Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Will there be a 2012 PotC release?

Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
edited February 2012 in Collecting
There was a rumour here
http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/1958/predictions-on-next-lego-sets-to-sell-out#Item_1539
(mentioned by Mr Flump initially) that there's another PotC release due this year.

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    There were rumours over on Brickset of someone being shown another ship (The Flying Dutchman, no - not the 'spongeblob' one :P), from a fairly reliable source who was 'in the know' about LOTR also.

But Huw did say in his Toy Fair report "Cars and Dino, no more sets on the way, Alien Conquest, Harry Potter and PotC 'exit' in July...", so I'm guessing the final ship will mark the exit (similar to the Kingdoms Joust with the Kingdoms line) of the POTC line. Unless other films came out in the future.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2012
    There were rumours over on Brickset
    Don't you mean brickish? bricklink? or maybe some other brick?

If it's an 'exit' set, it could be fantastic. Joust and Diagon Alley have not disappointed.

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    A PotC Flying Dutchman is happening - from a very reliable source. :o) I'm not aware of another PotC general release, just The Dutchman.
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!
    It'll have to be super-intricate I'm guessing, so could well be a stunner.
    (Getting hopes up as always, knowing there's an 80% chance I'll be disappointed. But it _could_ be fantastic)
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    I've also been told that this is coming and it would kinda fill the gap left by the IF! But I can't see it being given the same detail or piece count. In POTC the Pearl is more iconic and that wasn't the set it should have been!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    ^ My belief is that it is as "super-intricate" as Si hopes and that the piece count is a healthy one. I agree, the Black Pearl for me was a huge disappointment, but I'm told the level of detail in TFD is "something else".
  • anastasiaanastasia Member Posts: 20
    Oooh, I'll be looking forward to this! I loved QAR and I actually really like the Black Pearl too. Wonder when it'll come out then?
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I was told about this third ship from a very reliable source who also told me about the LEGO LOTR theme. Back then I was not visiting the Brickset Forums and only checked it for new sets. But soon enough saw the news the TLG has the license for the LOTR theme. But the third ship rumor is old, like even before Black Pearl was released. So now I think it will be an exit just like @andhe mentioned.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I like PotC too, and plan to grab a couple FD's if and when they arrive. Gotta love the ships...
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    ^ and it's abbreviated already!! Add it to the glossary....
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    edited February 2012
    ^ Welcome to Catchphrase!! Just say what you see now!! [said in broad Irish accent]
    (God, I loved that programme)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ It's good, but it's not right!!!
  • purple_hazepurple_haze Member Posts: 95
    ^ LOL!
    To be honest I hope they don't bother with the dutchman- just another set to be dissapointed in (the pearl and the QAR were both lacking in my opinion in certain areas, although as display pieces they are very nice).
    I'd rather see a return to the normal pirates line with a pirate flagship to rival the Imperial Flagship.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^ I like that the IF is bigger, it means we need all the POTC ships to make it a fair fight :)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,426
    There were rumours over on Brickset
    Don't you mean brickish? bricklink? or maybe some other brick?

If it's an 'exit' set, it could be fantastic. Joust and Diagon Alley have not disappointed.

It was early, I meant Eurobricks! If the new POTC FD :P is as exciting as it sounds, I may have to take the plunge and buy my first ship.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Yea I've been following the rumors on classic-pirates. I don't buy them personally. I think it originated with someone being shown a "picture" of a highly detailed Flying Dutchman, by a LEGO store employee. Didn't give a very good description but what he did describe was some set being 2000+ pieces and basically mimicked rumors on brickipedia. Most seem to believe he mistook the Digital FD for an actual set.

I think it was a made up rumor. Several times have other members asked for more specifics and to my knowledge he never answered any of them. Without a movie in theaters, it doesn't make sense to release a new set, especially the Flying Dutchman.

People have suggested the FD could be a direct-2-consumer set just like the MMV, IF, Kingdoms Joust, all marking the exit of each respective theme but those were all NONlincesed sets, and I feel like it was more of an appeasement to its fans because both themes were to be replaced by other themes. PotC being isn't being replaced, it's just being discontinued.

As for the Diagon Alley, although it too was a D2C set, it didn't mark the end of the theme.

Don't get me wrong, I think if it were true I'd love the idea of a FD and would most definitely buy it (Having collected all Minifigure scale pirate ships so far) but I just don't think it's realistic. When PotC 4 was being made, I did hear that it would be the start of a new trilogy, so maybe more sets will come with the release of a new movie, and possibly a FD THEN, but as someone pointed out on Classic-pirates, the ship that they used in the movie was destroyed, so it's unlikely it'll make a return in future films.

THEN AGAIN, the Black Pearl was destroyed to make the QAR and the black pearl definitely has to make a return. So you never know...
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,007
    I'm still skeptical but I will admit that I have no inside sources.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    When it comes to a movie franchise as popular as PotC, they can build more ships... Really, they can... :)

And yes, there is a 5 and 6 coming, Depp has already signed a contract to do them, or so I read on the Internet, and that is NEVER wrong! :)
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,007
    edited February 2012
    A) If they were planning a FD release, then why did they put Davey Jones and his crew in the other sets?
    B) Since the retailers are in the process of dropping the theme, I assume this would be a direct set. Has LEGO ever released a licensed direct set while also discontinuing its entire theme?
    C) Where could they possibly find the room for this on the shelves?
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I thought the same thing. Why use Davy Jones in the Black Pearl ship instead of FD. And according to Hollywood news, I agree with @LegoFanTexas about # 5 in the making so I think LEGO will launch the FD by Oct-Nov this year (as they did with Black Pearl) and STOP the POTC line till 2013 summer for the 5th POTC movie. Its going to be so cool to add another ship along with QAR and BP.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    In the history of cinema, I can't think of many films that get better as you make more & more sequels, normally it's the other way around.

I like the lego though.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited February 2012
    A) If they were planning a FD release, then why did they put Davey Jones and his crew in the other sets?
    B) Since the retailers are in the process of dropping the theme, I assume this would be a direct set. Has LEGO ever released a licensed direct set while also discontinuing its entire theme?
    C) Where could they possibly find the room for this on the shelves?
    Stop it @Yellowcastle...you're using logic to burst my dreams and it's making me sad.... :-(
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2012
    On topic now, I would be very surprised if Lego released a Flying Dutchman. This is literally the busiest schedule I can remember for them. There is not enough shelf space in many retailers store's, both online and physical, which is why you are seeing heavy discounting of older sets (35%+ is not uncommon at the moment).

If I was working in strategy for Lego, I would cut back slightly on sets, as the choice is getting bewildering!
  • canuhandle23canuhandle23 Member Posts: 104
    nothing new will come out. until another movie. They have soo many sets that there isnt even room in store for these items.