break...

Continue reading »

© 2020 Brickset.com. Republication prohibited without prior permission.

Comments

• pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 1,926
    I'm happy that the Saturn V beat out the MF, but bummed (though not extremely unexpectedly so) that #79003 lost out to Ninjago City.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,704
    I'm amazed the the Saturn has such a large following, I will really have to check out the instructions as someone suggested, to see these building techniques everyone is raving about. It also broke my run of voting for every winner so far... 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,307
    edited July 2020
    The Saturn V has its fans but will also have benefitted from the anything but Star Wars (or insert other popular license here) voters.
    andheThe_RancorMr_Cross
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,331
    edited July 2020
    ^ Yes it seemed a lot of votes for Saturn V weren’t wholly because it was a better-designed set, but because they didn’t like ‘big sets’, expensive sets, Disney in general, or felt that Star Wars had ‘taken away’ their in-house space sets. Unfortunately for the Falcon people who are at least quite regular fans of Star Wars don’t outweigh them.

Like I said in my piece I’d argue that the building techniques are just as good in the Falcon. But so many people haven’t built it that it’s hard to get that across well in a written piece .

I wonder what the defence of the Fishing Store against the Saturn will mention in the next round? Perhaps more colour, actual minifigs, additional clever building techniques and textures, a detailed interior etc.
    BumblepantsMr_Cross
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,618
    I have #21309 and both #10179 and #75192 and love each of them. However, for me, this came down to the fact that even though the newer Millennium Falcon is an improvement, LEGO has had two cracks of the whip to get it right... and I still think there is a lot of room for improvement. Furthermore there are lots of other Millennium Falcons to choose from too, my personal favourite from the officially released sets is #4504 (this is subjective and you are entitled to think I'm wrong fwiw because nostalgia and personal experience each play a role in that choice).

So, even though I think the MilF is an incredible model and it's a great build, I dunno, I just felt Saturn V was the better set... it is pretty much a perfect representation of the real thing, and at scale, given the limitations of the available parts, I was astounded! I didn't have that reaction to either of the UCS Falcons. I've built #21309 with my son a couple of times now and he's just built it on his own too (he's 8). I honestly don't feel like trying to build #75192 with him just yet.

I'll freely admit that the Black VIP card debacle did (in retrospect) dampen my enthusiasm for the MilF somewhat...

Perhaps other external forces are at work too. This is just my opinion, but for me, the sequel trilogy is equally as tolerable/intolerable as the prequel trilogy for various reasons. Somehow though, the new films have murdered my love of Star Wars and by extension Star Wars LEGO, in a way that I managed to avoid/ignore with the prequels.
    The result, whether fair or not, is that my loyalty and blinkered love for the franchise has gone. I don't expect anyone to agree with me - this is personal preference and experience too.
    However, a consequence of this is that I have picked up only a select few of the ST sets when they were on offer and even fewer of the OT re-releases.
    Don't get me wrong, I still have enthusiasm for it and mostly I find it all quite enjoyable, I'm just not as obsessed as I was.

I was slightly disappointed (having advocated for it) that Slave I was knocked out, so perhaps there is a very real possibility that my judgement is clouded... I suspect that most people have a similar problem and are voting inconsistently based on personal experience with the sets they own.

The contest is always going to be down to popularity and popular opinion. I'm repeating myself from a post on the front page somewhere here, but we will crown one of these sets "best set of the millennium" but it won't be.
    ...the best sets of the Millennium are of course #31088 and #31058 because SHARKS and DINOSAURS!

...but, as the Dude says, "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.".
    andheM_Boss
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,331
    ^ I agree with most of what you said regarding the Falcon and Apollo, except the prequels and sequels point (which isn’t even really to do with Lego sets directly).

I think we’ve got to the point of differing levels of popular opinion:
    - OT - always been pretty popular
    - PT - generally becoming more popular
    - ST - still unpopular (I like them to a certain degree though, particularly Last Jedi which 99% of people on the internet hate)
    - Rogue One - i’d say also always been popular. The only people who don’t like it just hate the idea of knowing what happened before Episode IV imo
    - Solo - middling, people neither rave nor rage about it but I thought it was a good heist movie

560HeliportMr_Cross