Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any set(s) you regret buying.

CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 278
I was looking at my Ideas Treehouse and thinking why did I buy you? For some reason it's a set I have never really liked, have no idea why I even bought it and if I had my time over I would pass on it. I didn't even have a good time building it it was so fiddly at times.
This was the first set I bought and built where I wished I didn't.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with regrets over certain sets.

Comments

• FodderFodder AustraliaMember Posts: 314
    I have a pile of Spongebob sets that I have no use for, yet can't bring myself to sell..
    andhe
  • hantothantot UKMember Posts: 263
    UCS Super Star Destroyer... maybe i wouldn't have bought every single star wars set ever if it wasn't for this purchase...
    FizyxBrainsluggedKungFuKennyandhe
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 841
    There are a number of sets that I wish I'd waited until they were under a bigger discount to buy instead of jumping on early, but I can't honestly say that there are any sets I own that I absolutely regret buying.
    560HeliportdrdavewatfordFizyxMr_Crosssnowhitie
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,117
    Most of the sets from the Dino 2010 line, and the main reason I regretted buying them was that the American post-apocalyptic version looked so much cooler than the Poundland Jurassic Park we got. Also, the ‘mutant’ dinosaurs sucked so much in comparison to pretty much every dinosaur element we’ve had since.

Bonus points go to the Rebels Stormtrooper battle pack. I still haven’t built it because i’m thinking “But why would I have melty face stormtroopers amongst the perfectly good other ones?”
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,610
    I really don't regret any of my purchases- if I'm less excited now than when I bought them, they're always good for parts. 
    Mr_Cross
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 379
    Star Wars Constraction figures and the Modular Family Villa #31069 along with the other two "modular" 3-in-1s that came out at the same time. At least the other two depending on their builds are ok in my city but I don't care for how flimsy the entire concept feels. 
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,321
    #42111 Technic Dodge Charger from Fast & Furious.  It could have been awesome as a Creator Expert set, but it was an unpleasant build, didn't look all that great in the end, functionality was minimal and just an overall disappointment.

First set I've bought since I came out of my dark age in 2012 that I wish I hadn't bothered with though, so I guess that's not a bad ratio. 
    Mr_CrossKungFuKenny
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,562
    The Flintstones Ideas set. I convinced myself it would look better "in the brick" than pictures on the web, but I was wrong.
  • flightriskflightrisk USAMember Posts: 142
    I really don't regret any of my purchases- if I'm less excited now than when I bought them, they're always good for parts. 
    Not in my case.  I picked up 25 sets of #21312 for $7 a piece a while back and have no idea what to do with them - yet.  
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,116
    #42111 Technic Dodge Charger from Fast & Furious.  It could have been awesome as a Creator Expert set, but it was an unpleasant build, didn't look all that great in the end, functionality was minimal and just an overall disappointment.

First set I've bought since I came out of my dark age in 2012 that I wish I hadn't bothered with though, so I guess that's not a bad ratio. 
    Not sure if your into modding sets but Efferman did quite a good job on this.
    https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-42308/efferman/42111-doms-charger-how-it-should-be/#comments

thedingman5stluxMaffyDandhesnowhitie
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 551
    "Regret" is a strong word. In effect, I don't regret any of my LEGO gifts or purchases. Even in the case of LEGO gifts I didn't want (i.e. that time my rude cousin gave me a Jack Stone set for Christmas), I always had the consolation of knowing they contain parts to add to my overall collection.

However, I will admit I feel a small twinge of consternation, perhaps close to regret, in buying the 2015 version of Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle, knowing even that the set was unable to replicate the wing-opening action as depicted in "The Force Awakens". But the real angst set in with last year's re-release of Kylo Ren's Shuttle, now with correct coloring, cooler minifigures (two Knights of Ren!), AND a proper wing-opening function. I consider seriously for the first time selling off my 2015 one just to replace it with the 2019 version. To date, I haven't done that, but man, even as I type this, I feel very tempted to. All that dark bley could be put to good use, however!
    The_RancorFizyxsnowhitie
  • GrannyLEGOGrannyLEGO FloridaMember Posts: 152

That's what I keep telling myself anyway!
    andhe
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,085
    The Flintstones Ideas set. I convinced myself it would look better "in the brick" than pictures on the web, but I was wrong.
    Really? I love that set! I get that people were annoyed that it didn't include all of the figures and side builds in the original proposal, but I was quite satisfied with the set upon release. It's certainly one of the more unique structures I've built. :)

However, I will admit I feel a small twinge of consternation, perhaps close to regret, in buying the 2015 version of Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle, knowing even that the set was unable to replicate the wing-opening action as depicted in "The Force Awakens". But the real angst set in with last year's re-release of Kylo Ren's Shuttle, now with correct coloring, cooler minifigures (two Knights of Ren!), AND a proper wing-opening function. I consider seriously for the first time selling off my 2015 one just to replace it with the 2019 version. To date, I haven't done that, but man, even as I type this, I feel very tempted to. All that dark bley could be put to good use, however!
    I didn't buy the 2015 Kylo Ren's Shuttle until I was able to get two at 50% off. My plan was to build one, then modify the second to have the wings fold accurately. But I never got around to it, and now I have the 2019 version also, so the "extra" 2015 one is slowly being raided for parts for MOCs. 
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,190
    My "regret" isn't a set I bought for myself, but ones my other half bought for me... I really shouldn't be so churlish, as it is the thought that counts but, even after constant reminders to not buy any Lego for me without checking first, she still bought me #75177 First Order Heavy Scout Walker and then, separately, #75120 K-2SO.
    I'm very selective about the Star Wars sets I buy and neither of those would be anywhere near even a heavy-discount purchase.
    The problem now, of course, is that I don't get bought any Lego anymore. Gutted. :-(
    Brainsluggedandhesnowhitie
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 278
    MrJackson said:
    Star Wars Constraction figures and the Modular Family Villa #31069 along with the other two "modular" 3-in-1s that came out at the same time. At least the other two depending on their builds are ok in my city but I don't care for how flimsy the entire concept feels. 

I forgot about that one. I bought it and the Modern Home set. I built them then took them apart to use on MOCs. Terrible sets.
  • iwybsiwybs PlutoMember Posts: 36
    The Tie Striker from Rogue One, 2016. I thought I'd enjoy the build and the novel shape, but it's very large and heavy without any good place to grip, the wings flop around when you swoosh it, and frankly it's just an ugly shape.  It's a pill, just a great big burrito with wings.  Turns out the only Tie variant I really like is the classic eyeball - and the recolored eyeball from the sequel trilogy, too.
  • vanvonfullvanvonfull washingtonMember Posts: 78
    Unikitty sets & the related “cmf” series. They’re not even good parts packs. 

Any Star Wars Set from rebels, legends, or clone wars. I maybe have a dozen sets. I guess I bought them out of boredom and I haven’t seen the source material. 

I especially thought the separatist shuttle was a weak/flimsy build. 

• Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,168
    I don't regret one single brick. My regrets revolve solely around those sets I didn't get.
    Fizyxklinton560HeliportpxchrisKungFuKennyBooTheMightyHamstersnowhitie
  • ShropshireShropshire UKMember Posts: 286
    I regret the wooden minifigure, I wasn't entirely sure about getting it but thought it would look good on the shelves next to Lego.... but it just sticks out rather than adds anything... still, they handed out 6 "Love Lego Store London" tiles with it so I sold those so in real terms the fig was free... but I am still very near to putting it back in the box.
    KungFuKennyandhe
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 871
    The Simpsons House. Had it been part of a whole series of locations from the series, rather than just 1 of 2, perhaps things would be different.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,724
    edited June 25
    I don't think I regret anything I bought, I just regret LEGO not finishing things properly missing out key minifigures. I can MOC locations, but minifigures not so much. LOTR and The Simpsons are the big two they messed up for me.

I shouldn't have bothered with Simpsons S2, although I didn't strictly buy them. I traded for them when I couldn't get hold of them in store - I swapped a White Boba Fett Polybag for the whole series. With hindsight, a stupid mistake, as they then flooded stores with them.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,212
    iwybs said:
    The Tie Striker from Rogue One, 2016. I thought I'd enjoy the build and the novel shape, but it's very large and heavy without any good place to grip, the wings flop around when you swoosh it, and frankly it's just an ugly shape.  It's a pill, just a great big burrito with wings.
    That's one of my favourite sets, and one of the few I have had on display since building it. I'm a big OT fan, but Rogue One feels like part of the OT to me and every set from that movie knocked it out the park.

I've never bought second hand sets, but about a year ago I bought a whole bunch of used Friends sets for about £20. I washed them all, but ever since, my OCD has prevented me from mixing them with my sets/parts. Partly because some of the pieces were quite badly sun-damaged and partly cos they still feel tainted from other people touching/building them. So now all the sets just live in their own box in the loft, untouched and unloved but still taking up space I could be using for other lego storage.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    edited June 25
    Any Star Wars set that gets a decent upgrade I have mixed feelings about. With the one very important exception of #10179
    KungFuKenny
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,103
    Not in my case.  I picked up 25 sets of #21312 for $7 a piece a while back and have no idea what to do with them - yet.  
    Are you trying to create an army of Nancy Romans? :-)

andhemak0137
  • flightriskflightrisk USAMember Posts: 142
    @KungFuKenny.   And arm them with frying pans?  It’s an option.  (not a good one but it is one lol)

• bluez3bluez3 Member Posts: 12
    I kind of regretted the international Space Station.  It’s not that impressive on display and doesn’t present well when next to the lunar lander, Apollo rocket or Shuttle Adventure.  The ISS looks flimsy and fragile and takes up too much space just to flourish a bunch of solar arrays. 
    BumblepantsCharmiefcb
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 278
    I was very close to buying the ISS but just something about it. I put it back on the shelf because I knew I would regret buying it.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,580
    My "regret" isn't a set I bought for myself, but ones my other half bought for me... I really shouldn't be so churlish, as it is the thought that counts but, even after constant reminders to not buy any Lego for me without checking first, she still bought me #75177 First Order Heavy Scout Walker and then, separately, #75120 K-2SO.
    I'm very selective about the Star Wars sets I buy and neither of those would be anywhere near even a heavy-discount purchase.
    The problem now, of course, is that I don't get bought any Lego anymore. Gutted. :-(
    My wife asked for my Brickset wanted list, I get great sets every time or like my last birthday I got "so I thought we could take a trip to that new LEGO shop in Southampton and you can choose what you'd like"
    panchox1Cymbelineandhesnowhitie
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,321
    My wife asked for my Brickset wanted list, I get great sets every time or like my last birthday I got "so I thought we could take a trip to that new LEGO shop in Southampton and you can choose what you'd like"
    Can you ask your wife to give my wife a call please?
    panchox1jmeninnoCymbelineMr_CrossSpeedman29andhepxchrissnowhitie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,912
    Unrelated, but I regret my brother-in-law surreptitiously purchasing a camper.  

I do not regret planning to use it in two weeks.
    cody6268Mr_Crosspxchris
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,929
    I'm with some others. I really don't regret sets I bought but it's more the sets I wasn't able too.
    FizyxCymbeline
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 278
    edited July 30
    None. I always use the parts elsewhere if a set sucks. Even in the case of the big motorized excavator (which I plan to finally build; once I replace the parts I've lost over the years), I used the parts elsewhere. But, there is 10666; which I do regret. Bought it for the minifig , sand bricks, and loader parts. Cut the axles (standard LEGO axles) from the juniorized chassis (which they were glued to), and threw away the Juniors chassis.  Juniors brings back bad memories of Jack Stone.  It's an evil set, and not just because the last three numbers are 666!

Of course, we could talk about the subject of CCBS sets. Those parts have limited use, aside from the few System/Technic parts in them already.  I've bought a handful from clearance retailers like Ollie's and Tuesday Morning locally, but also a few online.  Given the cost, I feel, that outside LEGO's own themes, get regular action figures. Take Jyn Erso for example (which I might add, I have in CCBS form; paid about $5). For about the same cost as the set's MSRP ($15, I think), I was able to find a very well articulated, high-quality action figure version with rooted hair and fabric clothing that was originally sold through the Disney Store, but it seems the secondary market is loaded with them at cheap prices in the $20 range.
    Was that the deal? "Let me use your camper, and I'll keep your secret."?
    Mr_CrossandheSumoLego
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,168
    There'll be trouble if you're overheard discussing secret liasons with "Winnie Baigo". I've heard she's a smooth ride and will take you to places you've never been before.
    560HeliportKungFuKennySumoLegomsanderssnowhitie
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 428
    My level of regret has changed over the years, depending on my collecting habits.  I'm currently regretting a lot of my early purchases of smaller Star Wars, Marvel, Lord of the Rings sets.  I never built them and now I can't be bothered to build them, as I only tend to display larger sets.

Hopefully a more targeted purchasing strategy will prevent any future regret...
    SumoLego
  • OldTownBricksOldTownBricks VirginiaMember Posts: 17
    I think the only set I've ever regretted was picking up a lot of random parts because I saw a Freeco Speeder (#8085) in it--most useless set. 
    BumblepantsKungFuKenny
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,775
    I'm glad my partner is more akin to @Speedman29 other half, and not @JudgeChuck
    - although she sometimes does go out on a limb and I must bite my tongue when that happens...
    Speedman29
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,190
    She's not *all* bad you know! :-DD
    panchox1KungFuKennyMaffyD
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,085
    I dunno if 'regret' is really the correct word, but I'm inundated with new sets that I acquired during the lockdown. They're all lovely builds that I'd casually intended to get 'eventually', but I've niether the space nor the desire to leave them all assembled. I find their presence frustrating rather than amusing. Usually I'll get a set and leave it out to appreciate for a few weeks before packing it away. Now I've got everything from Overwatch to Ninjago to Freinds to Creator to Harry Potter, all vying for admiration without the usual window of 'appreciation' time between new acquisitions. I want them out of the way, but I hesitate to disassemble any of them just yet. Hahaha.
    Frantic boredom sprees are a bad idea. I regret my lack of restraint, I suppose.
    560HeliportSilverLove
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 285
    edited July 30
    The Fiat #20271. I hate it. It was lovely to build but the colour difference between various of those cool bright yellow pieces is appalling. Having complained to LEGO for the first time and been offered some replacement parts (which, given the extent of variance and number of pieces involved, will not help) I’ve dismantled it and put it in the loft. This is something I’ve never done before. 

Edit: I’ve just been offered a refund so a little polite complaining obviously works. 😊
    panchox1KungFuKenny
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,580
    Can you ask your wife to give my wife a call please?
    LOL. She also loves a charity shop and the supermarket discounts. So I frequently get a text with a photo of a shelf full of sets or a bag of pieces in a charity shop with a ? beside it. A while back she came home with a box under her arm. "I saw this on the local buy nothing group, box looks faded, but its complete and the stickers haven't been applied yet" That was #60034 Another time she appeared with a free #8070 under arm after getting some free books from a FB group
    panchox1
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,912
    Was that the deal? "Let me use your camper, and I'll keep your secret."?
    It's more like, I'm going to slowly step over his cold carcass (once my sister-in-law finds out) and merrily go fishing with my other still-living brother-in-law.

They always find out.  Always.
    KungFuKenny560HeliportMr_Cross
  • f2iso100f2iso100 United StatesMember Posts: 43
    I bought #60195 (Arctic Mobile Exploration Base) for my kids at a steep discount, but right now it's still in the back of the closet. Those big molded pieces are never going to fit in my parts drawers, and even that cool woolly mammoth is just going to end up gathering dust at some point. 
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 408
    f2iso100 said:
    I bought #60195 (Arctic Mobile Exploration Base) for my kids at a steep discount, but right now it's still in the back of the closet. Those big molded pieces are never going to fit in my parts drawers, and even that cool woolly mammoth is just going to end up gathering dust at some point. 
    there is a lot of good stuff in that set to start building a winter themed diorama for the holidays! Santa and his flying woolly mammoth!
    Charmiefcbf2iso100Fizyx
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 667
    Hello, I have a similar thread on this forum:
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/24828/buyers-remorse/p1
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 841
    Lordmoral said:
    Hello, I have a similar thread on this forum:
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/24828/buyers-remorse/p1
    Shoo, shoo, be gone.
    klintonkarritRedbullgivesuwindBumblepantsSirBrickalotOfLego
    I have 2280 sets. I regret none of them. If I like one less than I thought I would, then it's parts for something else.
    Cymbeline
  • GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 183
    The only set I can say I legitimately have ever disliked was The Riddler Chase. I bought it only for Flash, but it wasn't worth it. The dragster was okay for what it is was, but I despised that Batmobile, especially given how bad it crinkled capes. And most of the pieces aren't even that useful for when I work on other people's MOCs .
    KungFuKennyFizyx