Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

No more ”Fun in/at the..” People pack sets?

SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 90
Hi
Is anyone else missing the minifigure people pack sets ”Fun at the...”? Like set 60134, 60153, 60202, 60230 and 60234?

I know some people thought they were expensive for ”mf only”, but I liked them for what they do for my city: populate it with more females and kids + small complementary builds that often are fun to build and that i always could fit into my displays (space-wise) - well except the space-set for me...
Also good for me since I dont have a BAM-bar close by.

When the small MF sets, such as 40373, were released I was thrilled! Love the fancy packaging and thought they would be an alternative cheaper pocket money/impulse buy or complement to when one thinks its to long between larger MF sets - but now it makes me sad if it replaces the larger sets...

What do you think? Have the People packs been replaced or just not released yet? (I dont know the annuall frequency LEGO usually releases sets - June 1st, July 1st, Aug 1st?) Has the ”product line” ended?

Did you like those sets? And if you did, did you buy them? Would you have liked them to be continued (like I do, if they have ended)?

CM4SFowlerBricks

Comments

• SilverLoveSilverLove SwedenMember Posts: 90
    Ps. I also liked the sets for the variation they provided. Regular City sets usually come with a few fire/policemen or ”bad guy/gal” (ie clothes with black&white stripes) - something I dont want more of even if they are slight alternative new prints. 

40372 is such an example. So its not just a matter of buying 2small sets instead of one large set.
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 274
    Bear in mind there was two released last year compared to the one per year in the three years before that. So that might be this years' slot taken up, but I agree it would be a real shame is Lego did decide to stop doing them, though I don't personally think that's the case at the moment.
    KingAlanIgmonkey76SilverLoveAyliffe
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,759
    edited July 2020
    The fair and the space ones are still current having been out about one year, and if like the previous ones, will go through to Christmas. Will there be new ones released this summer? Who knows, maybe. LEGO's release dates seem a bit messed up in some cases, no doubt due to production capabilities. I imagine they will be back at some stage.

KingAlanIgmonkey76SilverLove
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 472
    I would like to see more of these people packs. There are lots of possible themes that could be done. 
    I see the Ninjago set Gamers Market #71708 as a people pack. It doesn't have quite as many minifigs but fills the same purpose.
    560HeliportBumblepantsstluxgmonkey76SilverLove
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,150
    edited July 2020
    SumoLego said:
    I'd love to see a 'Fun in Quaratine Pack', followed by a 'Misery in Quaratine Pack' with disheveled faces and shaggy hairpieces...

They can also do a figure running with rolls of toilet paper.
    SumoLegoHugeBlueBrickKungFuKennygmonkey76graphitedavetheoxygenman
    Too late. Stores near me are discounting toilet rolls, and some of the deals you can get on pasta now are great. I'm hoping for similar in LEGO once demand drops when kids are back at school and adults at work.
    Mr_CrossMynattcody6268madforLEGOgmonkey76
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,125
    I'm still holding out hope for a winter/snow themed City pack.
    560Heliportgmonkey76andheBitsyww2evantylerSilverLovebpk2300mic27
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,713
    Maybe Lego thinks it would be a bit of a kick in the nuts to release a "Fun at the XXX" pack while everyone is on lockdown. I guess they could do a "Fun at the pub" or "Fun at the statue vandalism" now though.
    hmnicoll1560Heliportgmonkey76pharmjodSilverLoveAyliffePyrobug
    Fodder said:
    Fun at Home... 

Someone trying to order a desk from ikea to work from home
    panchox1gmonkey76SumoLego
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 934
    SumoLego said:
    I'd love to see a 'Fun in Quaratine Pack', followed by a 'Misery in Quaratine Pack' with disheveled faces and shaggy hairpieces...

They'd have to package it in a bigger box, though, so the figs could socially distance...
    560Heliportpanchox1gmonkey76CymbelineandhepharmjodAyliffePyrobugcatwrangler
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282

Fun at the Prison Break out

Fun at the Towering Inferno

Fun at the Volcanic Eruption

Fun at the Building Demolition

Fun at the Bank Heist

CM4Sgmonkey76FowlerBricks
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,208
    Lyichir said:
    They'd have to package it in a bigger box, though, so the figs could socially distance...
    They'd all be wearing N95 masks under their motorcycle helmets.  Just for not longer that four hours...
    gmonkey76davetheoxygenman
    @DB361 and @CCC ok, that makes sense. Lets hope that is the reasoning behind no such sets released yet this year. And with the pandemi going this year. I dont mind another set later this year or to have to wait till next year, just hope they will continue with this
    Tkatt said:
    I would like to see more of these people packs. There are lots of possible themes that could be done. 
    I see the Ninjago set Gamers Market #71708 as a people pack. It doesn't have quite as many minifigs but fills the same purpose.
    Happy to hear that you like them too!

Wasnt aware of that set, thats great for Ninjago-fans! If there where more crazy coloured MFs for Ninjago City + Docks I would buy them in an instant. But lead character wise I already have to many of them. Great variants though, especially since not all if them got their own pods.

Makes me wonder if there are other sets that are not part of the Fun in the...that could also be bought for the same purpose (without paying a fortune for a main build).
    Tkatt560Heliport
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    "Fun at a Protest" ..........looting, burning, destroying.
    SumoLegoGibbo1959Brainsluggedmsandersdavetheoxygenmanoldtodd33CM4S
    CCC said:
    Someone trying to order a desk from ikea to work from home
    And then someone trying to assemble said desk at home.  It should come with an extra axe...
    gmonkey76560Heliport
    I'd like some 'Orderly Management at the COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing Facility' complete with a helicopter, police cruiser and fire engine.

'Cause that has some fun re-playabilty.  
    gmonkey76560HeliportmadforLEGOKungFuKennyBumblepants
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,689
    ^What about the lighthouse?
    560HeliportmadforLEGOKungFuKennymsanders
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,098
    1265 said:
    Also contains extra long police batons for heavier beatings
    vanvonfullmsanders
    Fodder said:
    Fun at Home... 
    Someone baking..
    Someone building lego
    someone gardening, sleeping, riding a stationary bike, watching tv, video gaming, board gaming.....
    I dont know if you were joking, like many others do here, but I think that would be a lovely idea. That set could include many nuce accessories that previously have mostly been included in CMFs, for example.
    edited July 2020
    SumoLego said:
    Dont know how to say this without sounding like a besserwisser, so just going to say it straight out:
    while I appreciate your humor (and the witty humor of most fellows on this forum), I also know you to contribute with valueable information. So I would appreciate it even more if you could, in addition to your humourous lines, also write at least one sentence that answers any of the questions in the original post.

If you feel no need to add to speculations, I would still appreciate to know if for example you like these sets or if they dont interest you at all. Anything that brings the subject in the original post forward: Im asking because Im curious and want to know what others think regarding this.

I guess, what I wished with this discussion thread is not only speculations to get my hopes up for the continuation of these people packs (Or start preparing mentally for not getting anymore of these), but also to find fellow fans of this type of product - like some discussions for the Friends/Ninjago/City where its nice to see other peoples reasons for liking the same things as oneself or getting to know why others dont like them. But getting mostly unrelated jokes makes it feel like the subject wasnt worthy of an halfhearted reply.
    (and i hope to not get a reply like ”jeez, chill, its just a forum on the internet...” from anyone, since I hope I managed to explain myself better than getting misunderstood like that).
    560HeliportBrickfan50
    I'm still holding out hope for a winter/snow themed City pack.
    Dont have any WV sets (came out of my dark ages to late). But since getting the city advent calendar, Im really falling in love with the winter-dressed MFs, there are so many nice accessories too: beanies, hats with ”earflaps” (dont know the english word), scarves, skiis, skates etc.

@Brainslugged Thats true, didnt think of it from that perspective... Although playing/building things that are not doable right now is also helping in getting through hard times. Perhaps bigger sets are better in keeping one occupied though... [Argh, mustn’t fall for the temptation of Barracuda bay...]
    SumoLego
    edited July 2020
    I was serious.  A 'Fun at Home' Pack would actually make for some cheeky nods at the lighter side of pandemic.

(The rest of it is just my standard nonsense, obviously.)
    560HeliportSilverLovegmonkey76Ayliffe
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 934
    Okay... speaking seriously, the lack of a people pack so far this year (and the reason we're not going to get a stay-at-home themed one before the year is up) could well be one and the same: a lengthy development process for any sort of set.

If Lego had a people pack planned for this year it would likely have started development well before the pandemic the world is dealing with became apparent, and depending on what sort of subject matter it explored (and whether it seemed appropriate for the new global reality of wearing masks, staying indoors, and socially distancing) might have seemed worth cancelling or delaying. For example, a "Fun at the Parade" or "Fun at the Concert"-type set might only reinforce how distant a reality those kinds of public gatherings can seem right now.

Similarly, as cute (and useful!) as it would be, it likely would take some time to take a people pack designed specifically FOR the current moment to go from a concept to being produced and available to purchase—even if they did have that idea and went through with it, it would probably take until next year at the earliest to have one available, especially given that several of Lego's factories are still playing catch up after shutting down early on in the crisis.

Of course, who knows? Lego could do a surprise announcement of a people pack for this year at literally any time. Perhaps this year's pack is a "Fun in the Snow" pack that they decided on releasing closer to the Christmas season, like the Winter Village sets, and that's the only reason we haven't had news of it yet.
    SilverLove
    edited July 2020
    While I think the people packs are useful, I'm not sure they sell too well. I see them on sale A LOT for a good discount (usually for 40%+ off ...which I do not mind, but guessing retailers may). I think it may be due to perception of 40 dollars for nothing but figures and some props. Now, even at retail, these are not bad sets necessarily, but if for that same 40 (USD) you get a handful of figures and some vehicle or small building many may just buy the set with building parts in it.
    SilverLoveKungFuKennygmonkey76daewoo
  • FodderFodder AustraliaMember Posts: 333
    Fodder said:
    Fun at Home... 
    Someone baking..
    Someone building lego
    someone gardening, sleeping, riding a stationary bike, watching tv, video gaming, board gaming.....
    I dont know if you were joking, like many others do here, but I think that would be a lovely idea. That set could include many nuce accessories that previously have mostly been included in CMFs, for example.
    It started out a little tongue in cheek, but a set like this is something I would like to buy....
    SilverLove
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 584
    I agree with madforLego.  $40 is too high a price point for what it is.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,298
    I picked up a Fun In The Park awhile back to add some people to my Winter Village. I'd LOVE if they did a Winter people pack to really fill out the streets and town square. 

I've never pulled the trigger on a fully priced set, however. As Daewoo stated above (and MadforLego), $40 is just too much. 

Not sure as to the likelihood of them continuing. 
    SilverLove
  • HemelHemel Member Posts: 36
    Just imagine a 'Fun in the "snow"' pack being released in the autumn.

Add that to the white 32x32 baseplate released at the beginning of this year and the Ikea Bygglek 'boxes' that can be used as raised baseplates....we might see some really stunning Winter Village displays this year!!!
    560Heliportpanchox1SilverLove
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 414
    I'm a fan of the "Fun in/at the" packs.  I always wait to get them at a sale price though, usually no more than $32 so at least 20% off.  For those saying they are expensive at RRP they really aren't.  Figure that a 3 pack from the BAM in the Lego stores goes for $9.99 so that's the same as buying 4 of the 3 packs from BAM plus you get the side builds in the people pack for added value.  The people packs usually have about 15 minifigs so that's a bonus BAM 3 pack as well.  As another way to calculate the value figure that a single CMF pack costs $4-5 so 8-10 CMF's are the same price as one people pack with the added side builds as a bonus.

I too am hoping for a Fun in Winter Pack.  Love those Flap ear hats.  But the Advent Calendars are really already a Winter people pack sort of.
    SilverLove
    karrit said:
    I'm a fan of the "Fun in/at the" packs.  I always wait to get them at a sale price though, usually no more than $32 so at least 20% off.  For those saying they are expensive at RRP they really aren't.  Figure that a 3 pack from the BAM in the Lego stores goes for $9.99 so that's the same as buying 4 of the 3 packs from BAM plus you get the side builds in the people pack for added value.  The people packs usually have about 15 minifigs so that's a bonus BAM 3 pack as well.  As another way to calculate the value figure that a single CMF pack costs $4-5 so 8-10 CMF's are the same price as one people pack with the added side builds as a bonus.

I too am hoping for a Fun in Winter Pack.  Love those Flap ear hats.  But the Advent Calendars are really already a Winter people pack sort of.
    But that is the thing. It is the perception of the cost. Many (i.e. the majority of LEGO purchasers) do not know (or would care) that the BaM is 3 for 9.99 (USD). They just see a bunch of figures for 40 dollars vs a similar cost for 4 figures and a build of something. They do not realize how much a figure really costs, retail wise, and you get no Superheroes or Star Wars characters in them. (Now those would be an interesting fun at...pack but LEGO would likely charge at least 80 USD per pack).
    Personally I think you can make a kid fairly happy with a few of the Creator minifig scale sets and one of these 'fun at the...' packs. Plus they are good buys for those who feel their kids already have too much LEGO in terms of parts, but the figures do not take up as much space. So there are buyers, but not as many as I think people think there are (and many not enough to warrant LEGO stopping these).

SilverLove
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,013
    edited July 2020
    Toc13 said:
    1265 said:
    Also contains extra long police batons for heavier beatings
    And this given out by the local Politicians......

oldtodd33
    karrit said:

Another thing to consider is that BAM figures are not that expensive in other parts of the world. In the UK it is 3 for £4.99. Plus BAM often have interesting parts and you get to choose, whereas a lot of the fun packs are fairly boring torso prints that are really quite cheap on BL. 

Here, the fun in the park set was £35 so equivalent to 7x BAMs packs = 21 figures plus accessories. 
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,221
    I dunno, but it seems to me that a "Fun in the ... people" set might run afoul of Lego's strict morality stance...
    catwranglerFizyx
    Thank you all that have posted in this thread! Its been really interesting to see others stand points and reasoning not only if they like these sets or not, but also how they think the sets are fareing (?) sell-wise.

For me, the sets are a good way to satisfy my Lego-cravings, without taking up to much space. From that stand point Im fine with paying a little bit more per piece, although I understand those that buy other types of sets instead for the same cost.
    Also, since Im not a MOCer or have extra parts laying around, I appreciate the set designers small side builds that come with these sets.

I hope its a corona-thing we didnt get a new set this year, perhaps like in one of @CCC earlier post - we did get two of them last year.

And Im happy Ive discovered the Bricks&Pieces, its been a good way for me to expand my Lego citys population without having to buy entire sets. Just wish I had a BAM closer to me...or had other reasons to go to the captitol more often... I love the variety at the BAM!
    BAM gets some amazing parts, but I believe BaM parts are all Chinese made, and that is likely why BaM pricing has been the same for.. well even since I have been using it, for about 10+ years... even though they do get new colors for some hard to find parts -especially from CMF molds (which did just start at the tail end of 2018 I believe), and CMFs have gone from 2 USD per pack to 5 USD per pack (yeah I know technically '4.99' but c'mon its one penny). The fun at the .. sets are just a nice way for someone who may have been buying their kids a lot of starter boxes of LEGO to get a jump ahead if they have been a lot of part packs, but not many figures. They really are no different than the Dacta people packs. Other than the figures all revolve around a theme now. and are not their own little 1 or 2 figure 'vignettes'.
    SilverLove
    BaM pricing has been the same for.. well even since I have been using it, for about 10+ years...
    CMFs have gone from 2 USD per pack to 5 USD per pack...
    The fun at the .. sets are just a nice way for someone who may have been buying their kids a lot of starter boxes of LEGO to get a jump ahead if they have been a lot of part packs, but not many figures. ...the Dacta people packs.
    We only got ”our” Lego store 5years ago, and by ”our” I mean in Sweden. I live in another city 40mins away by train. There is a second (official?) one in the other end of the capitol that I would like to visit someday. So happy that I atleast live in the right end of the country :)

CMF getting expensive = opportunity to exercise The Prioritize-skill ;) Nah, i do feel sorry for completionists. I agree that CMFs have gotten more expensive than to my liking...I usually by around half the series, have a few minutes of angst ”I could’ve bought a smaller set instead of these few MFs”, but then feel better about the MFs taking up less space than any other sets.

I just got reminded of another reason why I like the Fun in/at the...sets: the ratio females to males is 1:1. And it is diverse also in terms of ”age”.