Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Moving - any advice?

MeganLMeganL Chicagoland Outpost, Brickset TowersMember Posts: 132
I'm moving in the near future - about 800 miles.  We're having packers come and pack and move everything for us, and of course that includes my LEGO collection.  Any advice for things to do/not do to prepare?  I have some ideas, of course, but would like the community's collective advice.....

Comments

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 3,082
    Whether you dismantle your built sets or not, put the instructions with each set. If you pack the instructions separately, Murphy's Law pretty much guarantees that a box of instructions will end up misplaced somehow- behind other boxes in the garage, or something like that. You'll find them exactly five minutes after you give up and download them. 
    FizyxpxchrisMeganLMr_CrossMynatt
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 289
    I just moved my entire collection a couple months ago. I started taking some of the sets apart, placing them in plastic bags and then labeling them. After a while this became too tedious.

I ended up buying huge plastic bags and placing the full set inside. I then used large moving boxes and neatly stacked the sets inside of that. I removed any sails, flags, poles, antennae, etc and placed them in separate bags so they didn't break. Ship sails were placed between flat pieces of cardboard.

I only moved about 25 miles so I was able to move the larger Star Destroyer sets myself with minimal destruction. I don't have much direction on how best to move them unless you used a separate moving box for each one. 

Good luck with your move, and I hope this helps at least a little.  
    MeganL
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 668
    Might be good to see some photos of your collection as it stands. For instance, I wrapped my storage drawers in cling film, but don't know if that's relevant to your situation or not!
    MeganL
  • MeganLMeganL Chicagoland Outpost, Brickset TowersMember Posts: 132
    My collection is somewhat "easy" to pack - all of my sets are in their boxes with only a few exceptions, and I did take the assembled sets apart - they were mostly modulars, and I wrapped each floor in Saran Wrap (cling film) before putting in their box.  All of my loose bricks are in Ziploc bags, so they should be easy to throw in a box.

Right now I'm in the process of taking pictures of each of my sets as proof of ownership in case anything happens.  I'll admit I'm a little nervous as I have some lovely sets that are retired that wouldn't be easy to replace.

The one downside to this is that now my husband has a true sense as to the size of my collection :-)  
    560Heliportgmonkey76
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 5,171
    If you care about the condition of your boxes, then pack them neatly in larger boxes in such a way that they don’t move around too much or crush each other in transit. In other words, the way you’d do it if you were shipping them via UPS or something.
    Fizyxgmonkey76
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    I wouldn't ever let a packing/moving service pack up my collection.  They don't necessarily have context into how to handle or what to do with things.  I would check with them on how they handle it if you already have a bunch of stuff boxed up and would just take care of the collection yourself.

As for the actual packing of built sets, what I've done in the past is break down major pieces that come off easily (masts/sails on pirate ships, wings on hinges on space ships, anything that might break easily, anything small that sticks up that will just fall off with the slightest touch).  I put small stuff in ziploc bag and then if the set is small enough it goes into gallon or 2 gallon ziploc or a garbage bag for larger sets. One set per bag, so if pieces fall off they are with the set.  For the larger sets with the garbage bags I use packing tape to wrap the bag somewhat tight around the set.  Then I stack them in moving boxes taking consideration to size/weight/fragility for what goes on the bottom.  Label boxes with "THIS SIDE UP" stickers or marker.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,334
    I just moved my entire collection a couple months ago. I started taking some of the sets apart, placing them in plastic bags and then labeling them. After a while this became too tedious.

I ended up buying huge plastic bags and placing the full set inside. I then used large moving boxes and neatly stacked the sets inside of that. I removed any sails, flags, poles, antennae, etc and placed them in separate bags so they didn't break. Ship sails were placed between flat pieces of cardboard.
    I’ve taken much the same approach as NicksBricks above, except I apply to my collection even when i’m not moving at all, and don’t use any plastic bags. I just place the sets loose but built inside storage boxes.

It’s not as reckless and easy as you think though, I always do what’s mentioned above re:fragile parts but otherwise it’s a very careful stacking exercise ensuring everything fits together with no undue pressure on specific areas like wings or legs which are harder to disassemble. As I have a lot of spaceships I also avoid applying pressure to windscreens and larger clear areas where possible. It’s a bit like a puzzle when reopened but loading up the box carefully prevents heartbreaking wonky parts because something was leaning on them too much or they were getting crushed.

Probably easier ways of doing this but I do know this method takes up the least room in storage boxes if the models are staying assembled.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,780
    If you plan on building all of your sealed set at a later time I'd would open them, and put the bigger boxes. As we all know there is a lot of wasted space in a lego box. I massively down sized my living space a few years ago so I could pay of my school loans and save for a house. I put 99% of my collection in storage. Kept the Modulars built in big plastic tubs and wrapped clothes around them. All other sets are broken down in there own Ziploc bag, and put in boxes. The new sets I still got were combined by theme into the biggest box still in their plastic bags with the set numbers on them. The good news is I'm finally looking at houses, the bad news is I can't find anything I like in my price range right now. 
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,621
    We moved about ten years ago, did it ourselves in a rented van.
    Most of my sets were partially broken down in their respective boxes and packed for storage in outer boxes in our loft so I was reasonably happy about those being fine for the journey (approx 90 miles).
    However, I was still concerned about my parts collection getting dropped and inevitably flying everywhere. I had (at that time) the laughably small equivalent of about three akro mils storage drawers possibly half to two thirds full. We cut and carefully folded bubble wrap into each drawer and then sellotaped it down in both directions but without turning the draw upside down.
    It was mostly fine, no droppages! Unfortunately there were a few scratches here and there on sets I'd left partially built - not enough to get in a tizzy about, but I think I'd take better care if we ever move again.
    I think I would want each set fully broken down into bags (not correct to original LEGO packing/bagging). I'd be tempted to add air-sack packing things where appropriate and/or newspaper/amazon paper to fill up the voids too. I would do all that myself, I don't think I'd trust movers to understand.
    With really big sets, as others have said, I might take off delicate bits and pack the built model in separate boxes using plenty of bubble wrap etc. I wouldn't trust the movers with this either.
    Just thoughts really, hopefully something in that is relevant.

Fizyx