Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bleaching whites with trans clear windows

gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 593
Hey gang- building #6441 Deep Reef Refuge which has 4 of these that need an H2O2 bath- will the windows be ok in there? Cant seem to pop em out (& dont want to take the chance of breaking them)

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,678
    You could try a sacrificial clear part that is common / cheap first. If they get damaged, you could use painters mask, a type of latex that you paint on to waterproof an area of paper (or here plastic), then rub off once finished.
    gelkstermadforLEGOMaffyD
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 593
    edited July 2
    When I first started the H2O2 process a few yrs.back, I did the truck windshield from 1976's #550 Windmill trying to bring it back to clear but it made it more opaque. That's why I'm apprehensive about doing the white panels...but those are 10 yrs younger & a different tint than the old windshield 
    Of course when I Google "painters mask"...

Is this available at hobby shops &/or hardware stores?
    I use Vallejo's liquid mask. Video on its use for model painting here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baRI3VYyDT4

It gets called different things in different places and by different companies, masking fluid, liquid mask, latex mask, etc.
    gelkster
    edited July 2
    OK sending my wife to the hardware store for it & will check a hobby store later today as well. Worst case scenario- I'll have a super white clean panel with a ruined window 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,706
    I guess the question is would it screw up the 'glass' or just put a layer of crud on it, if just a layer then a headlight plastic/acrylic cleaner may clear it up after the fact as well.
    gelkster
    edited July 2
    She wasnt able to find the liquid mask :(

But didn't Jang say it "etches" into the plastic?
    I've used liquid mask on regular LEGO parts and it peels off just fine. I haven't used it on LEGO glass parts. I have used it on clear polycarbonate parts from other manufacturers though (airfix and similar) and they are fine afterwards.

edited July 3
    gelkster said:
    She wasnt able to find the liquid mask :(

But didn't Jang say it "etches" into the plastic?

There are a bunch of options in Amazon. @CCC is there a specific manufacturer that you use that may be available worldwide?

I thought the Vallejo paints range was available in the USA. That is the one I've used.
    madforLEGO
    CCC said:
    I thought the Vallejo paints range was available in the USA. That is the one I've used.

Found it on Amazon. Thanks @CCC